Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous vide container lids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sous vide container lids

I use a stock pot for SV, and have been running 'open top'. Finally ran into the evaporation problem on long cooks.

I thought about buying a formal SV plastic container (lid has a cutout), or buying SV ping-pong balls, but didn't want more specialized stuff. My wife had heavy-duty, flat, silicon rubber container covers. One was bigger in diameter than the stock pot, and I decided to notch it to fit my SV stick.
    The cover sags slightly in the middle (much like me), and has a nice flat seal around the edge. Condensation hits the cover, runs to center of the lid, and drips down -- no problems with puddles of water around the stock pot. When I put the stock pot away, I toss the rubber lid inside.

Just started a 135deg/24hr cook of beef short ribs, sealed up with a home-made Korean BBQ sauce. (Yes, after many zip-lock bags, I decided to buy a vacuum sealer.)
    Attached Files

Nice looking solution! I did a 4 hour finish on some pastrami a week or so back, and it was at 195F. There was so much steam coming off the 2.5 gallon stock pot I use for sous vide that I ended up getting some aluminum foil and fashioning a lid that dipped down in the middle, and crumpling it tight around the pot and sous vide cooker. Your solution is more elegant and reusable!

I too have had some dedicated plastic sous vide containers in my Amazon wish list for years, but since I have 2.5 gallon and 5 gallon stainless stock pots, I've never felt justified buying something else. Most of my SV cooks are closer to 135 than to 195, and heat loss is less an issue at the lower temps.

At one point I thought of cutting a hole in a 30 quart cooler lid and making it into a dedicated sous vide container, but I don't think any plastic container would do well at the higher temps like 195F.
    Last edited by jfmorris; February 11, 2021, 07:29 PM.

Comment

For really long ones (I have gone 36 hours on some beef ribs) I put a bunch of tennis balls in. Not sure where I got that idea but it conforms perfectly to the size and easy to reuse...

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        I've seen that same thing done with ping pong balls floating on top.

I do chuck roasts a couple times a qtr and go 72 hours each cook. I’ve always just used foil and seal it around the container and sous vide machine.
      I like your idea though!!

Comment

I had a piece of styrofoam that my smoking stone for the kamado was shipped in. It has a round cutout for the stone that fits my stockpots. I cut out a hole for the Anova, and good to go!

Comment

I usually use a small cooler for a SV container and have cut a hole in some styrofoam like Thunder77 . Works Great! I like the idea SmokingPat uses too.
          Last edited by Skip; February 12, 2021, 06:50 AM.

Comment

I just don't get this Sous-vide thing. I guess I must try it to find out. I wonder if Sous-vide is the root of the founding of reverse sear.
            Happy grilling to you.

Comment

• willxfmr
              willxfmr commented
              Editing a comment
              The best way I can explain why sous vide is to ask you, how does medium rare, tender as prime tenderloin, chuck roast sound? I'll give you a hint. It is FANTASTIC, and sous vide is the only way you can make it.

• Thunder77
              Thunder77 commented
              Editing a comment
              +1 on what he said! ^

• lstevenson
              lstevenson commented
              Editing a comment
              Also, meat isn't typically the same depth from one end to another...so the tips/ends get overdone while the middle is the way you want it. Also, about the middle, using temperature of the water to cook, it doesn't get over- or under-cooked. A fast sear and perfection!

Anytime this topic come up, I feel inclined to mention the Frankencooler. I made one of these, and love it. I can do 72 hour cooks and never lose a measurable amount of water. Being insulated also cuts down on heat loss and so saves on energy. Not to mention you can get the cooler on sale for under $20.

Comment

72 hour smokes. Now the is PBR time.
              There after the Sous-vide, hoppy grilling to you.
              Last edited by bbqLuv; February 16, 2021, 01:23 PM.

Comment

I got this. Most likely from Amazon. I also drape a dish towel over for heat retention.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	20210213_212430.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	989298

Comment

I haven’t done anything big like a brisket yet where I’d probably mod a cooler, but here’s my normal setup:

Comment

• dubob
                    dubob commented
                    Editing a comment
                    ZAXTLY! #1 & #3 is what I have and it works great. Longest cook so far has been 36 hrs. and very little water loss to evaporation. The #2 cover is cool, but don't really see a need for it for me.

Not unlike what glitchy uses, here’s my setup. I like to wrap a dish towel around the Anova to keep any condensation away from the electronics.

Click image for larger version  Name:	64AB9D7F-6E1B-4FED-B38A-532878C7D3C1.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.76 MB ID:	989356

Comment

• glitchy
                    glitchy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    You’re off on the setting though. Ask Jerod Broussard. It’s 131.5 - Non-Existent FM to get the best results.

• Jerod Broussard
                    Jerod Broussard commented
                    Editing a comment
                    yeah, 131.5-C, boiling at sea level plus 56.7 more of them Fahrenheit dudes.

I have a silicon lid like that, but came with the notch for the Joule, and is textured to make the drip more even rather than just in the middle. Nothing wrong with dropping in the middle, though. Works very nicely.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here