Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you... air fry?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attjack
    commented on 's reply
    jfmorris I would like to read those reviews to try to discern exactly what they did. I figure if you swap positions on say french fries it could work even if it took longer. That way you yield more fries that are all done and hot at once. Maybe fish would be a bad call because you would run the risk of overcooking it. Given what you said, I might try an experiment with the basket and the rack foiled with holes poked in it before I buy a second basket.

• Attjack
    commented on 's reply
    Because fried food is bad for you and you would have to store another appliance. I also considered buying a deep fryer but decided it made more sense to get my fill of fried foods when I'm eating out. I do deep fry sometimes at home in cast iron but I'll do that less now that I can air fry.

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    I've got a T-fal electric fryer, and it is nice. I've mostly used it for frying chicken wings, and sometimes pickles.

My main complain is capacity. It supposedly holds 2.65 pounds of food in the basket. No way. If I fill it to the oil fill line (about 3/4 gallon of oil), it will hold at most 10-12 chicken wing segments and have them all submerged. If they are battered I have to limit to about 8, as otherwise they get stuck together in a giant glob of fried batter.

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    Attjack every user review I read on the Ninja air fry oven said that if you use two baskets, the food in the bottom basket doesn't get done.

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    Haha.

My daughter got a new range that happens to have an air fryer oven feature. The very morning after I installed it for them, the SIL gets up super early before her and uses the air fryer basket to "air fry" an entire freaking pound of bacon, WITHOUT putting said basket on a pan! He put a piece of foil a rack below, but most of it missed or ran off the foil. She was upset that her new oven was full of burnt on bacon grease in the bottom of the oven when it wasn't even 12 hours old...

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest Black Bear. Next time that guy is looking in your back door, time for bear jerky!

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    Attjack I never would have thought to use my instant pot to rise dough. I never realized it could be set to low enough temperatures.

• rickgregory
    replied
    Honestly, I'm thinking of getting a small regular fryer. I don't need one as I rarely deep fry anything and I could use my lodge combo cooker, but a small deep fryer would let me to actual fried chicken or fish for fish and chips. An air fryer feels like a partial solution and if I'm going to want fried foods... why not a real deep fryer?

Leave a comment:

• Attjack
    replied
    I had my first partially unsuccessful cook. I air-fried some wings and pickles. The wings were fully cooked and crispy but they had an off-flavor. I suspect it was a problem with the meat though. I'll have to try again sometime although I also want to try wings in my rotisserie basket on the gas grill. That will probably happen before I go back to the air fryer with them.

But the pickles were great. I'm going to do them again soon since I made a big batch of cucumber-ginger sauce to go with them.

Click image for larger version

Name:	H8SDbv0VlfrQ0HGbFXJWF2z1ENM-QZiwQpeoUMYLnE8XGmLwgN9BBYlg_Hj51j6KD5UJ__qGus5-xKCnC-IH_vKOen-8EnSjypudb7i0wV7TtLCET-gS_LS4CiI_587O5BdHniGRL-Y7Ux4B5IzKH5pAkXBjAQTQtGRewYEpzfAceKNH3PAv30PaQQgUjoJKzqXpn6qIeInZ_doqs2WOHIk-2ZavcLa435pI0mTbRcL1z5bv02TiebJgiFLVX-e
Views:	279
Size:	181.1 KB
ID:	1166404

Name:	EoscWBYGD_UB_mi5CF80rJtQHYBHeb5c6akjqnlt8pHw13PEEmuXOCPPx9e-JfdbBfK1MX1nIeDxMmuuFua92Y9d3WGo9_qaePkNnO0yklau-d6IoeU1BJA4_EggO8idr9eAl5kQlTpeEyZE6djZ0DpJZQvRbmbyHaZ1jhGvm30qSWPj1cZjqCfwVMlSwd1AsopEmq20p4fymLMWrhwCIGwPHYi46Gaf1Gi8Pmy1orL7FZBhRL1GhqT8k6eBI5V
Views:	267
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	1166405

Leave a comment:

• Attjack
    commented on 's reply
    I don't think you can. But don't have enough experience to know for sure. I plan on buying a second air fry basket for mine since the newer model that I have could accept 2. They are currently out of stock. What I don't know is if 2 trays would negatively affect air frying. I suspect it would work though perhaps I would need to swap tray positions halfway through cooking.

• smokenoob
    commented on 's reply
    can you really cook that much food in a tray? My manual says don’t stack food, leave space for the "air" to get through.

• Attjack
    replied
    This is NOT the newest model like I have. However, it is $90 (refurbished).

Name:	O1HdXTk.png
Views:	272
Size:	231.7 KB
ID:	1166384

Leave a comment:

• smokenoob
    commented on 's reply
    I just noticed on mine when I select AIRFRY it says Super Convection 😁
    There ya go!

• smokenoob
    replied
    Really pushing the envelope today! 😂 But seriously, I like the fact that I can make toast and be summoned by the bell when it is done. My previous toaster had a twist dial timer and had to be closely supervised at the end of the cook or it quickly turned to coal.

Name:	74080839-783F-4728-A94E-78797B272165.jpeg
Views:	276
Size:	164.0 KB
ID:	1166343

Leave a comment:

• smokenoob
    commented on 's reply
    it’s fzx

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here