Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to Sous Vide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to Sous Vide

To be perfectly honest, I had never heard of Sous Vide (SV) until just last week. My neighbor loaned me his Anova and I did two fillet mignons that night. I seared them on the sear box that came with my new (last month) Camp Chef Woodwind SG. They were excellent. Ruths Chris Steak House ani't got nothing on me. 😁

I immediately ordered an Anova Nano from Amazon along with a 12 qt Rubbermaid container and an Everi lid with a cutout for the Anova. The day it arrived, I did a chuck eye steak to medium rare perfection. The next day I did a 24 hour pork steak that was the most tender I'd ever eaten. Yesterday I did 2 chicken breasts at 150F and they were perfect in texture, moistness, and tenderness. Tonight, I put a London Broil in for a 24 hour cook and will have it for dinner tomorrow. I hope it will be melt in my mouth tender.

This is going to be a great year folks. I'm into pellet smoker grills and SV cooking. Life is good. 😊👍👌

SV is a great tool in the bbq arsenal. I personally have the Anova 900 watt with WiFi.

Comment

SV steaks, ice bath, then a warp 10 sear. Best steaks! Super convenient!

Comment

• dubob
        dubob commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey Scott, can you expound on that a little? While I want the nice pink of medium rare in my steaks, I don't want the meat cold when I eat it. So, how long of an ice bath would you suggest? My sear box puts out maybe 800F and the instructions say 2 minutes on a side after SV. That hasn't changed the doneness of any of my SV cooks so far without doing an ice bath. Remember, this is all new to me.

• scottranda
        scottranda commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, so you can SV your steaks from 1-4 hours, and whenever it’s convenient to you, you can start the next step (cold shocking). The idea is that you SV your steak to YOUR ideal doneness temperature. If you sear it from there, you’ll overshoot your finished temp b/c it was already at the perfect temp. So, you cold shock it in an ice bath for about 10 minutes (or longer if they are thick steaks).

• scottranda
        scottranda commented
        Editing a comment
        That brings the temp down from the finished/done temp. Then you take it out of the ice bath, and you now have room (in temp) to sear your steak and get that nice Maillard reaction. If you didn’t cold shock, you’d overdo your steak. I promise, if you cold shock it, it won’t taste cold after you sear it. It’ll be a nice warm temp with an amazing sear, and your steak has the perfect level of pinkness (b/c you SV’d it already).

I'm new to SV myself and I'm hooked. I have done a prime rib roast, several steaks, and some fresh caught yellowfin tuna - best way to do tuna. One of the most common uses I have for the SV is to defrost and heat frozen stuff that I have vacuum sealed in the freezer. Thanks to the constant temp management possible with SV I was able to thaw a 4 lb prime rib in about 30-45 minutes when this would have taken a few hours in the sink with water - I set it for about 98* so the meat wouldn't cook yet. Then seasoned and SV at 131* for 16 hours. Great for thawing precooked stuff and heating to serving temperature too.
      Last edited by 58limited; March 30, 2019, 10:38 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here