Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

just ordered a Joule! , plus 12 qt container, lid, clips etx.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

just ordered a Joule! , plus 12 qt container, lid, clips etx.

Now what?

Seal something and cook it! My first cook was a NY strip steak in for a couple hours at 132 then seared on CI. Next was beef ribs in the bath for something like 30 hours and finished on the kettle. Both were excellent.

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      That's right, klflowers ! Short ribs were made for it.

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Jon Liebers , I plunge our sous vide-ed steaks, still in the bag, in a 50/50 ice bath for a few minutes before searing. Gets that surface chilled down nicely before going to Sear-town for some delicious bark.

Kathryn

P.S. You might find this recent topic interesting to read thorough. https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...e-steak-method
      Last edited by fzxdoc; December 21, 2018, 02:16 PM.

• Jon Liebers
      Jon Liebers commented
      Editing a comment
      thanks all.

Don't know if Joule has recipes, but Anova does. Go here and have fun.

Find recipes for cooking sous vide and precision cooking. Get recipes for sous vide chicken, sous vide pork, sous vide steak, and more.

Comment

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Joule has recipes accompanied by videos right on the app. Just select the food type, choose the recipe, and set the desired temp from the list provided or set your temp manually. The recommended time for the thickness of food, fresh or frozen, and the desired temp is then set by the Joule app. Then let it do its thing. Perfect every time.

• Corvus
      Corvus commented
      Editing a comment
      We've used the ChefSteps site and app for a variety of recipes....meats, poultry, vegs, yogurt, eggs benedict......they have really perfected the process.

• Jon Liebers
      Jon Liebers commented
      Editing a comment
      do you guys subscribe to chefsteps premium? wondering if its worth it

If you still at a loss you can post it to me😊

Comment

Just be careful about what you put in the bag with the meat. For sure, avoid raw garlic (think botulism) and EVOO (can impart a nasty metallic taste). I generally just dry brine then rinse thoroughly before SV.

A chef friend of mine refuses to use SV in his restaurant because herbs, spices, etc., sometimes behave in weird ways during a long SV "bath" ... which is why I generally SV meats "naked" (other than brining/rinsing them first), then season just before searing.

Also remember that SV is an extractive process; you'll find plenty of "purge" liquid in the bag after SV that can be strained and used as the base for some pretty good sauce/gravy.

Keep food safety in mind for every cook! Here's a link to a great article by one of our Pit members: http://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        I follow pretty much the same approach. Flavor it afterwards. You're going to do some kind of finishing step almost no matter what.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here