Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats the most likely culprit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whats the most likely culprit?

vac sealer, bags, or human error?

hope this is the right channel, but ive been noticing that a bunch of the stuff i vac seal either a) has an audible puff of air releasing when you disengage the vac sealer or b) has quite obviously gained air between me putting it in the freezer and thawing it out.

any ideas?

Food saver bags do fail occasionally but usually you can tell right after you seal and before you store.

My theory is that when vac bags get tossed and rolled around in the freezer, they sometimes get scratched and eventually can let air in.

Comment

As to a), this is not air releasing, rather air sucking into the vacuum of the empty chamber when you disengage. As to b), I am not sure of the question brother! But I'm a watching for others to chime in!

Comment

• grantgallagher
        grantgallagher commented
        Editing a comment
        Your answer to A makes so much sense im actualluly mad at myself...and as for B, lets wait and see

• MeatMonster
        MeatMonster commented
        Editing a comment
        lonnie mac is spot on, and indeed freezing, especially in a busy freezer can often lead to accidental punctures or scratches. Only other comment is to make sure you're using good quality bags.

I occasionally put sealed bags from the freezer and find they are no longer fully vacuumed. And I always double seal the bags. If I can remember, I'm gonna fill one of the bags that failed with water after emptying it and then reseal it. Then I will check it for leaks.

Comment

• Steve R.
        Steve R. commented
        Editing a comment
        You could also vacuum seal some ice, thaw it and check for leaks. That would rule out any issues with resealing.

As another has said, air is getting in, you do not have a good seal. If you have a wet/dry setting, you might not be using that correctly. If you get the bag dirty where the seal will be that would cause a problem with sealing. I always double seal to help prevent any problems.

Comment

I saw a tip today, on my sous vide app (new thing, first time), called to roll over the edges of the bag before filling the bag, fill the bag, flip the edges back up and seal. Of course, if I try that, I'll slap the seasoned raw chicken all over the outside (the rolled over sealing surfaces) and, regardless, my greasy grimy hands will mess up the sealing surfaces. I think our old sealing machine stays in sealing mode until the vacuum says I quit...never got a bad seal. Been thinking awhile about that seeming air ingress to the frozen prize. First, I thought, once sealed there's really very little vacuum...you use vacuum to pull out the air and the bag gets compressed by atmospheric pressure...the displacements (air for bag compression) are nearly one for one...then I realized, there'll always be some air left in the bag...now I'm thinking water in meat (or anything) expands when frozen...for which the air in the bag gets compressed and forces the bag to lose some of its shrink.

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Definitely make that approach a habit when sealing!

I’ve often wondered if it’s somehow gases released from within?? If that’s not the case then a leak is the obvious answer.

Comment

I have examined the seals on items I have frozen but they did not remain under vacuum and most of the time I can find a flaw in the seal like a small wrinkle. I now examine every seal and if it isn't perfect it gets another seal. However, I do believe I have had bones puncture a bag due to rough handling.

Comment

One thing I have had problems with is sharp ends/points causing a leak. Brisket for example always seals great with my sealer. No leaks ever. Ribs, 90% long term seal is fine.
            Chicken halves seem to cause the biggest issue. When the sealer sucks all the air out and compresses the plastic around, a sharp rib bone can cause a really weak "joint".

Comment

• lonnie mac
              lonnie mac commented
              Editing a comment
              When I spatch, I always remove the rib bones. Really easy to do.

FoodSaver's Heavy Duty Gamesaver Bags work great for me no matter what I freeze in them. I always double seal them.

I used to have an occasional problem with the fat from my PBC-smoked sausages leaching through the bag. Not a problem since I switched to the Heavy Duty Gamesavers.

Click image for larger version

Name:	eb80339c246ee62b28fc9099994ac4ce6384b214?response-content-type=image%2Fjpeg&AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAIIE5CHZ4PRWSLYKQ&Expires=1893511581&Signature=V%2Fk1f7yb0UkT30af0%2FdIZYuOTvY%3D.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	620430

Kathryn

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here