Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What should your first Sous Vide cook be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steaks and chicken breasts are, in my opinion the two easiest places to start. Steak is less exciting if you can already nail a good steak, but cooking chicken breasts at temperatures you really can't otherwise is eye-opening. Thick hamburgers are really nice too, just make sure you look up "water displacement method" first since a vacuum sealer will squish them. Pork tenderloin is another favorite around here.

Most of the other places where sous-vide really shines takes a lot of time if you want to do really interesting stuff. For instance, I've got a couple chuck roasts cooking at 131ºF right now that, when done, will have spent at least 60 hours in the bath. You can replicate the effects of BBQ-style low'n slow cooks without also overcooking the meat. This leads to medium rare chuck roasts and brisket that are practically fork tender. (Then into an ice bath and into the smoker for a little while.)

Originally posted by mountainsmoker View Post
    What the heck is this world becoming COOKING YOUR MEAT IN A BAG in water. JEEZ no wonder we are having a world wide warming. An extra 2-3 hours of cooking our meat. For GS if you can't cook a decent piece of meat without SV get off this site. There are improvements in smoking that have moved us forward and made sense, but this ain't one of them. It is like me finding a way for people to eat raw chicken.
    While I have no specific data on the matter, I'm going to guess the electricity used to cook the meat with a water circulator—particularly if the basin is insulated—even if it's from a coal-burning source is probably has less environmental impact than burning charcoal, gas, or pellets. The plastic bags are a factor, but I've even got some reusable silicon bags that work okay.

There are certain things you just can't do without sous-vide, unless you can show me another way to produce tender medium-rare brisket. There's no other close to sure-fire food safe way to make medium rare steakhouse burgers either. Same goes for chicken breasts. Breasts that are cooked safely at 145ºF can't be cooked safely in any other way that I'm aware of.

Lots of us sous-vide in conjunction with smoking—before and after. It's just another tool. Heck, using the techniques around here without a grill, I've made some pretty darn good ribs using my oven. At the end of the day, cooking is about temperature control. From sous-vide to open fires, it's very much the same. And most sous-vide cooks require finishing via another method anyway.

Comment

• mountainsmoker
      mountainsmoker commented
      Editing a comment
      I have removed this inflamatory insulting comment - Meathead

• mountainsmoker
      mountainsmoker commented
      Editing a comment
      Meathead Thank you it should never have been made. I will refrain from such comments in the future. You have a great website and I am not here to spoil it.

• binarypaladin
      binarypaladin commented
      Editing a comment
      Regardless, I was just giving you a response about some of the unique bits related to sous-vide. I wasn't too concerned with the inflammatory bits and more about some of the facts. The main point is that it's really just a toolbox thing.

I get the revulsion. Despite the fact that I've found baking bacon to be the best method, it still feels heretical every single time, lol.

(I should include chicken sashimi is also a thing. We've found ways to eat raw chicken. Haha.)

Group hug.. Now, let's get back to being friends and making great food!

Comment

mountainsmoker Thanks for the kind words. The Pitmaster Club belongs to the members and we like it neighborly.

Comment

On the veggie side of things, brussel sprouts, corn on the cob, and carrots. Carrots in the SV, IMO, simply can't be beat!

Comment

• mountainsmoker
          mountainsmoker commented
          Editing a comment
          I love carrots normally grill them with butter and thyme over the coals on my smoker for about 2 hours. My wife makes my add some chopped onions if I don't get out of the kitchen before she gets there.LOL

• pkadare
          pkadare commented
          Editing a comment
          mountainsmoker - I agree with grilled carrots, they are also awesome.

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          mountainsmoker loves me some grilled carrots, so sweet, tender, an tasty...generally swimmin all up in some butter, mind ya, though bacon grease works a right treat, as well...
          Never be afeart to sprinkle a lil bit of dill, all up in there, or some brown sugar, in teensy measure...I enjoy either/both, sometimes, in my carrots...lmk if ya try it, and/or enjoy it...always willin to hear constructive criticism...

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here