Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need Espresso Maker Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will also say, if you don't expect to DRINK espresso and just use it for recipes, I would certainly not invest beyond a small stove top pot, and secondly - I would hazard a guess if you just boiled down some strong coffee to make it stronger it would turn out just fine in the recipe. Unless espresso is the foremost flavor in the sauce, espresso versus just really strong coffee won't be noticeable. That's really all espresso is - really strong, concentrated coffee.

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Ok ok I guess I am not the coffee snob I thought I was grantgallagher! .

I know technically that is all correct, but when added as a BBQ sauce ingredient, is he going to notice the difference between a cup made using a stove top pot and a cup made with a $250 Delonhgi pump like mine, or a cup made with a high end commercial machine? That was what I was suggesting here is that I would give the BBQ sauce a whirl with strong regular coffee first, or even a cup of coffee shop espresso.

• grantgallagher
      grantgallagher commented
      Editing a comment
      thats fair, i was going more from the aspect that he also wanted to drink expresso, if its just for the sauce, then yeah, you can totally do it for probably less than 50 bucks

• Old Glory
      Old Glory commented
      Editing a comment
      If just for the sauce use instant of buy a shot from Starbucks as Kathryn suggested.

For $500 it will be hard to beat this https://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/ph...presso-machine. Note that it grinds as well, so if you're comparing to pother machines that don't grind, add ~$200 to those since you'll need a grinder for them

Comment

Yes you can get an espresso machine for $500 or less but then you need a grinder probably as important as the espresso machine, buying a less expensive machine and grinder can lead to a lot of frustration, the next thing would the beans that you use. Do you you want to make milk based drinks such as lattes or cuppuccino? All of these will add to the cost.

Comment

Hmmmm. I wonder what Franklin uses at his restaurant? I've never been there but it does not strike me as a place that would serve a lot of espresso to their customers. A look at their online menu shows Cuvee Cold Brew but no mention of espresso.

Comment

We had a DeLonghi Magnifico for over 12 years. I have replaced 0-rings, the steam wand (a $30 part, every 2-3 years). It cost us about $750, plus the cost of the beans and milk (+electricity!), and we made at least 5000 cups of cappuccino over the decade. (We each have a double cap, so that's over 700 per year, plus some afternoon espresso machiattos, occasional guests, etc. Minus days we are out of town, so let's use 700 as a very conservative estimate.)

700 x12 = 8,400. So, the machine component of our morning capps runs about 10 cents per cup.

Finally, the boiler has a leak, and this time, rather than repairing (which you can do: https://www.ereplacementparts.com plus YouTube videos), we sprang for a Breville Oracle. Very expensive, but, maybe in 12 years our coffees will be costing us 25 cents per cup for the machine costs. Likely less, since I am now drinking two doubles each morning.

Now, I wouldn't buy that in order to make a BBQ sauce!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9517.jpeg
Views:	197
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	1138357

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
            Dr. Pepper commented
            Editing a comment
            barelfly We like ours to taste strong, and it's hard to get coffee shops to not pour too much milk into the cup. Having a smaller volume cup forces the issue.

I was skeptical of the new Breville, and worried about the extra step of moving the portafilter to the head, and emptying it afterwards (compared to the DeLonghi.) But, it's simple, especially as the Oracle tamps for you. It took me about 6 cups (make and discard) to dial in an 18 gm dose, and a 40 cc extraction (24 seconds.) cont'

• Dr. Pepper
            Dr. Pepper commented
            Editing a comment
            Fortunately, YouTube, as always, is there to guide us! When you arrive in Seattle, we'd love to demo for you along with my wife's Meyer lemon/blueberry scone.

• barelfly
            barelfly commented
            Editing a comment
            Outstanding! A great Capp and Meyer lemon/blueberry scone! Sign.Me.Up!

It’s definitely an art to pull a great espresso! I make a triple Capp every morning with Oat Milk. It’s not the same but it is the best alternative that I’ve found over the years and enjoy the overall cup! And yes, too much milk……call it a latte! 1/3, espresso, 1/3 steamed milk, 1/3 foam unless you like it on the dry side!

I’ll have to look at the Oracle and compare that to the Bambino I have….you know, just too look

Okay - just to fuel MCS - here is a picture of my machine(s), and dedicated coffee cabinet!
          Attached Files

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
            Dr. Pepper commented
            Editing a comment
            👅☕️❤️

• Old Glory
            Old Glory commented
            Editing a comment
            Very nice! I had that Expobar at one time. Very solid machine.

I also have and really like my Nespresso. I have the Creatista, but if all you want is Espresso then one of the smaller units will work, I have my original Essenza by Breville that I am not using, packed in the original box, that I would sell for $75 plus shipping.

Having said that, you can also by instant espresso powder if all you want it for is recipes. I use that in my chocolate ice cream recipe.

Comment

Hey, where’s Caffeine88?

Comment

Well, damn, since MrSkimo is posting pictures ….. Here is my Jura E6

it holds about 1/4 lb of beans, has a built-in burr grinder and thermal heating plate. I can make 2 shots of espresso in about 60 seconds from pushing the button.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.27 MB ID:	1138496
              Last edited by ecowper; December 6, 2021, 09:38 PM.

Comment

• MrSkimo
                MrSkimo commented
                Editing a comment
                LOL - completely understand. I have one of those fancy pellet grills - feels like cheating. But I don’t have someone to tend it for me. If I could only figure out how to just press a button…

Do you think the Star Trek food replicators will have the same smell and textures as our barbecue? :-)

• ecowper
                ecowper commented
                Editing a comment
                MrSkimo I can pretty well guarantee that if I had to spend a lot of time on great coffee, I'd still be going to the local coffee shop. I'm completely the reverse on coffee from BBQ. With BBQ, I love the process as much as I love the outcome.

