Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket bath time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket bath time

Smoking briskets Monday at a catering company, so decided to sv a point to try something different. Although I like @Troutmans med rare brisket I need to show the catering company how it can be done to cook a normal brisket. Any input on time n temp. Potkettleblack. ??
    Attached Files

Following.

Comment

• pkadare
      pkadare commented
      Editing a comment
      As an FYI you can simply click the "Follow" button. No need to add a reply in order to do so.

• Hulagn1971
      Hulagn1971 commented
      Editing a comment
      pkadare I know. I just like to be vocal.

X2 never SV a brisket, but ready to do one.

Comment

On another forum, a member there Sv’s briskets all the time. 132 for 48 to 54 hours. Chill, then smoke to 135-140 IT. I also think there is a long thread on SVQ on this forum. Sorry I do not recall his handle exactly - polar77? Maybe polarbear777.
      Last edited by GolfGeezer; May 16, 2020, 07:12 PM.

Comment

• Ahumadora
        Ahumadora commented
        Editing a comment
        Cooking it Monday morning, so don't have 48 hours. Argentines would freak out if it had the slightest bit of pink showing....

I don't see the point (so to speak) if you're taking it to 200ish. SV is so you can break down the collagen at lower temps because you want to smoke it only to medium or so.

Comment

• Ahumadora
        Ahumadora commented
        Editing a comment
        Plan on smoking from cold to about 150f or has color. So I can show the catering the can get away with a quick smoke

I’ve done 155 for 24 hrs, then shock. Finish by smoking around 3 hrs til I get a good bark and brisket is at serving temp. That gives you a good texture that’s similar to a traditional smoked brisket

Comment

Clint does 155F for 30 hours, which seems like it would fit your application and timeline. I’ve had better luck on my cooker with a 350F finish vs 225F but either will work. I’m usually running no higher than 135F internal at any point but that takes 48-72 hours in the SV to tenderize.

Create mouthwateringly tender Texas-style BBQ beef brisket every time with this recipe for sous vide and smoked brisket. By starting with sous vide, otherwise tough brisket is rendered moist and tender before finishing it on the smoker or grill to add the smoky goodness of traditional brisket.

Consider adding a "fat flash" right before slicing. You can render and use the trim fat.

the long way (for reference):

Medium rare brisket in and of itself seems to be a contradiction. We’re so used to the low and slow, take it up to over 200* succulent but well done brisket that we all strive to

“Two-Week QVQ Pastrami” A: 12lb packer cured into corned beef, 5-7 days (use Blonder wet cure calculator or recipe from “Serious Eats”. https://amazingribs.

Comment

• Ahumadora
          Ahumadora commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank Polarbear..

I see no reason to SV a brisket for 24-30 hours or longer when you can have a perfectly cooked one at 275 for 12 hours. I want dinner on time not having to wait a day or twol
        Last edited by mountainsmoker; May 16, 2020, 09:52 PM.

Comment

• Ahumadora
          Ahumadora commented
          Editing a comment
          Catering are paying staff and do not have all day to tend a pit for 12 hours. I am showing them other options.

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          From a guy who knew nothing about SV.....

Originally posted by shify View Post
        I’ve done 155 for 24 hrs, then shock. Finish by smoking around 3 hrs til I get a good bark and brisket is at serving temp. That gives you a good texture that’s similar to a traditional smoked brisket
        Ditto, you want the 155-F or 68.5-C texture

Comment

Yeah, 225° until probe tender...traitor...

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
            Jerod Broussard commented
            Editing a comment
            I think it's 425-F for him until probe tender.

• Ahumadora
            Ahumadora commented
            Editing a comment
            Yep Who cooks at 225F anymore? That's so 80's

155-24-36h or if you want to really push the envelope, maybe 185 for 12h or 24h.

brisket isn’t short rib, but it has similar issues (collagen density), so use this as a guide to what to expect. Always use the pinch test. It keeps you from being a pinche hombre.

Comment

• Ahumadora
            Ahumadora commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks very much.

Never thought of SV for large meats. Thanks for raising my curiosity on RV cooking. Until now, careless of the reviews, I have stuck on traditional smoking. And planned to hold on to artisanal cooking. So following any info.

Comment

Stumbled on this post as I am researching SV brisket atm.. Kenji @ Seriouseats has done some serious testing:

https://www.seriouseats.com/2016/08/...q-brisket.html

just ignore the especially blasphemous 'liquid smoke' paragraph

Comment

• pknj
              pknj commented
              Editing a comment
              Second that! A good guide. Without the liquid smoke!

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              +3 on the Kenji times, I've always gone by those. Throw in that I cooked my 131* for 52 hours and got amazing results, but I know you're going for traditional finish.

New to the forums, so I hope am not hijacking this post, but it seems like a good update so i'm just gonna go for it.

I've done a brisket ear before (about 3 kgs) 'the right way' recently,but I was still getting used to my first proper grill and had difficulty keeping the temp low enough. I ended up reaching core temp too early due to the high temp.

All the guests were nice enough to give compliments, but i cooked it too high and not nearly slow enough, so 6 hours resulted in a good bark but also somewhat dry beef.

I'm having 12 people over next friday, but because I work in the hospital (and it's kinda busy right now) am going for a SV cook. I've been using sous vide since long before I was BBQ'ing, so I'm alright with the shame. My favourite Dutch meat supplier had a 5 kg USA grain fed brisket in stock, so if it won't taste good it's because I'd have mucked it up. I'm not sure if it's just a flat with no point, but will update y'all on that when it arrives.

I will be using meathead's big bad beef rub (as before), but maybe cut down on the black pepper for a bit b/c it was quite 'hot' last time around (but that could also be due to the beef being physically small then, being a brisket ear 'n all and I couldn't be bothered with weighing precisely).

i'm gonna try for 24 to 36 h of 155°F (68°C) sous vide, then freeze as fast as I can with an ice bath and then -20 C freezer, and then 3 to 4 hours of smoke (drunken chunks oaken ex-whisky barrel) at low temp. I will try to keep notes and update this (but my best friends will be joining and as expierence has taught me, notes tend to get less detailled near the end of the cook).

Comment

• rickgregory
              rickgregory commented
              Editing a comment
              why freeze it?

• BackyardBart
              BackyardBart commented
              Editing a comment
              you're right, that's only necessary if there's some time between sous vide and smoking

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here