Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A POLL :To Sous Vide or Not To Sous Vide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey, weren't we told to drop this subject?

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      Ahhhh shuddup, you!

My favorite thing about SV is medium rare brisket and chuckies, can’t get that any other way! It’s also excellent for tri tip, lean chicken and lean pork, and a whole bunch of other stuff.

Comment

The final choice is badly worded. A hoax? By the way I do use my Anova to can hot peppers. It keeps them crunchy. So it is good for one thing, easier than dragging out than trying to maintain the temp on my gas stove. Just set it at 191 and a timer for the amount of time and forget. So I do use it once or twice a year since I have it. So voted Use < 6 times a week, can't vote for a hoax when it isn't.
      Last edited by mountainsmoker; August 22, 2019, 12:15 AM.

Comment

I like to use my SV for beef and pork, especially Tri Tip and pork loin so as not to overcook it. With only two of us in the house I sometimes have the time to putz a little more trying for a better product on the table. I think SV is just another way to cook and have some fun. To each their own.

Comment

Originally posted by ComfortablyNumb View Post
          Hey, weren't we told to drop this subject?
          Yes we were! I'm glad nobody listened!

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
            ComfortablyNumb commented
            Editing a comment
            Including the one who was sick and tired of the subject and told us to drop it.

If you used it for a foot bath the temp would stay up as long as you wanted.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
            ComfortablyNumb commented
            Editing a comment
            Brilliant! I've nursing a recovering ankle, I just might try that.

• Steve R.
            Steve R. commented
            Editing a comment
            Careful, you don't want those feet and ankles to get too tender.
            Last edited by Steve R.; August 22, 2019, 12:06 PM.

• texastweeter
            texastweeter commented
            Editing a comment
            just stick em in the chamber of your stick burner, then they would smell better too!

Its already been proven to me that its not a hoax, and I'm not ruling it out forever, but currently it doesn't interest me (neither does an InstaPot...)

Comment

I consider my Anova just another tool in my culinary arsenal and I'm still learning. But I have found it a go to method for boneless chicken breast. My Fresh Market has a weekly sale on boneless high quality chicken breasts. I take half of what I buy (usually a bunch) and throw it on the kettle for 20-30 minutes at 200-225 with a good fistful of wood chunks. After that I vac seal the smoked and unsmoked halfs in their own bags and throw them in the freezer. 1 1/2-2 hours in the bath @ 150 and I've got a refrigerator staple in this house - perfectly cooked chicken smoked or plain- however you want to use it. So much better than any processed ready to eat food from the store. Sure it takes a little time, but its mostly just hands off waiting.
            Last edited by coupster; August 22, 2019, 11:59 AM.

Comment

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              I have a Fresh Market with the same $2.99 a pound chicken special every Tuesday as well. I'll have to try this process.

• Potkettleblack
              Potkettleblack commented
              Editing a comment
              Clever.

I'm definitely intrigued.

Comment

I like to use my Joules for various tasks on busy cook days. Especially during the holidays. I always cook my prime ribs sous vide. (sear in aged tallow, SV, Broil) It allows me the time to do other things and not worry about the meat until it is time to broil. I also use my units for making Hollandaise sauce and the asparagus.

For BBQ, I use them for pork shoulders and ribs (also sear,SV, short smoke), the taste is different but that is okay and often what I am after. Additionally, the texture is always right on point and I really like that. It also makes it sooo much easier when you are cooking a ton of different meats for a get together.

As I have stated before in other threads, I see it as another tool in the arsenal. Just like my KBQ, Kamados, Kettle, PBCs or any other cooking apparatus I might own.

Comment

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                I make it. I buy a 65-day dry aged prime rib, trim the fat and render it down and sear in a 13” cast iron pan. The results are divine my friend. klflowers

• klflowers
                klflowers commented
                Editing a comment
                You guys are killing me. Now I am going to have to either find one of those or get some Umai bags and dry age one myself.

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                Do it up brother! You will not regret it!

I do a turkey breast every couple of weeks for lunch meat. Once I started doing that, I completely stopped buying it at the deli counter (even though I really like Boars Head products). Seasoned with whatever I have on hand, 145 for a couple of hours.

Comment

Let's see...
                I've used the sous vide to cook stuff, from mammals to crustraceans to vegetables to fruits to eggs to sauces.

I've used the sous vide to pasteurize eggs. To infuse butter and oil with herbs. To temper dairy for custards. To temper eggs for custards. to cook custards (a lot of custards... it's really AMAZING for custards). To reheat pork for safe consumption at work (though often I think I should go lower and thin the herd here...)... To hold my sourdough starter at a 95 degree temperature for a week to foster a sweeter flavor in the bread...

I've seen folks use it to make limoncello. I've seen it used in yogurt and cheese making. In canning and preservation. In fish and cephalopod cooking.

There are all manner of tricks you can use it for. There are all manner of practical applications.

There is no mandate that you use it, any more than there is mandate as to which cut of steak is your favorite, as to what topping you should put on your burger or what order you have it in, or even what style of outdoor cooker you use.

I've been sous viding for over a decade now. I run in phases of being more experimental and "Sous Vide All The Things" and phases of being more utilitarian, like weekly meal prep.

Like any culinary tool, you can be bad at it. You can get better with repetition and experimentation. You don't have to have it, you don't need it. Unless you want medium rare brisket (no way around that one, kiddos... and to that one person, it's only greasy in your imagination, where no one wants to go anyway).

Comment

• Troutman
                  Troutman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I like infusing butter with herbs...brillant

• Potkettleblack
                  Potkettleblack commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Coffee infused butter is amazing, too.

• holehogg
                  holehogg commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I want to make your Bailiwick my Bailiwick. Your SV posts are helpful and inspirational and enlightening.
                  The decent ones cost a fortune here but it's moved up on my list to #3 since a few boxes
                  have been ticked.

I have to say that I agree with coupster and others. Sous vide Chicken breasts are juicy and flavorful - not the dry bricks I get on my grill. My favorite (when I have time to do it) is the Troutman QVQ method. I followed his (and others) advice on beef ribs, brisket, and , most recently, chuck roast and (what my SWMBO called "the best dam_ salmon I've ever had"). I got nothing but ecstatic praises and "I'll be happy to pay you to make this for me" compliments. I have the Anova and really consider it another tool in my arsenal just like different rubs, different woods, different spices, etc. I STILL love pure salt on meat, then blue smoke. QVQ for me is just another taste/texture/convenience that I refuse to do without

Comment

• BriggsBBQ
                  BriggsBBQ commented
                  Editing a comment
                  For me also let’s say you want ribs. You can leave them sous vid while at work. Then come home and smoke to finish them off. Not as good as pure smoke but given time constraints it works.

I have 5 sous vide options (2 Joules, 1 Sous Vide Supreme, 1 Breville Control Freak and a Miele Combi Steam oven with sous vide option) and use them daily for all sorts of things- holding tempered chocolate, holding tempered colored cocoa butter, meats (sous vide Q and not), seafood, poultry, eggs, vegetables, fruits, savory & sweet custards & custard desserts, ganache, yogurt, proofing bread dough. I experiment with them a lot and am continuously amazed by the new flavors and textures created with precision temperature control. I went from being a super skeptic to a huge fan in very short order.

Comment

• HouseHomey
                  HouseHomey commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Sounds like you need to upgrade to the double stacked Rational.

I got a SV for xmas so i look forward to try this gadget out. First thing out will be a turkeybreast at 1.8 kg ish..
                Im estemating a 6-7 hours in the tub

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here