Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need Espresso Maker Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rickgregory
    replied
    For $500 it will be hard to beat this https://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/ph...presso-machine. Note that it grinds as well, so if you're comparing to pother machines that don't grind, add ~$200 to those since you'll need a grinder for them

Leave a comment:

• Old Glory
    commented on 's reply
    I suggested that above as well.

• MrSkimo
    commented on 's reply
    Yah, I second the AeroPress. Spend your money on a good burr grinder, and use the AeroPress until you can afford a good espresso machine. I have three grinders in my house (1 just set up for espresso, 1 set up for drip, and another for aeropress and french press). I also have a really good double boiler espress machine, but I built up to that "necessity" over the years! I've bought gear from both Seattle Coffee Gear and Whole Latte Love

• grantgallagher
    commented on 's reply
    thats fair, i was going more from the aspect that he also wanted to drink expresso, if its just for the sauce, then yeah, you can totally do it for probably less than 50 bucks

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    Ok ok I guess I am not the coffee snob I thought I was grantgallagher! .

I know technically that is all correct, but when added as a BBQ sauce ingredient, is he going to notice the difference between a cup made using a stove top pot and a cup made with a $250 Delonhgi pump like mine, or a cup made with a high end commercial machine? That was what I was suggesting here is that I would give the BBQ sauce a whirl with strong regular coffee first, or even a cup of coffee shop espresso.

• grantgallagher
    commented on 's reply
    i would argue against this. If you boil down the coffee you are going to ruin the flavor. the biggest upside of these machines is regulating the temp so the coffee doesnt get bitter/undesired tastes. Its the same as tea, you dont want to brew green tea as hot as black tea.

• jfmorris
    replied
    I will also say, if you don't expect to DRINK espresso and just use it for recipes, I would certainly not invest beyond a small stove top pot, and secondly - I would hazard a guess if you just boiled down some strong coffee to make it stronger it would turn out just fine in the recipe. Unless espresso is the foremost flavor in the sauce, espresso versus just really strong coffee won't be noticeable. That's really all espresso is - really strong, concentrated coffee.

Leave a comment:

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    Agreed SierraBBQGuy. I normally do, but had quit buying dark roast for making espresso, and didn't want beans sitting around too long when only the daughter was using the machine...

• SierraBBQGuy
    commented on 's reply
    I do recommend grinding your beans tho

• jfmorris
    replied
    Draznnl I'll second the percolator style espresso maker (technically a "mocha pot") that SierraBBQGuy gave a link to above - you can find them in stores too, with prices ranging from $15 to $30 on average.

If you don't own a coffee grinder and want espresso, get a can of Cafe Bustelo, which is a Cuban espresso ground coffee. I have an espresso machine, but don't drink it much anymore, and keep a can of that in the pantry for my 24 year old daughter, who busts out the Delonghi pump espresso maker every time she is here hanging out.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here