Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Instant Pot Sous Vide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Instant Pot Sous Vide

My neighbors kids got them an Instant Pot for Christmas and it has a Sous Vide button. Anybody seen these or have one? The owners manual/recipe book had squat about using that function. Just wondering if anybody has worked through this dilemma of using an Instant Pot for Sous Vide.

Our 6 quart instant pot also has a sous vide function. I used the SV mode once and kept checking the temp of the water bath as time went by. It worked fine for what I was doing.

I was careful to keep the pot covered to minimize heat loss and the amount of food I cooked was small in proportion to the amount of water in the IP pot. I also preheated the water using my tea kettle to get the show on the road a little quicker.

I also watched a video that showed a real life test of an IP running in SV mode and a dedicated SV gizmo. The tester found no great difference between the two.

But I don't think I'd ever expect the IP in sous vide mode to ever take the place of a dedicated SV machine.

For one thing, most IP pots are fairly small, so the amount of food and water that can fit into the IP is limited. You can't put a big roast in for example or something that's long and skinny. This limitation on size/shape really affects its usefulness.

Another big difference is the IP can't actually circulate the water, so the rate of heat transfer to the food is reduced and the temp of the water bath is likely to fluctuate more.

I'd say for small amounts of food, the IP sous vide function might work okay. But there needs to be a generous amount of water in proportion to the amount of food for best temp control and efficient heat transfer.

Comment

• GolfGeezer
      GolfGeezer commented
      Editing a comment
      +1

• dubob
      dubob commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you IG; very insightful. My neighbors are an older couple (late 60s) and would only use it to cook enough for 2 people. If they like the results after a couple of cooks, I'll suggest they invest in a separate SV machine - like my Anova. 😁

• mgaretz
      mgaretz commented
      Editing a comment
      If it holds the temp well and also the food, there is no need for a separate machine. The only reason would be saving space if not wanting to haul out the ip each time. My first SV was a Sous vide supreme, which doesn't have a circulator, but it's big. I still use it for whole tri-tips and high temp cooks as it is insulated and has a lid. I do have a Joule and use it for smaller cooks because of the space saving and when I don't have to worry so much about the heat loss or evaporation.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here