Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What should your first Sous Vide cook be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Peanut butter, nuff said! 🕶

Comment

• dubob
      dubob commented
      Editing a comment
      Well DUHHHH!

I've been doing turkey tenderloins that come out so tender and juicy. I do a pan sear with butter, rosemary and garlic, coating the turkey with the butter mix as it sears.

Comment

For the first SV cook...steak, hands down. Because it's not only great, but stoopid simple.
      Set the hot tub to your desired temp and let it roll. When it's time to come out...blast it in a HOT cast iron skillet, over a blazing fire, or hit it with a torch. The Bernzomatic BZ4500HS is my weapon of choice.

Which also happens to be the exact model that Sansaire sells as part of their $179 searing kit...but not as pretty.

Mods please fix the link. ;-)

Comment

Just a quick update...I wasn't expecting it to come in for another couple of weeks, but then I got a USPS tracker update saying it will be delivered tomorrow. Since I didn't have a ton of time to go shopping and plan it, I'm going with a recent hit I have found thanks to Troutman . That's right, I'm cooking Godzilla...I mean picanha/coulette. Hope I can get it near your perfection. Will follow up with results soon. Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll be trying many more soon.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	DC285FA6-4061-476C-9E24-D69540C3508A.jpeg
Views:	192
Size:	250.0 KB
ID:	703777Click image for larger version

Name:	503DD9A5-8851-474E-8D05-F4E14D2CD60A.jpeg
Views:	229
Size:	195.9 KB
ID:	703779 Hi all,
          i just got a Joule and first tried a ribeye steak which came out perfectly - seared in cast iron pan and basted with butter. Next, tried red and golden beets - in bag with olive oil, bay leaf, thyme, and garlic - very flavorful and tender 👍
          Attached Files

Comment

• FrostyBrew
            FrostyBrew commented
            Editing a comment
            Man, that looks good. Funny thing -- I've got some golden beets in the Joule right now, with some thyme & lemon peel. No meat, though.

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Bravo !!!!’ Now you get it !!!!!’

One tip for searing, and this is going to sound weird, but don't knock it until you've tried it - after you remove the meat from the hot tub and thoroughly dry it off, put a thin coat of mayonnaise on both sides and the sear it. Awesome crust and you don't taste the mayo at all.

Comment

• Polarbear777
            Polarbear777 commented
            Editing a comment
            Doesn’t sound weird at all. Butter/oil etc helps the sear, mayo is mostly oil. Sounds good to me.

• PSULion
            PSULion commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for the idea! Interesting 🤔 but makes sense, some people use mayo for grilled cheese !

• grantgallagher
            grantgallagher commented
            Editing a comment
            yup. its why mayo is the key to an amazing grilled cheese.

Pork belly

Comment

I wanted something pure sous vide, and a long cook. I did pot roast. Fantastic.

Comment

Definitely 3# of pork belly, used ChefSteps recipe. Still working on popcorn.

Comment

What the heck is this world becoming COOKING YOUR MEAT IN A BAG in water. JEEZ no wonder we are having a world wide warming. An extra 2-3 hours of cooking our meat. For GS if you can't cook a decent piece of meat without SV get off this site. There are improvements in smoking that have moved us forward and made sense, but this ain't one of them. It is like me finding a way for people to eat raw chicken.

This is my opinion and as I get older I get more of them. At least the Weber kettle hasn't changed much.

Well God Bless and all have a happy 4th of July.

Comment

• Steve R.
                  Steve R. commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'll admit that SV isn't really my thing, either. But guess what... I'm not on the SV channel bashing it. Your opinion is shared by many and has been expressed ad nauseum, so it's not some new idea that people need to let sink in.

BTW, your last two sentences don't make the tone of the whole preceding paragraph ok. Kind of like "with all due respect" before letting someone have it.
                  Last edited by Steve R.; July 1, 2019, 07:59 AM.

• DeusDingo
                  DeusDingo commented
                  Editing a comment
                  i wish you'd start getting younger...