I am not excited about "food replicators" ..... but who knows, I may be wrong

• MrSkimo
                MrSkimo commented
                Editing a comment
                ecowper - I understand. I also like the process on both. I even have a roaster and buy green beans for it. Coffee, bbq, and cars are three hobbies that I spend a lot of time on.

I bought a Quick Mill ANDREJA PREMIUM Espresso maker and Mini Mazzer Espresso Grinder about 12 years ago for my wife in an attempt to wean her off her daily trip to Starbucks. It hasn’t really worked, she still jumps in the car, drives to a Starbucks and buys her Extra Hot Soy Latte. I am not a Starbucks fan, stopped brewing coffee at home and use the Espresso maker myself every day.

If I was to have gone to Starbucks every day for the past 12 years, I would have spent around $17,500 plus time and travel. My wife does use the espresso machine about 20% of the time so I could add that savings. There is the cost of the equipment and ordering beans from various custom roasters that cut into that "savings" but it has paid for itself over time and is still going strong.

You would need to really appreciate top flight espresso drinks to make the investment in quality espresso equipment and beans while dealing with clean up but for me it is an enjoyable morning routine.

Name:	Espresso_Machine_Grinder.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	216.3 KB
ID:	1138774

Comment

• MrSkimo
                MrSkimo commented
                Editing a comment
                Midway - that’s the same calculus I did myself to convince my wife to let me buy my first expensive espresso machine. It definitely paid for itself, although my ensuing desire to chase the "perfect espresso" probably negated the positive ROI at some point. Much like the collection of cookers and gadgets that many of us have. :-)

• Dr. Pepper
                Dr. Pepper commented
                Editing a comment
                MrSkimo I'm a backyard beekeeper (4 hives currently, wife made me reduce from a max of 7). Someone once asked me if I sell the honey. I laughed at that one! If I were to try and recoup my investment I'd be charging $200 per 8 oz bottle.
                Last edited by Dr. Pepper; December 7, 2021, 04:21 PM.

• Midway
                Midway commented
                Editing a comment
                Dr. Pepper Like your beekeeping "investments", I was a professional sports photographer for years. NFL, MLS, MLB, NCAA Football and Basketball, I even shot the US Open and Sr. US Open Golf Tournaments. I had a day job and sports photography was a hobby I occasionally got paid for but nowhere near recouping the cost of all the professional model lenses and camera bodies. I did have pretty good seats though. My mind has a persistent way of convincing me I have justifiable reasons to buy stuff.

Ok, snapped a photo of the Bambino Plus this morning after pulling 3 shots of espresso and starting the milk. the single shot I pull a little longer than what is called for. the Double shot is a normal pull. Makes a good espresso! I think total time from grind to sip, maybe 4 minutes? I’ve never timed it though.

and the conical burr grinder on the left. Not much space taken between the two as well.

Click image for larger version  Name:	6806CADD-FCDA-462C-9A82-3CFDFA07A9C4.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.20 MB ID:	1138785
              Last edited by barelfly; December 7, 2021, 12:46 PM.

Comment

Well, we seem to have totally hijacked @Draznnl 's original post. Oh well, guilty as charged.

Here is our recently acquired Breville Oracle Touch. We prefer Starbucks' Espresso beans over the lighter roasts available from the many small artisanal roasters which have reproduced in the PNW like bunnies🐰.
                Just personal taste preference.

Name:	IMG_9845.jpeg
Views:	169
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	1138810 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9849.jpeg
Views:	177
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	1138808 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9851.jpeg
Views:	171
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	1138809 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9853.jpeg
Views:	166
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	1138811

Comment

• MrSkimo
                  MrSkimo commented
                  Editing a comment
                  "Hijacked, or informed"? I think we have answered @Draznnl’s question that, yes, he can absolutely find a decent machine for $500. However if his goal is to get enough for sauce it is waaaaayyyy cheaper to buy a couple of shots. And for better or worse, we have given him a glimpse of the endless black hole that pursuit of great coffee can be - just like good bbq!

BTW - nice setup!

Thank you everyone for all your advice and warnings. Given that we're talking about a double shot of espresso for me a couple of times per week, the occasional mocha or cappuccino for my wife and avoiding trips to the coffee shop to make a batch of barbecue sauce, a big, fancy machine isn't called for. On the other hand, avoiding the 2-3 mile drive to that coffee shop, including a trip around the traffic circle from hell, and saving the cost of the aforementioned espressos, mochas, etc. does justify us getting a moderately priced machine and a burr grinder. I'll let you know once I convince the Mrs. of this logic and we pull the trigger.
                Last edited by Draznnl; December 7, 2021, 02:42 PM.

Comment

• rickgregory
                  rickgregory commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Remember some of the machines have a built in grinder which is at least $150 of value

I have a Black & Decker Expresso Mio. It works very well. $20 on Amazon.

Comment

My Rocket R Cinquantotto Dual Boiler and Eureka Atom Grinder

Name:	IMG_2656.jpeg
Views:	144
Size:	160.5 KB
ID:	1138881

Name:	IMG_2657.jpeg
Views:	149
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	1138880

Comment

• Midway
                    Midway commented
                    Editing a comment
                    My Andreja Premium failed this week and I was about to order a Rocket R58 Cinquantotto, it is sold and serviced by a local company, My wife is more concerned with form (appearance) over substance. They all seem to be in the same class so I had her pick her favorite looking machine between the Quick Mill Vetrano 2B Evo, the Rocket and the Izzo Alex Duetto IV. I wanted the Rocket, She insisted on the Izzo. I plan on replacing the pump and release valve on my Andreja and gifting it.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here