Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need Espresso Maker Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MrSkimo
    commented on 's reply
    "Hijacked, or informed"? I think we have answered @Draznnl’s question that, yes, he can absolutely find a decent machine for $500. However if his goal is to get enough for sauce it is waaaaayyyy cheaper to buy a couple of shots. And for better or worse, we have given him a glimpse of the endless black hole that pursuit of great coffee can be - just like good bbq!

BTW - nice setup!

• MrSkimo
    commented on 's reply
    Midway - that’s the same calculus I did myself to convince my wife to let me buy my first expensive espresso machine. It definitely paid for itself, although my ensuing desire to chase the "perfect espresso" probably negated the positive ROI at some point. Much like the collection of cookers and gadgets that many of us have. :-)

• Dr. Pepper
    replied
    Well, we seem to have totally hijacked @Draznnl 's original post. Oh well, guilty as charged.

Here is our recently acquired Breville Oracle Touch. We prefer Starbucks' Espresso beans over the lighter roasts available from the many small artisanal roasters which have reproduced in the PNW like bunnies🐰.
    Just personal taste preference.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9845.jpeg
Views:	177
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	1138810 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9849.jpeg
Views:	183
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	1138808 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9851.jpeg
Views:	177
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	1138809 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9853.jpeg
Views:	174
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	1138811

Leave a comment:

• MrSkimo
    commented on 's reply
    ecowper - I understand. I also like the process on both. I even have a roaster and buy green beans for it. Coffee, bbq, and cars are three hobbies that I spend a lot of time on.

• Dr. Pepper
    commented on 's reply
    Pretty!

• barelfly
    replied
    Ok, snapped a photo of the Bambino Plus this morning after pulling 3 shots of espresso and starting the milk. the single shot I pull a little longer than what is called for. the Double shot is a normal pull. Makes a good espresso! I think total time from grind to sip, maybe 4 minutes? I’ve never timed it though.

and the conical burr grinder on the left. Not much space taken between the two as well.

Click image for larger version  Name:	6806CADD-FCDA-462C-9A82-3CFDFA07A9C4.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.20 MB ID:	1138785
    Last edited by barelfly; December 7, 2021, 12:46 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Midway
    replied
    I bought a Quick Mill ANDREJA PREMIUM Espresso maker and Mini Mazzer Espresso Grinder about 12 years ago for my wife in an attempt to wean her off her daily trip to Starbucks. It hasn’t really worked, she still jumps in the car, drives to a Starbucks and buys her Extra Hot Soy Latte. I am not a Starbucks fan, stopped brewing coffee at home and use the Espresso maker myself every day.

If I was to have gone to Starbucks every day for the past 12 years, I would have spent around $17,500 plus time and travel. My wife does use the espresso machine about 20% of the time so I could add that savings. There is the cost of the equipment and ordering beans from various custom roasters that cut into that "savings" but it has paid for itself over time and is still going strong.

You would need to really appreciate top flight espresso drinks to make the investment in quality espresso equipment and beans while dealing with clean up but for me it is an enjoyable morning routine.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Espresso_Machine_Grinder.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	216.3 KB
ID:	1138774

Leave a comment:

• ecowper
    commented on 's reply
    MrSkimo I can pretty well guarantee that if I had to spend a lot of time on great coffee, I'd still be going to the local coffee shop. I'm completely the reverse on coffee from BBQ. With BBQ, I love the process as much as I love the outcome.

I am not excited about "food replicators" ..... but who knows, I may be wrong

• Dan Deter
    commented on 's reply
    Draznnl well that's a different kettle of fish, then. And I can't help with that...

• MrSkimo
    commented on 's reply
    LOL - completely understand. I have one of those fancy pellet grills - feels like cheating. But I don’t have someone to tend it for me. If I could only figure out how to just press a button…

Do you think the Star Trek food replicators will have the same smell and textures as our barbecue? :-)

• Razor
    commented on 's reply
    +1 on Whole Latte. Bought a lower end version of the Gaggia Classic from them. Plastic body but reportedly same guts, and the MDF grinder about 15 years ago. Not a fancy machine, but a beast for what it does.

• ecowper
    commented on 's reply
    MrSkimo it’s probably true! But damn it makes great coffee in 60 seconds

• MrSkimo
    commented on 's reply
    ecowper that is the coffee equivalent of a fancy wifi pellet grill with someone to put your meat on and take it off for you. :-)

But seriously - nice equipment

• ecowper
    replied
    Well, damn, since MrSkimo is posting pictures ….. Here is my Jura E6

it holds about 1/4 lb of beans, has a built-in burr grinder and thermal heating plate. I can make 2 shots of espresso in about 60 seconds from pushing the button.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.27 MB ID:	1138496
    Last edited by ecowper; December 6, 2021, 09:38 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Dr. Pepper
    replied
    Hey, where’s Caffeine88?

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here