Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you... air fry?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Huskee
    replied
    My wife bought the Pampered Chef air fryer when it was on sale several months ago. I'm a believer. It really does make great crispy foods, especially frozen fries, nuggets, etc far better than the regular oven. My kids use it nearly daily.

Leave a comment:

• smokenoob
    replied
    Air fried Coconut shrimp and steamed Alaska King crab. Shrimp dipped in salt n pepper flour, egg dunked, then rolled in panko/coconut mix and air-fried at 400° for 18 minutes, came out great!
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Debra
    commented on 's reply
    You will be amazed!

• kenrobin
    replied
    My wife had been wanting air fryer for quite awhile so I bought her one for Christmas hoping that we would take of the air frying while I handle the outdoor BBQ. I even threw in an air fryer recipe book for inspiration. Almost two months have gone by and she still hasn't taken it out of the box! I may have to break down and use it myself.

Leave a comment:

• Jerod Broussard
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks. My cheap toaster should last a bit more......

• Attjack
    commented on 's reply
    Jerod Broussard so I have made toast once. It wasn't great but it may have been user error. So toasting performance remains a mystery.

• Attjack
    commented on 's reply
    I haven't tried naan yet. Good idea though.

I use the sear plate much more often than the basket .

smokenoob Yeah, the sear plate sits very close to the lower heating elements.

• smokenoob
    commented on 's reply
    sounds great!

• Jim White
    commented on 's reply
    smokenoob The sear plate is fairly heavy metal with a good nonstick coating on it. It has a lip that is probably almost a half inch high. The cooker is programmed to preheat the sear plate before you put the food on it. I squirted just a bit of peanut oil on and spread it around a little with a silicone brush. There was virtually no splatter. The sear plate cleaned very easily with soap and water. There was a little bit of stuff on the front window that wiped off easily with a damp paper towel.

• smokenoob
    commented on 's reply
    Looks great! Is the sear plate just the pan on lowest rack with bottom heat turned on high? How was the flipping and splatter? Fried potatoes usually take 20+ minutes on 425-450 in my air frier, I’m sure every oven is different and you just need to dial ot in over a few cooks!

• Jim White
    commented on 's reply
    Have you tried cooking naan in yours yet, Attjack ? I think it could work well.

• Attjack
    commented on 's reply
    It really can sear can't it?

• Jim White
    replied
    So yesterday Amazon told me my Ninja SP301 would arrive today, so I went ahead and started getting ready. On Friday, I found this terrific tritip at the UF meat market that could easily pass for prime grade in my book (and look at that cheap price and weep, mail order folks!).

Click image for larger version

Name:	2022-02-07 11.42.59.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	232.6 KB
ID:	1172006

I hit it with a dry brine amount of salt and it went into the sous vide tank at 132 for 5 hours. I then ice shocked and put it in the fridge to wait.

The delivery was early enough this afternoon that I could get the new toy set up in time to use it for the triptip sear and to try my hand at air frying some sweet potatoes.

Ready to fry:

Name:	2022-02-08 17.37.42.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	229.5 KB
ID:	1172007

Recipes online for air fried sweet potatoes vary widely on temperature, time and whether to soak in water first. I didn't soak and went with 425 for what turned out to be about 15 minutes or so. In retrospect, they probably needed to go longer. Not crisp (possibly also from crowding) but still incredibly tasty.

But oh my, the searing! I rinsed off the beef and hit it with Meatheads's Red Meat rub and then seared on the sear plate at 425 for what was probably 7 or 8 minutes, flipping every minute or minute and a half. I moved it to an oven that had been on "warm" to keep the fries warm and turned it off to let the meat warm just a bit more (temped at about 100 in the center after the searing) and to rest.

Sliced five minutes later.

Name:	2022-02-08 18.33.06.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	259.3 KB
ID:	1172008

This was incredibly tender and the taste was out of this world with the rub. There's enough smoked salt in that stuff that you really can't tell by the taste that this never saw a wood flame.

Multiple device syndrome is real and can often pay off in wonderful new routes to amazing food.

But what do we call this cook? SVN (for Ninja)? SVS (sear)?

Leave a comment:

• bardsleyque
    commented on 's reply
    hot water...

• fzxdoc
    replied
    I have a GE Advantium Trivection oven with a Speed Cook setting. I call it Jack Donaghy (30 Rock). It can function as a convection oven, a microwave oven, or a Speed Cook oven, which combines convection, microwave, and halogen light heat to cook things faster.

I've had it for years and have only ever used it as a microwave or for a convection oven, and for the Proof and Warm options. The Warm option BTW is perfect for cambroing, holding the temp steady at the 160-180° setting that I select for holding smoked meat.

I've never used the Speed Cook option. I'm thinking now that with it I may already have a built-in Air Fryer of sorts. Something to investigate. Jack Donaghy, here I come!

Kathryn

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here