Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A POLL :To Sous Vide or Not To Sous Vide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A POLL :To Sous Vide or Not To Sous Vide

Simple poll, need to know if you .....
    Own a sous vide circulator and use it often > 6 times a month
    15.75%
    Own a sous vide circulator but only use it occasionally < 6 times a month
    43.31%
    Consider a sous vide circulator a useful bbq tool
    18.11%
    Are intrigued by sous vide and may try in the future
    15.75%
    Have absolutely no use for one and consider sous vide to be a hoax
    7.09%

The poll is expired.

Hey for once I am the majority! Of course there is only 1

Comment

• ofelles
      ofelles commented
      Editing a comment
      Well it was nice while it lasted, about 2 minutes!

I don't consider it a hoax I just prefer to cook with fire instead of in plastic bags.

Comment

• au4stree
      au4stree commented
      Editing a comment
      Same. I don't see it as a hoax, I just prefer fire.

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree with you 100%. However, it does come in handy from time to time.

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      always seems to taste "washed out" imo. Gimme fire.

No vote 'cause the jury is still out for me. I'm not lookin' for one, but won't say never.

Comment

I love it for fish and steaks. I use it a lot for defrosting stuff: I defrosted a 4 bone prime rib in 35 minutes with mine - set at 99 degrees. Also cooked a prime rib at 131 degrees for 16 hours ( with reverse sear) and it turned out amazing.

Comment

I would prefer another choice. I don’t think Sous vide is a hoax, but I have no need or desire to pursue it. Don’t need another gadget, and haven’t found any great benefit in cooks I have sampled. Just me I guess.

Comment

• au4stree
          au4stree commented
          Editing a comment
          It is not just you. I'm in the same boat.

I'm lucky if I use my sous vide 6 times a year, but the times I've used it, it helped make some great meals. Bacon wrapped pork loin, SV'ed for about 4 hours, then seared/crisped in a 500 degree oven comes to mind. Made for some of the most tender, moist pork I've turned out. The vacuum bag and time helped set the bacon solidly too.

Comment

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          I found a half pork loin in the deep freeze recently, left from a sale at Kroger last fall. I think it will make a good test subject for QVQ cooking...

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          fzxdoc this is the recipe I used, as it showed up in my Anova app:

What's better than bacon? Perfectly cooked, tender, and juicy pork loin wrapped in said bacon! #anovafoodnerd Christopher Barrett uses this perfectly paired pork dish to wow a crowd, or feed the family at dinner time. Traditionally an easy dish to overcook and dry out, Christopher uses his trusty Anova to ensure it's tender and juicy inside, with a crispy bacon wrapped exterior! Best news of all? It's. So. Simple. Try it for yourself!

I had thought the oven was hotter, but it makes sense it was only 350. I recall worrying it would raise the IT of the meat, but it was still a solid 145 internal when I took it out.

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          This recipe (above) to me is a good example of what sous vide is good for - the entire time shifting and fixing dinner when you want it thing. All in all it was a very easy meal to make, and worked well for it to cook while we were at church on a Sunday morning, and I had preprogrammed the oven to come on and preheat before we got home, and I popped it in there while we were getting the rest of dinner ready.

I just view it as another tool. It's good for some things, less good for others. Same with the InstantPot, it's great for what it's good for, but I ain't gonna try cooking everything with it. It's a fun thing to play around with, and that's why we do this, no?

Comment

• mrteddyprincess
          mrteddyprincess commented
          Editing a comment
          mnavarre I totally agree. In my experience SV is good for thick cuts like steaks and chops. Greater than 1.5 inches thick. Guarantees medium rare all the way through, cooked perfectly. I also don't think I've ever used SV without finishing it with a solid sear over hot coals. The last tri tip I cooked at 133 F all day long then seared it, and it turned out spectacularly!

• BriggsBBQ
          BriggsBBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Or if you have something completely frozen. Like a steak and the wife comes home suddenly unexpectedly saying "I want a steak". Champagne bottle pops open as you have been waiting this day for weeks.

But everything is frozen. I well if you vac sealed your frozen stuff just toss it in the SV hottub for about 45 min and it’s thawed, and ready for the grill. Might be longer depending on the steak size. But will help you get a steak from frozen to the plate same day.

SV is not a time saver per se, but definitely helps with timing, especially with big clods of meat or multiple hunks. When I have a lot of tri tips to cook I'll usually SV them first. You will never overcook a B/S chicken breast or pork chop/tenderloin doing the SV method. I enjoy grilling and smoking the traditional way as much as anyone, but the best steak I have ever eaten was a 2" ribeye I did a la SV. Many things factored into that cook, but that was the method. IMHO it's the best and safest way to do those big, thick steakhouse burgers. Wall-to-wall medium rare and no question pasteurized.

Comment

• MBMorgan
          MBMorgan commented
          Editing a comment
          Yup!

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          You said it, CaptainMike, especially about the steakburgers around our house, at least. Take it to the bank.

K.
          Last edited by fzxdoc; August 22, 2019, 10:20 AM.

I don’t feel SV is a hoax. Just not interested in that style of cooking meat. I’m a Fire kinda a guy. I know, some will ask if I ever use a microwave, and yes I do for water on my instant
        coffee, rarely. I would prefer to manage fire/coals to achieve the cooking outcome I desire. I do have thermo meters but do not run spread sheets or have electric do-jiggers & miniature bathtubs & power this & power that to cook. I lean towards what I see the old Pit Masters do, not that I am insinuatin that I am even close to their level, just like it. Give me Fire man!🕶

Oh, if I have ever observed a rigged poll, this here is one!
        Last edited by FireMan; August 22, 2019, 01:08 PM.

Comment

• bardsleyque
          bardsleyque commented
          Editing a comment
          is That why they call you FireMan?

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          texastweeter , it takes me about 35 minutes to make a pot of cowboy coffee. There are times I can’t wait.
          Nescafé dark roast BTW.

• Razor
          Razor commented
          Editing a comment
          Instant coffee? 🧐

Is that allowed on this site?

Not a hoax. I'm just not intrigued enough to try it out.

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Nothing wrong with that!

If money and space weren't an issue I'd definitely have a SV setup. I'd also have a tricked out gas grill, charcoal grill, stick burner, and my MAK on a fully plumbed and powered outdoor kitchen An SV setup is on the list behind quality meat slicer at the moment, and the meat slicer is behind a grill for the wife, which is behind.... oh yeah need a new roof and uh some other high dollar improvement inside the house I promised the wife but don't remember doing so

Comment

I’m going to buy a chamber sealer and commercial meat slicer before a SV. I can wait for my food to cook.

Comment

Interestin poll...

There is no choice that aligns with my perceptions of SV, therefore, I respectfully abstain.

I fall into th same category as previously expressed by Attjack RonB Texas Larry FireMan smokin fool
            jerrybell

I believe, to quote my previous post, "it ain't what I'm doin, right now..."

Comment

I live my SV. I use it for everything I need a certain temp under a boil. Like coffee. I can heat the water to the perfect temp for my French press. Really made coffee better.

Also so great for prep for certain things. Like I used it on pork belly to make a sped up version of pork belly burnt ends. Reason was it was for an egg fest competition.

When its it’s raining or crazy outside really helps. Of course now I have a covered balcony so I guess doesn’t help for that anymore.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here