Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you... air fry?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you... air fry?

I just bought a Ninja Foodi Dual Heat Air Fry Oven to replace my toaster oven. I cooked some packaged crab cakes and chicken tenders last night and they came out well. Especially the crab cakes which were nice and crispy on the outside. Currently, I'm cooking a bison chuck roast and mushrooms in a dutch oven and will use the air fryer for brussels and fingerling potatoes.

For those of you who do air fry do you have any tips, tricks, recipes you recommend?

I have the same unit and it makes GREAT chicken wings. i put on Killer Hogs hot rub and spray pam over it. Simply delicious

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm definitely looking forward to running some wings through it. Anything unusual you've used it for? Also, have you played with the griddle function? That seems to have potential.

Our oven is a convection oven, so we do very similar to what an air fryer does, homemade chicken nuggets, oven fried pork chops, etc.

Comment

Do you... air fry?

No

Comment

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        Well, okay then.

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        But do you AIR FLY ???

We love our air fryer. We have two now; inside and outdoor kitchen. Best thing we learned was to treat it like a convection oven and Not a deep fryer. Avoid heavy-breaded items like mushrooms, other veggies. Home made lightly coated is fine but frozen vegetables tend to over cook the outside and turn the veggies into a pasty mush. We cook numerous foods in ours. Better half cooks a lot of chuck steaks in them for a fast lunch. Just have to play with the items you like to fry the most. It has become another ' won't due without one' item for us.

Chix wings are awesome in the AF too.

Comment

My son is the air fryer of the house. He puts everything in there! Even sandwiches. I’ll ask him if he’s done anything special. It may just be the breaded/fried stuff that he makes himself for lunches and dinner when I don’t cook.

Comment

We use the air fryer option in our instant pot, works

Comment

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            So, what does air fried PBR taste like anyway?

• bardsleyque
            bardsleyque commented
            Editing a comment
            hot water...

We’ve had an air fryer for a few years and love it. It’s great for appetizer stuff…wings, nuggets, even hotdogs. We do bacon wrapped Jalapeño poppers and they come out great.

Comment

I do not, currently...

Have considerable experience with convection ovens, from previous employment, but do not possess th gadgetry to do so at home.

Comment

• texastweeter
              texastweeter commented
              Editing a comment
              I have a regular convection oven, but don't air fry.

I do not air fry. Two of my 3 kids have air fryers though and seem to swear by them. For me, most of them seem too limited in capacity, which is one reason I tend to deep fry in my dutch oven(s) rather than my T-fal deep fryer - capacity. We do however have an expensive microwave / convection oven / hood combo, and knowing that air fryers are tiny convection ovens, I tried some potato wedges in that a while back in convection mode, but they didn't really crisp up the way I hoped.

I looked hard at that same Ninja oven, until I realized my upper cabinets are about a 1/2 inch too low for the Ninja oven/air fryer to flip up and against the backsplash for space savings... Without being able to do that, the wife would want me to put it away in a closet or pantry when not in use, and its just too big and bulky for that.

Comment

• Attjack
              Attjack commented
              Editing a comment
              You were the one that brought that air fryer to my attention. The flip feature sold me.

I'm about to head down to the cabin where I can finally play with my new induction/convection/airfry range. That oven has a much greater capacity. I will need to order an air fry basket though.

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah Attjack - I was pretty frustrated when I realized it wouldn’t fit on the counters, but glad I measured before buying one.

• Attjack
              Attjack commented
              Editing a comment
              For me it was the exact opposite. I went to measure and immediately knew it was meant to be 😂

Panko and parm encrusted fish and asparagus.

Click image for larger version  Name:	R3Qxcx066e4OpFRf4EPEQeDyG1LehfdbkjXKI8T_Ho3n6pxF50BH0Q8KYtsbejCNFbkP0Hg-LJdF-XeyY2AkccrmJ8FRuILrh5U1WXQdWTLggm2BUBWL9syNO5NsnyrMZ8VKkqKME9EYzNP-VXokcEyAnRB7IfYI1_EFpIEZJw9-V3ztrWwDnApGIneQ8lHsG9NzgDkZxO7nYcSKx-PbkmLhKVEiXGwmh9F_Wzfy2vrd4eIn2VE3c134sGVIebu Views:	40 Size:	317.8 KB ID:	1157182

Air fried salmon.