Originally posted by mountainsmoker View Post
                What the heck is this world becoming COOKING YOUR MEAT IN A BAG in water. JEEZ no wonder we are having a world wide warming. An extra 2-3 hours of cooking our meat. For GS if you can't cook a decent piece of meat without SV get off this site. There are improvements in smoking that have moved us forward and made sense, but this ain't one of them. It is like me finding a way for people to eat raw chicken.

This is my opinion and as I get older I get more of them. At least the Weber kettle hasn't changed much.

Remember, we all have opinions, and we all have things we like & dislike. The beauty of our site is that we accept each others' favorite ways, experimentation, curiosities, etc, w/o knocking it if it doesn't fit our personal preferences. In fact, if a person "can't cook a decent piece of meat w/o SV" they should be hanging out on this site, they will learn many things! The beauty of a forum with so many topics is we can skip right over topics that do not interest us, and let those whom it does interest enjoy the conversation.

Comment

• mountainsmoker
                  mountainsmoker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yep and what my last two sentences referred to. No one has to like my opinion. but they should read it and take it into there thoughts. The extra use of energy is not needed and doesn't needed to be to make great Q.

• Red Man
                  Red Man commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Opinions are like ***holes. Everyone has them, and most of them stink. 😁🤣

• dubob
                  dubob commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I can get a PERFECT medium rare beef steak 100% of the time with SV. I've never used any other cooking method that will provide that perfection at that success rate. And after cooking for over 50 years, I've tried a majority of the methods. SV is just another tool that has benefits. Use it; don't use it. No reason to bash it just because you decided it doesn't work for you. And that is MY opinion. No agreement necessary.

sos2979 I would go with tri-tip that is ultimately reverse seared and Creme Brulee.

Comment

Originally posted by mountainsmoker View Post

The extra use of energy is really a straw man. I can either SV a nice thick steak for an hour and then simply sear it for about 1 minute per side, or I can burn wood for 8 to 10 minutes Just to cook the steak. That doesn't include the heat up time, nor the time the wood continues to burn after the meat has been removed. Without doing the required math or science, neither one of us can state with authority which method is worse for the environment. I respect your opinion, don't agree with it, but I respect it. What I take exception to is this; "For GS if you can't cook a decent piece of meat without SV get off this site." That comment is uncalled for. If you search the main site for sous vide you get 50 some odd hits. Does that mean that Meathead and his staff should also "get off this site"?

Comment

• dubob
                    dubob commented
                    Editing a comment
                    pkadare, well said!

Originally posted by pkadare View Post
                  One tip for searing, and this is going to sound weird, but don't knock it until you've tried it - after you remove the meat from the hot tub and thoroughly dry it off, put a thin coat of mayonnaise on both sides and the sear it. Awesome crust and you don't taste the mayo at all.
                  pkadare Thanks! Great suggestion! Tried it last night. Sous vide, thoroughly dried, thin coat of mayo, and 30 seconds on the cast iron.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8847.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	705347

Comment

• pkadare
                    pkadare commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That looks outstanding, and an awesome looking crust! :-)

• Huskee
                    Huskee commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Wow!

• dubob
                    dubob commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Don't look mountainsmoker

mountainsmoker Good points. Bless my Weber Kettle. Yes, we are primarily about barbecue. And Grilling. And cooking. Of all sorts. About food. And the love of cooking and feeding friends and family. So we are not strictly barbecue. We have sorta squishy walls. And since sous vide meld perfectly with the smoker and grill, why not? If that doesn't sit well with you, well then maybe this is not a good place for you. But before you bail, with an open mind and an open heart, read what I have written in my attempt to wrassle to the ground the daffynition of barbecue here https://amazingribs.com/barbecue-his.../what-barbecue

Comment

• mountainsmoker
                    mountainsmoker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Nah I'll stick around SV just get's under my skin. I really appreciate what you have done for the BBQ world. Have a happy 4th. Tom

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here