Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to SV, quick question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to SV, quick question

I just jumped on the SV bandwagon and got an Anova Nano on Prime Days. One of the things I have noticed mentioned in here and also on their app is to pat it dry. How dry do I need to do so and what is the exact reason? Trying to learn!

Sorry, not sure if this question should be here or in
    Recipe, Technique, Food & Cooking Discussion\Sous Vide (cooking techniques & recipes)

So please move if it needs to be.
    Last edited by tamidw; July 23, 2019, 10:51 PM.

Never patted mine dry. I pull it out the water, tilt to drain water collected in the bottom of the unit, then lay it on my lid to the container.

***I use the original, not the Nano.

Comment

I too tip it to empty it, then a shake or three, then lie on the counter (the device, not me). Only if I need to put it in the box right away do I towel dry it.

Comment

• DWCowles
      DWCowles commented
      Editing a comment
      I bet if you drink enough bourbon you will try to lay on the counter. 😂

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      DW cracking wise .... LOVE it !!!

Originally posted by tamidw View Post
    I just jumped on the SV bandwagon and got an Anova Nano on Prime Days. One of the things I have noticed mentioned in here and also on their app is to pat it dry. How dry do I need to do so and what is the exact reason? Trying to learn!
    It appears that you're asking about patting the device itself dry, which I've never heard of. Now, if you're really asking about patting the protein dry after removing it from the bag and prior to searing, that is essential for a good sear and you want it to be really dry. If the protein is the slightest bit damp you're going to wind up steaming it rather than searing it, and you won't get a good sear. Needs to be dry for that wonderful maillard reaction to take place.

Comment

• Thunder77
      Thunder77 commented
      Editing a comment
      good point!

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Yea I thought that's what she was asking when I first read it as well. But I just followed the lemmings and thought it was the unit. Good point and better observation.

• dubob
      dubob commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep! From a steak recipe on Anova.com you have this: Finishing Steps; Stovetop
      Step 1; Remove the steak from the bag and place it on a paper towel-lined plate. Pat it dry very carefully on both sides. If you did not season before bagging the steak, season it now generously with salt and pepper. Does not say how dry to pat it, but I would guess that it should not be shiny wet.

Yes, thank you! I did mean the protein. Haha! Guess I was caught up in what I was asking to make sure I was clarifying what to pat dry. Thanks for the laughs and reason. 😊

Comment

If you’re going to sear it then by all means thoroughly pat it dry. On the other hand, if you plan to smoke it after SV then don’t pat it dry. Smoke will adhere much better to a wet surface.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here