Click image for larger version  Name:	EK_oJl1Cj_ZCPfqkMdSfNxQeDcBrCey3Wg-85ZjzOxCrJ3cvYmH1sDf7vrTa4mS5N04QGAM7JrZ5VPstKoA4zLUnqpc8H4nEJ8JbXR3foIWUIXVuCCSEzpqLGx7RxXDVrn5DM5DE45Khp-KIDA3LpMcXK2ooiNjI2wSJ9VQ41fMpqhRPvUZ4lfTwuwAVC32NaxS-NjMSgFew0b2dTG8vSJdbHSWllTHYQ0H6F6CZyhUeRYUCiVSk7_pnx_gMR58 Views:	40 Size:	546.0 KB ID:	1157180

Pizza.

Click image for larger version  Name:	fGae6Kc2svARU4Sm34Ugt7fhtAM59prUbukc6hLZvRrnY_dFrMwOpuz2ORi767BYqpYt1hUTveAVpSwnBs-f3ERsNquwwmf59qrHB3GhniUbc1zjHWvU2vqBxHdI1wr695WoasnyY09X5JkRA93IMHTPr-E2EKPe3XQBkCRg12zk97CFdSnoimEs9mtgrZwgMIYc2iemb_V13u__sUZYns_Ciiw7l-7hdbQ2F0I5RIbv1YaSLG2zwuPdrLERJkl Views:	40 Size:	329.3 KB ID:	1157181

Last edited by Attjack; January 10, 2022, 06:09 PM.

Comment

• Attjack
              Attjack commented
              Editing a comment
              DrJimmy2112 Really the cod and asparagus were the results of the air fry function, the salmon was the result of the broil function, and the pizza was the result of the sear crisp function. Sear crisp is also what produced that entire pork tenderloin meal below.

• DrJimmy2112
              DrJimmy2112 commented
              Editing a comment
              Attjack our air fryer is not that slick, just on/off, time and temp

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              Awesome looking plates !!!

There are many people who love and swear by their air fryers

The previous comments are correct: treat it like a compact convection oven and you'll be fine. It is NOT a fryer.

Alton Brown had two amusing air fryer related segments on his Quarantine Quitchen youtube series last year.:

Part one showed how unhappy and useless he found it to be. Lots of need to adjust dials and preheat and other things that might not be immediately obvious.

Part two was after he read the viewer comments and the manual: he seemed pleased with the chicken wing results after that and retracted his comments from the week before. It was quite amusing

our issue with the air fryer and an instant pot is the amount of space they take up. We would not want to keep something that big on a counter, and don't have a place to put them away easily.

Comment

• Attjack
              Attjack commented
              Editing a comment
              It takes some getting used to but this particular air fryer is pretty intuitive. You are right, I simply view it as an oven. The only real trick is figuring out which mode to use for what and then getting a feel for the time whatever you're cooking will need. With that salmon, I just stuck a thermometer in the fish which made it easy. I bought this specific model (Ninja Model # SP301) because it flips up and thus does not take up much space. My instant pot found a home on the washing machine.

• WillTravelForFood
              WillTravelForFood commented
              Editing a comment
              Attjack I initiall read that as "a home IN the washing machine!!! LOL

We received the Ninja air fryer/oven for Christmas. Yours may be a step up from ours though. It looks a little different on the inside from the photos. And a griddle function? Don’t have that. Not mentioned in the manual anyway. Just beginning to explore its uses but like it so far. Wings are next up as soon as they thaw. Love the flip function. Essential with our available counter space.

Comment

I have made wings in the air fryer multiple times. I have found if you first cook them at 340 degrees for 15 minutes or so it renders out some of the unnecessary fat. I will then drain the fat out of the bin and finish the wings off at 400 for 3 to 5 minutes. The skins get crispy this way and your kitchen doesn’t fill up with the smell of burnt chicken fat.

I have also deemed it the ultimate tator tot cooking vessel.

For brunch I like making Potatoes O’Brien in it. Dice up some red potatoes, green pepper and onion, toss them in some vegetable oil and cook until done.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Glad this is workin out fer ya, ya has my interest, Brother....

Please, define th phrase "Unnecessary Fat"... ;not really familiar with that, might be a geographical thang...

• Attjack
              Attjack commented
              Editing a comment
              I need to do some wings soon.

This thing pumps out dinner for 2 pretty well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220110_182308.jpg
Views:	567
Size:	162.3 KB
ID:	1157357

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220110_183029~3.jpg
Views:	573
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	1157356

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
              Jerod Broussard commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks.

• Attjack
              Attjack commented
              Editing a comment
              Jerod Broussard so I have made toast once. It wasn't great but it may have been user error. So toasting performance remains a mystery.

• Jerod Broussard
              Jerod Broussard commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks. My cheap toaster should last a bit more......

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here