Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Circulator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which Circulator?

My ol' ANOVA Bluetooth Circulator is dying. No longer hits higher temps and the temperature reading itself is failing (measured 5 degrees low this AM). Looking to replace. What's the consensus on Joule vs. the fancy new ANOVA Precision® Cooker? Joule appears to be slightly more powerful (1100 vs. 1000W), but controllable only via app?

Hmmm. I have never thought to check the water bath temp with my Thermapen or my Smoke probes, and have been trusting the Anova readout until now. I have the Wifi model of Anova, so cannot comment on the other circulators, but I will be double checking the Anova temps with a Thermapen next time I use it.

That said... I cannot recall the last time I actually used my Anova! Probably 18 months or more...

Comment

I use the Joule myself and I'm very happy with it. I also purchased a circulator made by Instant Pot which performed admirably albeit without the bells & whistles. I passed if off to my son who uses it on a regular basis and loves it.

I don't have any experience with the Anova so I can't compare.

Good luck!

Comment

I bought an aobosi brand circulator from Amazon a few years ago. No fancy phone and app needed to control, just good old operator panel. Has worked fine, and at a quarter of the price. Water temp seems to be within one degree when checked with the Thermapen.

Comment

Love my Joule. Yes it's only app controlled, but if you have an Echo you can also control it with Alexa. The app is great though, and has a new Turbo mode for steaks. It also alerts me on my Apple Watch.

Comment

I'm very happy with the Joule. Frequent testing with my Thermapen shows the two usually agree to within 1 degree F. I've had no issue with bringing up to temp fairly large baths (~20 lt), and holding them.

Comment

Love my Joule! Love the app makes it super simple to use.

Comment

I have, and like, the Anova. I got it specifically because it could be controlled without an app.
                I’m probably one of the most connected people ever...but I also think that "everything" doesn’t need to be...and since I need to fill the container with water, attach the unit, add the food, etc...I figure that’s it’s easy enough to spin a dial while I’m standing there.

Comment

• Davek8282
                  Davek8282 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  +1

• klflowers
                  klflowers commented
                  Editing a comment
                  +2

Joule--best sous vide app ever. I never have to search the internet for the best temp for almost anything I sous vide. I just go to the app, click the temp, and see a mini-video of what the end result will look like. Select temp. Select recommended time. Boom. Done. It's almost too easy.

Kathryn

Comment

Joule and the related app work really well for me. Either my phone or iPad can be used to control it.

Comment

Something is going on with the latest joules. I have gone through 6 circulator since March. They all had the same issue with motor not spinning.
                  Having said that, I thing joule is probably the best circulator on the market

Comment

• Ernest
                    Ernest commented
                    Editing a comment
                    fzxdoc yeah I had 3 Anova circulator when joule was still in its infancy. So I held off. I beat up my Anovas to death. But they're still working. I just got my 7th joule replacement.

• tbob4
                    tbob4 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yikes - that is good info. My Anova is still going strong but when it doesn't I'm putting this info into my memory bank. Thanks, Ernest.

• Ernest
                    Ernest commented
                    Editing a comment
                    tbob4 oh yeah my Anovas are all taped up LOL. The camps are in pieces, the plastic body cracked but still still heats accurately

I have the Anova nano, and I like the functionality of it, but Anova REALLY annoyed me by putting the clamp in a fixed spot on the barrel. You can’t slide it up or down.

Comment

• Dewesq55
                    Dewesq55 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The first generation of Anova was like that, but then they changed to the adjustable clamp. Are you saying they went back to the fixed clamp? If so, that was monumentally stupid.

• Thunder77
                    Thunder77 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes they did. At least on the Nano they did. And I agree; it was very stupid.

I have been using my Anova for years, and love it. If I changed brands now, I have to buy and retrofit a new frankencooler, so I'll be sticking with Anova. I also agree that not all things need connectivity.

Comment

I have had an Anoka since it first came out. The water temperature is within one degree of panel setting.

I have no desire to purchase an app driven circulator, coffee pot, toothbrush, etc.

Comment

I have 2 Joules, love 'em. Also another cheap one I got off Woot I use only rarely if I'm doing 3 temps of steaks for guests.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here