Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So Vida 11 quart insulated box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So Vida 11 quart insulated box

After seeing the thread about the Anova sous vide insulated circulator box, it occurred to me I was just using a stock pot. There wasn’t much room and the food tended to block the circulation.

But $150 is more than the circulator cost. So I found the So-Vide 11 quart insulated box made for Anova for $40 and got that instead. The box doubles as a storage container for the circulator. Or it’s also a small cooler / lunchbox if you add ice.

Anyway here is the result of my testing:
    circulator: anova 900 watt stick
    Water added: 8 quarts
    water temp: 77.7
    counter temp: 78
    box side temp: 80
    box top temp: 80

time to heat to 160: 31m44s
    box side temp: 97
    box top temp: 112

after 1 hour at 160 degrees:
    box side temp: 101
    box top temp: 115

Then I set the circulator temp to 65 so the heater would be off but the pump still on.

15 minutes circulate only:
    water temp: 158
    side temp: 100
    top: 114

30 minutes:
    water: 156
    side: 100
    top: 114

45 minutes:
    water: 154
    side: 99
    top: 112

1 hour:
    water: 152
    side: 99
    top: 110

bottom line, it works. Certainly loses less heat than the stock pot. Makes it easier for the device to hold temperature. The box exterior doesn’t get hot, so it’s safer. And it has greater capacity than what I was using. It is sixes to hold a rack and the top perfectly fits the Anova stick for zero water loss ( or very little). I’m happy with it.

Yes, it did rain ALL DAY here

Click image for larger version

Name:	FDFBE74C-DF9B-449E-8C35-A2C70A6C3BEE.jpeg
Views:	168
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	691916

Nice. I need that other one. Maybe by the end of the month.

Comment

Since I'm new to sous vide as of a couple months ago, I just figured you stick the stick in a container and let er rip. We don't have a stock pot, so I went to Amazon (where else ) and found what I thought I needed. I bought the Rubbermaid 12 Quart Square Food Storage Container ) and the EVERIE Lid. Total cost for both was $30.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190609_064516.jpg Views:	1 Size:	55.5 KB ID:	692139Click image for larger version  Name:	20190609_064525.jpg Views:	1 Size:	63.8 KB ID:	692138

I have 2 pork steaks going right now for diner tonight. They will be seared on the CC Woodwind Sear Box and then get a coat of some Blues Hog Smoky Mountain Sauce. Amen!
      Last edited by dubob; June 9, 2019, 07:08 AM.

Comment

• SmokeyGator
        SmokeyGator commented
        Editing a comment
        That works too. Lots of things do. It’s just that I bought the cooler thing and it rained ALL DAY so I had nothing else to do except science

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here