Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Instant Pot Sous Vide Fail!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Instant Pot Sous Vide Fail!

We upgraded our Instant Pot to one of the newer, fancier models which also happens to have a sous vide function. It is the 6 quart Duo Evo Plus. Decided to run a test to see if this function is useful, wondering if it might even replace my Anova stick.
    ​​​​
    I set the temp to 130F and let it preheat. At the end of the preheat phase I Thermapenned it at only 122F. Hmmm. Let it run another 30 minutes and temped it again. Still about 4 degrees low. I rate this a fail and potentially downright dangerous. I’ll be sticking with my stick.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1490D04D-AE87-4FB1-A96B-9FD7885F3B5E.jpeg
Views:	404
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	798424

Wow, that's pretty scary. Does the lid have to be on for the sous vide function to get to the correct temperature, perhaps?

Kathryn

Comment

• Pequod
      Pequod commented
      Editing a comment
      Lid was on. Per directions, doesn’t matter whether setting the vent open or closed. Thanks for catching that. Should have mentioned above.

Thanks for the post. I am now going to check my Anova as well as my Thermapen for accuracy.

Comment

Mine is spot on. At least at 129F, my preferred temp for ribeyes

Comment

Thanks for the post. I will trust my Anova and Thermapen and use the Instant Pot for Cooking only.

Comment

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          Ditto for me: Joule for Sous Vide, Instant Pot for pressure cooking and slow cooking.

K.

• MBMorgan
          MBMorgan commented
          Editing a comment
          Yep +1

• Bkhuna
          Bkhuna commented
          Editing a comment
          What he said.

Ditto, but the Mealthy air fryer lid works great.

Comment

• Pequod
          Pequod commented
          Editing a comment
          Looked that up. Interesting accessory.

• JGo37
          JGo37 commented
          Editing a comment
          I was going to say this - good addition.

While I get the point of people like Alton Brown about unitaskers, I really do like purpose built tools for some things and sous vide is one. It might just be by contrary nature, too, but the Instant Pot mania sets my teeth on edge. As a pressure cooker? Awesome. All of the other buttons? I have a stove, an oven and pots, pans and knives.

Comment

• johnec00
          johnec00 commented
          Editing a comment
          +1 on your post, The instant pot seems that it may be one of those multi-purpose things that does a little bit of everything and nothing really well.

• surfdog
          surfdog commented
          Editing a comment
          Yep...my Instant Pot is used for pressure cooking. Full stop.
          Having the same model as Pequod I’ve yet to use the sous vide function. I like the circulation that my Anova provides...and haven’t felt the need to try the IP for that.

Some unitaskers really are up to their primary task...

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          Sous Vide sticks have a lot of different applications, though. More like ovens or stove tops, so not unitaskers. Ditto, a pressure cooker. I use my Fast/Slow for pressure cooking only, but I do all sorts of things in it.

By way of comparison, here is my trusty Anova doing what it does best. Spot on.

Click image for larger version  Name:	62168DC4-ECBE-44B2-B8A9-8C650FF61F62.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.84 MB ID:	798482

Agree with others: Instant Pot for pressure, slow cook, even a bit of sauté when done as part of a pressure or slow cook recipe. I have other, better ways for baking (hello Komodo Kamado!), steaming, cooking rice, making yogurt, etc.
        Last edited by Pequod; February 1, 2020, 01:48 PM.

Comment

For long cooks (2+ hrs), a few degrees low can mean having to throw it out as unsafe.

For any SV cook, a few degrees high ruins the meal.

Comment

Originally posted by Polarbear777 View Post
            For long cooks (2+ hrs), a few degrees low can mean having to throw it out as unsafe.

For any SV cook, a few degrees high ruins the meal.
            Makes you wonder how many people fire up sous vide units, not just the Instant Pot with Sous Vide capability, without checking the accuracy of the set temperature before first use.

Kathryn

Comment

• johnec00
              johnec00 commented
              Editing a comment
              I check it every time . . . takes about 15 seconds!

Originally posted by rickgregory View Post
            . As a pressure cooker? Awesome. All of the other buttons? I have a stove, an oven and pots, pans and knives.
            The instant pot is a flop as a slow cooker. the high isn't high temp setting is too low. The low temp setting is only good for keeping things hot.

Comment

I've had some pretty good success using my 6qt. Instant Pot as a slow cooker. It heats up faster than my large Crock Pot and actually is a bit hotter than it on both the high and low settings. I wonder if I just got lucky with that feature. K.

Comment

It’s worked well for us as a slow cooker. We’re big fans of Milk Street and are looking forward to their upcoming "Fast & Slow" cookbook which features Instant Pot recipes which can be made either Fast with pressure or Slow using the slow cook function.

Comment

Same...as a slow cooker it seems up to the task...though I’ve honestly never felt the need for a slow cooker. Other than the Duo Evo Plus, I’ve never even owned a slow cooker.
                  I got it for its fast pressure cooking abilities...for slow I simply use a Dutch Oven.

Comment

I am certainly not an expert on this subject, but with sous vide cooking food is brought to a certain temperature and held at that temperature for a period of time. In stove top cooking, the goal is to reach a temperature that will guaranty that bacteria are dead and of no threat to the consumer. Like cooking chicken until it reaches 165*F. What is mostly neglected or possibly ignored is that bacteria can/will be dead at a lower temperature if the lower temperature is reached and held for a prescribed period of time. This process is called pasteurization.

Different meats in different conditions require different times - e.g., ground beef vs whole chicken. The times at any specified temperature will vary based on the type and condition of the meat. I AM NOT recommending that anybody do what I do, but from my research on the subject and looking at the FDA pasteurization charts detailing with temperature vs time, I'm absolutely comfortable with eating sous vide chicken held at 145*F for at least 90 minutes. It is very moist and fork cutting tender. I also do pork steaks at 145*F for 18 to 24 hours and quick sear them in butter after the sous vide cook is done. The meat just falls off the bone like perfect pork ribs and is always moist and Mother love tender.

Here is a link to some discussion of doing chicken sous vide at well under 165*F:
                    Serious Eats
                    Last edited by dubob; February 3, 2020, 10:58 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here