Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody else get an email From Weber about June?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody else get an email From Weber about June?

I just saw this email and thought I'd share. (Not sure if this is the right place??)

Looks nice, but pricy:

it's a 12-in-1 countertop appliance.

it has a certain audience, but unsure who those are. NYC apt dwellers, perhaps?

(but as with any smart device -- if your internet goes down, you'll be looking at a brick until the internet comes back online)

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      It can't work manually?

Over promise under perform.

Comment

I clicked on it, but it is not on my wish list.

Comment

I know someone who has one. She loves it but she's not into cooking and loves the ability to do simple, tasty meals without really knowing jack about how to cook (this entire attitude mystifies me, but... )

It's a very convenient appliance and if you use many/most/all of the things it can do the price is fine and it eliminates a lot of clutter from your kitchen.

On the 'if the internet goes down' bit a) I think it can work independently although of course it won't download recipes/programs then and b) meh. I can't recall the last time I lost internet for any length of time and didnt lose power as well.

The whole 'relies on internet so it's not reliable' thing is, at least here, not really true anymore. As always, YMMV.
        Last edited by rickgregory; December 14, 2021, 03:15 PM.

Comment

• 58limited
          58limited commented
          Editing a comment
          Last hurricane to hit here we lost power. I fired up my little portable generator and, on a whim, plugged in my model - Internet still worked! I was surprised: in the past both would go out and internet would take weeks longer than power to return.

• rickgregory
          rickgregory commented
          Editing a comment
          58limited - yeah if the towers etc are up and you can get power to your router, it will work. But... edge case of course..

Of course, how to cook with yer phone! What more can anyone ask for. As you go about yer daily duties like walking & everything else, like driving, eating, socializing, you never have to raise yer head up. Just keep it buried in yer phone.

Comment

Of course there's a subscription fee.

Click image for larger version

Name:	june-fees.png
Views:	417
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	1142208

And confirmed, no Internet is "required" to use June. (June just won't be nearly as fun without out)

The June Oven (2nd generation) does not need a WiFi connection during set up which you can bypass by selecting on the 'X' command. However, you may be missing some features or software updates. You also cannot connect to the companion app without connecting to WiFi. You do have the option to use the oven without connecting to the Internet.

Comment

• rickgregory
            rickgregory commented
            Editing a comment
            I mean... so? It's not a subscription to use the oven, it's a sub for their recipes. I don't see the issue. As above, the whole "omg I need internet" is a non-issue for almost anyone.

• FireMan
            FireMan commented
            Editing a comment
            It is the only thing that does Guided Smart Recpes! Wow!

I don't see this as much different than something like the Ninja or Cuisinart countertop "air fryer" convection ovens. Just has a digital screen maybe and is "app" and wifi enabled, but does pretty much the same thing, but at 2x to 5x the price!

Comment

• rickgregory
            rickgregory commented
            Editing a comment
            Well... not if it can really do all of the things they list (dehydrator, bread proofer etc). If it can really be used for those, it's priced about right. If not, of course, you're correct. But price out a slow cooker, air fryer, proofer etc etc. Then figure you've now got to store them and the like.

Obviously if all you want it for is the equivalent of a toaster oven it's priced too high.
            Last edited by rickgregory; December 15, 2021, 10:53 AM.

I’m sure it has a fit with certain people but I always get a chuckle out of pictures like this:

Name:	17CF3F44-FDCA-438C-819B-864D46032E58.jpeg
Views:	382
Size:	326.4 KB
ID:	1142395

Where is the bacon grease covering the bottom of the pan?
          And why is there no oil splatter everywhere?
          How did the eggs form in a perfect sandwich shape when you cracked them into a presumably cold pan?
          How is everything cooked to perfection at the same time?

if I could dump all those raw ingredients on the pan, set a timer, have it turn out looking like that AND have no mess to clean up, I’d say that’s worth a grand. Somebody should test that out and get back to us 👍🏻

Comment

• FireMan
            FireMan commented
            Editing a comment
            Picky, picky, picky.

NY Times was not impressed https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/june-oven/

Comment

It's the Bass-O-Matic for the digital age.

Comment

• FireMan
            FireMan commented
            Editing a comment
            Yup, where is Ron Popiel when we need him?
            I know, I know, he kicked the can down the road.

Breville countertop convection oven or even the Anova oven will likely outperform this for a lot less.

Convection meets steam injection for some of the most efficient cooking possible on a countertop. The Anova Precision™ Oven is a combi oven for the home, with all of the features of a pro-level combi oven at a fraction of the cost.

Explore 13 smart cooking functions with our advanced smart oven. Air fry, bake, dehydrate, and more - all in one place. Elevate your cooking game effortlessly.
          Last edited by Polarbear777; December 15, 2021, 05:36 AM.

Comment

If only mine had WiFi...

Name:	kenmore.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	1142440

Comment

• Murdy
              Murdy commented
              Editing a comment
              Pretty sure my Grandma had that same oven.

• CaptainMike
              CaptainMike commented
              Editing a comment
              Dude, (please don't give me a knuckle sandwich) I gotta come by your place sometime. It must be like some sort of Wayback Machine time capsule.

• 58limited
              58limited commented
              Editing a comment
              CaptainMike Up until about 4 years ago I was still using the original 1936 gas water heater in this house. The fittings finally started to leak (Monel tank, will never corrode) and we couldn't break them loose so now I use a modern electric water heater.

We'll be testing June soon. Stay tuned. (Hey that's catchy)

Comment

• Polarbear777
              Polarbear777 commented
              Editing a comment
              Since the June isn’t a steam oven the Annova is different.

However the brevelle is fantastic and seems to match in functionality but at half the cost and no WiFi. Would be good to compare the two in cooking performance.

• tstalafuse
              tstalafuse commented
              Editing a comment
              America's Test Kitchen gave the 3rd generation model their "highly recommend", "recommended" to the Tovala, and a "not recommended" to the Annova. Interestingly, in the Toaster Oven Air Fryer they also gave the Breville a "highly recommend", but noted that it only make so-so toast. Hard to imagine a $500 toaster that doesn't make perfect toast that comes out already buttered with a side of Apricot Preserves..

It utterly cracks me up that, on a forum where people routinely spend $2-4,000 on a box that smokes and $250+ on a thing like the Fireboard to graph cooks, you all are talking about a high priced oven and making fun of the technology.

Pot, Kettle (Cast iron of course, unenameled please )

Comment

• RonB
              RonB commented
              Editing a comment
              But if someone asked if $20K was too much to pay on a box that smokes, there would be a discussion with people taking both sides...

• rickgregory
              rickgregory commented
              Editing a comment
              RonB - I mean, I've seen some equipment lists here that might total that much (folks with the Santa Maria setup, griddles, a few various smokers.... )

As a convection oven, the June is wildly overpriced. But if it's a convection oven, dehydrator, dry slow cooker, bread proofer... and if someone needs all of those things, it's actually fine plus it saves you space.

Aside from the obvious lighthearted jabs, it's the people who are serious that make me smile and shake my head.
              Last edited by rickgregory; December 15, 2021, 04:00 PM.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here