Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice for first Sous Vide stick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pkadare
    commented on 's reply
    Not to mention the absolute need for another device in order to be able to use it. I've got the Anova that does both blue tooth and WiFi, and I'm a huge gadget geek. Really have never used my phone or any other device with it.

• Troutman
    replied
    Not that this has anything to do with your choices, but buying one and using it is a game changer (gawd I hate that term, can't believe I just used it). Had a meal to make for the wife and myself on Saturday night and had nothing thawed. I opened the freezer inside the house and started to dig, I keep a log of my meat freezer in the garage but not the one in the house. Anyway I get to the bottom and here are a couple of choice ribeyes from October of 2018 looking all gnarly but still well sealed in their vacuum bag.

So I fire up the Anova in my small container and 20 minutes later I'm at 129* and I plop them still frozen into the bath. I took off and had an errand to run, came back after an hour and let them go for another hour. Went outside and fired up the Jumbo Joe, filled the charcoal basket with 1/3 chimney full of coals. At the end of the bath I seasoned, seared and those little choice steaks tasted like pure California gold. Tender, wall-to-wall perfectly medium rare pink in color with a glorious mahogany sear. Really enjoyed those little buggers.

So...the moral to the story is don't even hesitate to buy a circulator. Those who turn their noses up at SV cooking have no clue of it's potential.

Leave a comment:

• pkadare
    commented on 's reply
    crazytown3 - Forced, heh, heh, heh. :-)

• fracmeister
    replied
    I have them all. Pretty good luck with them. I use them all the time

Leave a comment:

• Troutman
    replied
    Anova, hands down. Best bang for the buck. You can sometimes find the larger unit on sale for around $99, makes it a much better bang for the buck than the Joule. Joule's a fine machine, just can't justify the additional cost.

Leave a comment:

• crazytown3
    replied
    I have 2 units, both of them are 'off brands', and they both work great. Neither one has bluetooth or wifi, and that's just fine with me.

- VAVA Sous Vide Cooker
    - Dash Sous Vide

That being said, I think the Anova units are very well supported, and the Anova Nano is one I have considered getting as a 3rd unit (MCS2 indeed).

Leave a comment:

• crazytown3
    commented on 's reply
    +1 on that. I obtained my 2nd unit a few months after the first. Things need 2 different temps sometimes, so I was forced to buy the 2nd one.

• klflowers
    commented on 's reply
    raven I agree. I have the Anova and I don't use the wifi at all. Luckily I got it really cheap before they got so popular. The joule has a good rep though.

• CaptainMike
    commented on 's reply
    Wut he sed.

• raven
    commented on 's reply
    I saw that too but honestly I don't see the need for myself to have wifi and the extra cost associated with that.

• klflowers
    replied
    The ChefSteps Joule is on sale for 139.30.

Leave a comment:

• ComfortablyNumb
    commented on 's reply
    Myself as well. Like that I don't need to use a phone to operate it.

• Greygoose
    replied
    Happy with my Anova

Leave a comment:

• pkadare
    replied
    BTW - if you get into SV, you'll likely want a second one at least. :-) MCS2? More Circulator Syndrome?

Leave a comment:

• pkadare
    replied
    Amazon has a very liberal return policy. Buy them both, test them, and then keep the one that does what you need.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here