Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This should be fun!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This should be fun!

I'm trying something new this weekend. Sous vide/smoked wild duck breasts. I sous vided some duck breasts a week ago for about 3 hours at 130*F. The liver taste had disappeared and the meat flavor was reminiscent of beef. Since there isn't any fat marble in waterfowl, the texture was VERY firm. I added a little Blues Hog Smoky Mountain sauce and thought they were excellent table fare.

I sous vided some more breast on Thursday and did them for 22 hours this time. They were removed, patted dry, and put in the ref
    rigerator. I will rub them with a beef rub today and put them in the pellet grill at low smoke (160*F) and cook them until the IT again reaches 130*F. Pictures to follow soon.

Sorry it took so long to post the pictures. I have a VERY busy retired life.

And apologies for the quality of the phone pics. I really should use my digital camera for these kinds of pictures.

Here are the 5 duck breasts sans steel pellet holes. They were sous vided for 22 hours at 130*F and then refrigerated for a day.

Next, I applied some Traeger Beef Rub to all sides of each piece.

Then they were smoked in my Camp Chef Woodwind SG using Lumberjack Comp Blend (MHC) on Low Smoke (160*F) until the IT of the meat again reached the 130*F level. That took about 3 hours or a little less. Still moist and pinkish and tasted very good to me. My bride said she could still taste a small bit of liver taste common to most ducks. I couldn't taste that at all.

It doesn't show up real well in the pic, but there is a discernable smoke ring there.

Comment

Oh, those look good. I am not adverse to the slight liver taste.

Comment

I’m curious why so long? Tenderize?

Comment

• mountainsmoker
          mountainsmoker commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes wild ducks can fly long distances in a day over there migration. Nothing like our domestic Pekin ducks raised in cages.

• dubob
          dubob commented
          Editing a comment
          I had already done some at 3 hours of 130*F. Just wanted to see if a longer cook time would make it any more tender. The short answer is that it does not make it any more tender cooking it 22 hours. I guess there isn't any connective tissue or fat to break down in wild duck breast meat.

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          Probably have connective gunk in the legs, wings, and thighs. Not so much in the breast. They are leaner than farm animals, but not that anatomically different, Mountain.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here