Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Purchasing a Sous Vide device

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Purchasing a Sous Vide device

I saw that these were on sale and after looking at few different brands I have a question regarding power, some are 750, 800 or 1000 watts what is required? I read good things about the Instant Pot and the Anova models so far. I guess I have some MCS.

It depends on the volume of water you will be warming and cooking in. If you plan on large cooks, the higher watts will get to temp quicker. If you are cooking for just a few people each time, lower watts are fine. Others may provide a bit more on this, but that’s my understanding.

If i remeber, my Anova is 900 watts, it’s a few years old, they have a newer model out now. But it has worked great. A buddy of mine has a Joule and he has liked it as well. The one difference between these specific models, mine has the ability to be set on the unit itself vs Joule only through the app. Again, both are a re years older so that may be different now.

Hope that helps.

Comment

• pkadare
      pkadare commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree with barelfly with one exception, the wattage versus the volume of water isn't just a function of how quickly it will get to temp, if the wattage is too low for the volume of water, the device may not be able to properly hold the temp you need. That, to me, is an important distinction.
      Last edited by Jerod Broussard; October 27, 2019, 03:41 PM. Reason: another "l" in username

• barelfly
      barelfly commented
      Editing a comment
      yes, pkadare I completely left that out on the watt explanation I was getting at. And even had that in my mind when I was typing. Thanks for adding that.

• Argoboy
      Argoboy commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for the information, it will help me decide.

I am very happy with my Joule. If you are thinking about the Anova, you might want to wait until Black Friday. I recall they were heavily discounted last year. (In the U.S.)

Comment

Yeah Anova sees good sales in the up and coming time of year. I have the Anova 800W Bluetooth but no WiFi. Very sleek unit, works excellent, doesn't need an app to run but you can use an app to control it if you want. Always within a degree of my Thermapen. I only ever SV a few steaks in a stock pot of maybe 12qt so I cant speak to large containers, such as for brisket but I have zero doubt it could do it I just haven't yet. I suppose a bigger model may cycle the heating element less, and of course have the power to heat larger volumes quicker.

Comment

I bought the Anova on sale last year because 1) of the good reviews and 2) because I don't need an app to run it (I still have a 15 yr old flip phone). I've used it many times and I love it.

Comment

I've had an Instant Pot SV for a few months and have been very happy with it.

Comment

I have a Joule and really like it. Very easy to use. You just pick your protein and they suggest time and temp. It has been flawless.

Comment

I have an Anova I got a little over a year ago - 900W I believe. It works out great for us, just the wife and I. I haven't tried it out on any big cuts of meat - short ribs, a steak or two, and it really shines on veggies like asparagus and corn on the cob.

Comment

I wouldn't leave Gramercy out of the running - I like mine - very well built and capable. https://www.amazon.com/Gramercy-Kitc...mazingribs--20

They've added a start timer since I bought mine - I think that could be a handy feature (but keep food safety in mind).

Comment

The specs should tell you how much water volume that they are rated to maintain temperature.

some of the Anova’s latest Wi-Fi units have strange firmware problems. Had to send one back for exchange as it was unrecoverable. No doubt they will figure it out soon.

Comment

So If I wanted to cook up to 5 steaks at a time, how much water would that take? The 800 Watt says it will circulate 5 L a minute. Is that enough to do 5 steaks at a time?

Comment

• parkerj2
                      parkerj2 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      kind of depends how big the steaks are, really.

Originally posted by sthomasaz View Post
                    So If I wanted to cook up to 5 steaks at a time, how much water would that take? The 800 Watt says it will circulate 5 L a minute. Is that enough to do 5 steaks at a time?
                    Yes, but it depends on the size of your SV container and how much water you fill it with. Circulating 5L/min doesn't mean at all that you can only use 5L of water, that's just how much it circulates, it's like the ft/lbs of torque in an engine transmission, not how many people the car will hold.

Comment

I had an instant pot branded one but the clamp on it broke (it is very poorly designed). I ended up picking up this one and it has been most excellent so far without breaking the bank.

It does 7L/min and is rated for up to a 15L water bath which is more than i ever use at one time.

Comment

I still use my original Anova 800 watt model and have going on 3 years. I've got a large Lipavi plastic container that I've SV'd whole packer briskets in with little or no problem getting up to or holding temps for up to 72 hours. Unless you plan on cooking at higher temps, the Anova base unit works for 99% of your needs. Plus you can get one for around $99, while the Joule is at least 40% more (at 11100 watts).

Comment

Don't get too hung up on wattage ratings. The rated wattage is a measure of how much power is consumed by a sous vide circulator ... not how much (or how efficiently) heat is being transferred to the water. I typically use my old 900W Anova in a 12 liter plastic Cambro container with no issues whatsoever. I do cheat a little by accelerating the heating process by using hot (about 120 deg. F) water from the tap to fill the container.

That said, more is usually better ... so I'd recommend going with one of the more powerful models from one of the major brands.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here