Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steak question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steak question

Does sous vide work better on certain types of steak?

I'm a big ribeye fan but it seems would work better on fillet

if I'm looking to do medium rare should I sous vide at 120° then sear.

how long should I sous vide ? Is there any benefit for keeping it at temperature longer?

If your steaks are over 1 inch thick about two hours in the sous vide, then sear. Melt in your mouth and tender

Comment

Sous vide works on any type of cut of meat, steak or otherwise. The important thing to remember is that temp equals doneness and time equals tenderness. The more tender a cut is to begin with, the less time you need and time is a function of thickness when not cooking for a long time. The more tough a cut is to begin with, the more time you need. Try a chuck roast at 130 degrees for 48 hours. You'd swear you're eating prime rib.

Comment

Man. My question would go along in this way: is the difference worth getting out the sous vide equipment, when reverse sear gets you almost all the way there anyhow?

In in our house, most steaks are 1” thick and less. I don’t even reverse sear those: 2 minutes a side and 2 minutes dwell gets medium rare. Medium is a minute more, 2:30 a side and a 3 minute dwell.

You got some 2” thick strips, or ribeyes, sure. Sous vide.

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Why deal with steak cuts less than 1"? So much more predictable if you get them up to 1 1/2" to 2".

• Irishfuente
          Irishfuente commented
          Editing a comment
          See I'm with you. I love reserve sear. It's my favorite way to cook a steak, especially a ribeye, Even a nice thick steak I can have so tender and perfect medium rare. But I've heard such good things about sous vide, but it seems like it's a look at me I sous vide. Rather than a great technique

• Mosca
          Mosca commented
          Editing a comment
          Troutman , bigger steaks are too much food for an everyday meal. For an occasion maybe, but those usually default to rib roast instead. A 1" ribeye with a nice cap is perfect.

You mean something like this pkadare?

Click image for larger version

Name:	roast 05.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	721829

Comment

• Bkhuna
          Bkhuna commented
          Editing a comment
          Yup.

• pkadare
          pkadare commented
          Editing a comment
          Yup! Outstanding Troutman!

A good place to start:
        https://www.seriouseats.com/2016/01/...l-recipes.html

You can leave in the bath too long.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here