Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need Espresso Maker Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• barelfly
    commented on 's reply
    Outstanding! A great Capp and Meyer lemon/blueberry scone! Sign.Me.Up!

It’s definitely an art to pull a great espresso! I make a triple Capp every morning with Oat Milk. It’s not the same but it is the best alternative that I’ve found over the years and enjoy the overall cup! And yes, too much milk……call it a latte! 1/3, espresso, 1/3 steamed milk, 1/3 foam unless you like it on the dry side!

I’ll have to look at the Oracle and compare that to the Bambino I have….you know, just too look

• Old Glory
    commented on 's reply
    Very nice! I had that Expobar at one time. Very solid machine.

• mgaretz
    replied
    I also have and really like my Nespresso. I have the Creatista, but if all you want is Espresso then one of the smaller units will work, I have my original Essenza by Breville that I am not using, packed in the original box, that I would sell for $75 plus shipping.

Having said that, you can also by instant espresso powder if all you want it for is recipes. I use that in my chocolate ice cream recipe.

Leave a comment:

• Dr. Pepper
    commented on 's reply
    👅☕️❤️

• Dr. Pepper
    commented on 's reply
    Fortunately, YouTube, as always, is there to guide us! When you arrive in Seattle, we'd love to demo for you along with my wife's Meyer lemon/blueberry scone.

• Dr. Pepper
    commented on 's reply
    barelfly We like ours to taste strong, and it's hard to get coffee shops to not pour too much milk into the cup. Having a smaller volume cup forces the issue.

I was skeptical of the new Breville, and worried about the extra step of moving the portafilter to the head, and emptying it afterwards (compared to the DeLonghi.) But, it's simple, especially as the Oracle tamps for you. It took me about 6 cups (make and discard) to dial in an 18 gm dose, and a 40 cc extraction (24 seconds.) cont'

• MrSkimo
    replied
    Okay - just to fuel MCS - here is a picture of my machine(s), and dedicated coffee cabinet!
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• barelfly
    commented on 's reply
    That’s just about as good as a cappuccino as you can get!

• MrSkimo
    commented on 's reply
    Yes, I have an Expobar Brewtus 2 that I upgraded to a rotary pump. It wa sold by Whole Latte Love. Way above OP’s desired price range though. We have a dedicated cabinet for what my wife refers to as my "coffee altar". We even plumbed in a filtered water supply with a quarter turn valve that we can use to fill any of our coffee making devices.

• Dr. Pepper
    replied
    We had a DeLonghi Magnifico for over 12 years. I have replaced 0-rings, the steam wand (a $30 part, every 2-3 years). It cost us about $750, plus the cost of the beans and milk (+electricity!), and we made at least 5000 cups of cappuccino over the decade. (We each have a double cap, so that's over 700 per year, plus some afternoon espresso machiattos, occasional guests, etc. Minus days we are out of town, so let's use 700 as a very conservative estimate.)

700 x12 = 8,400. So, the machine component of our morning capps runs about 10 cents per cup.

Finally, the boiler has a leak, and this time, rather than repairing (which you can do: https://www.ereplacementparts.com plus YouTube videos), we sprang for a Breville Oracle. Very expensive, but, maybe in 12 years our coffees will be costing us 25 cents per cup for the machine costs. Likely less, since I am now drinking two doubles each morning.

Now, I wouldn't buy that in order to make a BBQ sauce!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9517.jpeg
Views:	201
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	1138357

Leave a comment:

• Dr. Pepper
    commented on 's reply
    This!!

• rodkeary
    replied
    Hmmmm. I wonder what Franklin uses at his restaurant? I've never been there but it does not strike me as a place that would serve a lot of espresso to their customers. A look at their online menu shows Cuvee Cold Brew but no mention of espresso.

Leave a comment:

• ssennott
    replied
    Yes you can get an espresso machine for $500 or less but then you need a grinder probably as important as the espresso machine, buying a less expensive machine and grinder can lead to a lot of frustration, the next thing would the beans that you use. Do you you want to make milk based drinks such as lattes or cuppuccino? All of these will add to the cost.

Leave a comment:

• Dr. Pepper
    commented on 's reply
    MrSkimo Can I ask what your double boiler machine is? Thanks

• Old Glory
    commented on 's reply
    If just for the sauce use instant of buy a shot from Starbucks as Kathryn suggested.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here