Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I Sense A Flaw In My Lengua Plan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I Sense A Flaw In My Lengua Plan

This is Ahumadora's fault.

I bought a beef tongue yesterday and threw it in the SV bath figuring i'd crash it and then smoke it in a day or to, when I had time.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4107.JPG
Views:	179
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	620349

I forgot about removing the skin, which is roughly a million times easier when it's warm. So current plan is to take it out of the SV bath, let it cool to the point i'm able to handle it with glove liners and nitriles and remove the membrane. Then re bag it, and into an ice water bath and the fridge until I can smoke it in a day or two

Name:	IMG_4108.JPG
Views:	171
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	620348

Anybody see a downside to that plan?

Sounds like a plan.

Comment

You can do it

Comment

Not everyday you get to say "Look, babe! Tongue juice!".

Oddly, she did not seem to be impressed.

Comment

I am going to buy 2 tongues for a bbq course this Sunday. Think about doing it Pastrami style and putting it in a brine until the weekend. Then a heavy coat of beef rub and smoke it!

Comment

Yeah. You gotta get that skin off. I mean... just think of all the snot that skin has touched.

Comment

I've had stuff like tongue and cheek at a local taco stand, but if I brought something like that home, the wife would probably kick me out, or at tell me to get it off her kitchen counter! . A tongue floating in a SV bath for a day or so just seems sorta crazy. Like a brain in a jar maybe, haha...

Let us know how it works out.

Comment

• mnavarre
                mnavarre commented
                Editing a comment
                My wife isn't the biggest tongue fan, either, but i figure I can eat enough lengua tacos for the both of us.

Sounds like a decent plan - haven't done tongue except to braise, skin, slice and fry. Let us know how it turns out.

Comment

So, 24x155 in the hot tub and then on the floppy grate in the PBJr. while I cooked a chicken on the hangy side. Bark could be better, but I might have been a bit aggressive spritzing, so...

I don't think this is gonna suck.

Name:	IMG_4109.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	620746

Out of the SV bath and rubbed with the PBC Beef and Game rub.

Name:	IMG_4110.JPG
Views:	186
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	620745

Off the PBJr. resting in foil wrapped in a towel now.

Comment

• Ahumadora
                  Ahumadora commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Looks great!! For me I would have it sliced on a fresh bun with pico de gallo... Let us know how it tastes..

• EdF
                  EdF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I agree with Ahumadora ! Looks great!

Have help today. Stepping it up around here. 2 lenguas and a corazón (heart). Doin it pastrami style and since I do not have a sous vide will cook it in the pot for a few hours.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Ahumadora; January 10, 2019, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here