Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice for first Sous Vide stick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have the Anova 800 w/ Bluetooth (not WiFi) and I agree with the above comment that even though it's neat, I don't find the Bluetooth practical for me and how I do things. I suppose if you were running a SV session while at work, it'd be nice to feel in control w/ WiFi and keep a real-time eye on things, but realistically you're not too often changing SV temps during a cook. And Bluetooth is only good for an at-home distance, so really what good is it? What I appreciate about the Anova is its display and the adjustment wheel right on the unit, so it's self-contained and doesn't need an app (but has one of course if that's your cup of tea). Instant Pot's SV is very similar in that regard, looks to be a great unit as well. Not sure if theirs has a dedicated SV app, I know they have a cooking app though.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      I've never been able to get the Wi-Fi to work, it doesn't ever want to recognize my networks. Be that as it may, I'm like you, what real good does it do? The only thing it might come in handy for is if you are running late getting home and you want to extend a timed cook.

I'd go with the Anova too. The clip that holds it in place broke on mine. I emailed the company to buy a new clip but they sent one for free.

Comment

Thank you for all your help and input! I decided to get the Anova. I think the major deciding factor was that we just don't know too much about the IP for longevity so the well established brand with a good reputation stood out. Now time to find a good but cheap vacuum sealer. The MCS continues!

Comment

• jumbo7676
        jumbo7676 commented
        Editing a comment
        If you search Amazon for Prime Day FoodSaver you get a few options on sale.

I have the instant pot one and its been a champ. Use it about 3 times a week for the last 8 months and its never freaked out. You dont need a vac sealer for sous vide but it helps a lot for preseasoning meals and freezing so you can pull it out the freezer and right into sous vide. Generally speaking you gotta add an extra hour if its frozen but usually that isnt a big pain.

Comment

I have the Joule and love using it. My neighbor has the Anova and he loves it as well.

I don't think you can go wrong.

Comment

I’ve been completely happy with my anova. Like others have mentioned, i don’t use the bells and whistles. Just plug it in, set it, and let it do its thing.

Comment

Photos of 33 days Umai Dry aged Prime strip, trimmed, cut, labelled & vacuum bagged for freezer
            Attached Files

Comment

Seems you already bought, but I just want to recommend this to anybody who wants one... I've been using mine regularly, in fact it is running now since Sunday evening, 48 hours into a 72 hour cook... it is accurate, quiet, corrosion resistant, and very sturdy. I'm not sure why it isn't mentioned much - Anova seems to be the go to, but seems expensive to me... https://www.amazon.com/Gramercy-Kitc...sr=1-1-catcorr

Comment

This test/comparison article from Serious Eats might help you decide: https://www.seriouseats.com/2018/12/...rculators.html

Comment

big thumbs up for Joule by ChefSteps, you will be very happy.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here