Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

She is a keeper.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

She is a keeper.

My wife bought me a Anova for Christmas. what is your favorite recipe ?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1270.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	608472

As good as ribeye or tenderloin steak is out of the Anova, my favorite is turning a tougher cut of meat into a tender, delicious cut. Think flank steak or eye of round roast.

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      That's my take as well. Get some piece that's always tough and try it out. How about sirloin tips?

• randy56
      randy56 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, doing some reading on the Anova web site. Looking like reverse sear is the way on steaks. Just looking for ideas. As I know many of you have great results.

QVQ Chuck roast

Comment

SV cinnamon apples. So easy and good. Don’t forget homemade yogurt. And all the meats too!

Comment

The biggest "SV" revelation for me was chicken breasts, pork chops, and the best dang medium-rare steakhouse burger you've ever had. And lots of other stuff, too!

Comment

• Skip
        Skip commented
        Editing a comment
        What CaptainMike just posted!!

In addition to what's already been said - poached pears

Ingredients
      • 4 ripe pears, peeled. Preferably Bosc
      • 1 cup red wine
      • ½ cup sugar
      • ¼ cup sweet vermouth
      • 1 tsp salt
      • Orange zest - Amount depends on how you zest. Call somewhere between 1-2 tsp
      • 1 tsp vanilla extract or one vanilla bean, scraped
      • Vanilla ice cream
      1. Place everything into a zip bag, water displace and seal
      2. Cook for 1 hour @ 175° F
      3. After they're done, core and slice the pears.
      4. Serve with vanilla ice cream and drizzle with some of the liquid

Comment

Have only used mine a couple times but everything has been great so far for sure. Wanting to try a brisket.

Comment

Sous Vide and seared Tri-tip steak smothered in sauteed onions and mushrooms.

Creme Brulee for dessert.

Comment

Soft boiled eggs 145 for 1:30 hrs 18 at a time de shell and re heat in microwave 45 secnds two English muffin ever morning 🤓

Comment

My favorite is the two week pastrami.

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...vq-pastrami”

Other things I like are chicken cooked safe to 135F long enough to be pasteurized, then chilled, breaded and deep fried. Since the interior is below 140F it’s the juiciest fried chicken ever and since all you need to do is brown the outside, you can fry at 375-400F oil and it takes just a minute or so.

Of course any kind of traditional steak that you would reverse sear works great for SV. SV for steaks is nothing more that an extreme reverse sear.

SV magic is threefold.
              1. You can cook at lower temps for much longer times to tenderize tough cuts without making them "well done"
              2. You can cook at lower temps for longer time to pasteurize foods and make them safe at much lower temperature than traditional methods. (You can pasteurize your own eggs for instance, then eat them as runny as you want or make hollandaise etc).
              3. Since you typically set the water bath to the finished internal temperature you want, you cannot overcook (though you can over-tenderize). It’s pretty easy to catch a non-moving temperature target.

Combinations of the above also allow you to make things days ahead of time and finish them quickly when needed.

Comment

• EdF
                EdF commented
                Editing a comment
                randy56 - you can use fresh or frozen. You can even SV the frozen straight out of the freezer, adding about an hour to the bath time.

• PaulstheRibList
                PaulstheRibList commented
                Editing a comment
                Is there a good read somewhere on the data as to how long to keep meats at a certain temp to make them safe from bacteria? How long does poultry need to be at 145 for it to be safe, for example?

• Polarbear777
                Polarbear777 commented
                Editing a comment
                I use an app called sous vide toolbox by polyscience (formerly sous vide dash). It calculates how long the heat takes to raise the internal temperature and then applies the usda pasteurization curves. I’m sure there are other apps.

You can also use the pasteurization tables/curves, but they apply starting AFTER the food reaches the target temperature.

Check out serious eats for Kenjis guide to egg temperatures. There’s lots of cool stuff you can do that can’t be accomplished any other way.

I don’t think fresh or frozen matters all that much if it was frozen correctly and kept that way. I sometimes vacuum bag and seal and freeze and then just drop the frozen bags in the water bath and go extra time.

For the chicken I was inspired by:

ChefSteps is here to make cooking more fun. Get recipes, tips, and videos that show the whys behind the hows for sous vide, grilling, baking, and more.

Comment

We do frozen CB's all of the time, just ad an hour.

Comment

Anybody tried peanut butter? Or maybe oatmeal? ✌️ 😎

Comment

• tbob4
                    tbob4 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That's just plain silly. Everyone knows peanut butter goes into a pressure cooker!

I have had the Anova since the WiFi model first came out. I was much more fortunate than the Meater folks. I was on a waiting list for release and got it well before I anticipated it. I can't tell you a single thing it is best at that has not been mentioned. It really becomes a matter of taste and experimentation. Like CaptainMike said - the best medium rare thick burgers you could imagine. Stuffed burgers are fabulous with it. However, sometimes I feel like a good old fashioned smashed burger. You will find the same thing. Troutman did a great write-up on the differences between a SV'd brisket and a smoked brisket. In his estimation (forgive me Troutman if my conclusion is wrong) both were very good meals with significant differences. Have fun!!!

edit: Troutman's write-up: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...f-two-briskies

Comment

• EdF
                    EdF commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yep, one tool among many!

And last but not least is vegetables. I think SV'd is the best way to cook them, it retains all the natural flavors and juices that are traditionally lost in conventional cooking methods. Tons of great veggie recipes out there, I use many from Kenji's The Food Lab ....

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here