Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Joule just crapped out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Joule just crapped out

My Joule has been acting dodgy the last week or so. When bringing up to temp I would get a "not circulating" error message. Sometimes a restart would get me back on track and sometimes I was fresh out of luck.

The last crash (yesterday) I tried all the fixes that Juele suggested but no luck. I emailed their help desk and was informed that I would hear back from them in 24 hours as it was after hours. In less than 5 minutes I got a reply from Neil who indicated that based on the info I provided it sounded like my device was toast and they were going to send out a new one. I received confirmation that it is on my way about 2 hours ago.

Outstanding customer service. Thanks!

Being without the Juele forced me to reverse sear a NY strip on the gasser tonight. The steak turned out great but man I was back and forth checking on temps for about an hour. I guess the Juele has made me lazy, and I like it.

How you have suffered...

Comment

• rodkeary
      rodkeary commented
      Editing a comment
      Exactly. Beer put down, beer picked up...........

I never had to worry about that when the beef was in the bath.

#firstworldproblems.

Comment

• Nate
      Nate commented
      Editing a comment
      Beat me to it.

Oh shoot, life is tough when ya have ta cook. Gimme Fire! 🔥 💭 👍

Comment

Glad they're going to take care of you, man! I've got two of them and have never had a single issue, they've been literally perfect. Also another cheap one I picked up called a Sansaire. It's bulky but definitely simple.

How old was your Joule? Mine are both out of warranty, I am quite sure. I've had 'em a couple years. Spent the money on joining their club, but I've never really been to their site but a couple times, I think.

Comment

• rodkeary
        rodkeary commented
        Editing a comment
        I’ve had my Juele for about 18-20 months. I recently picked up an Instant Pot SV for $60 bucks which although very basic gets the job done. I’m away on holiday and only brought the Joule with me. I’ll have a new one waiting for me when I get back.

I love good customer service stories.

Comment

I had exactly the same experience with my Joule, except that I had the Nomiku as a backup, so didn't have to be deprived of SV.

I had preordered my Joule, and was one of the earliest adopters, so I'm not sure about warranty, but they made it very easy to obtain a replacement once I did the suggested activities (clean junk out of the prop, run with a vinegar solution to remove scale)... my new one, I do the vinegar clean every few months, just to stay ahead of the hard water scale.

Comment

• rodkeary
          rodkeary commented
          Editing a comment
          Sadly ironic in my case. 2 person/2 SV household yet here I am in a rented condo without the use of one. Back to cooking old school I guess. No real reason to complain as I do have a very nice gasser to use.

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          They’ll have you back and soaking soon enough.

I just had the exact problem start up on my Joule that rodkeary reported in December. Followed all the recommended troubleshooting and still no luck. Just reported the issue to Chef Steps. Sure hope I get the same prompt response!

Originally posted by rodkeary View Post
        My Joule has been acting dodgy the last week or so. When bringing up to temp I would get a "not circulating" error message. Sometimes a restart would get me back on track and sometimes I was fresh out of luck.

The last crash (yesterday) I tried all the fixes that Juele suggested but no luck. I emailed their help desk and was informed that I would hear back from them in 24 hours as it was after hours. In less than 5 minutes I got a reply from Neil who indicated that based on the info I provided it sounded like my device was toast and they were going to send out a new one. I received confirmation that it is on my way about 2 hours ago.

Being without the Juele forced me to reverse sear a NY strip on the gasser tonight. The steak turned out great but man I was back and forth checking on temps for about an hour. I guess the Juele has made me lazy, and I like it.

Comment

Just contacted Chef Steps and they also were very prompt with their reply despite it being the weekend. And they also said they want to initiate getting me a replacement, so they must be familiar with this problem. Unfortunately, because I purchased by Joule from Amazon, I have to initiate the exchange request with Amazon Customer Service. Time to go down the rabbit hole, I guess. Stay tuned!

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Best of Luck!

Good to hear they took care of you.

Comment

Good customer service equals loyal customers. You would think all business would know this.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Seems simple enough, don't it?

Climbing back out of the Amazon rabbit hole..... As I probably should have expected, all amazon CS would do for me was to send me a return label for the Joule and offer to refund my purchase price. I would then be welcome to order a new one from them. Not quite in the spirit of Chef Steps' willingness to replace the one I have. The added problem is that I originally purchased the Joule from amazon during prime days and got a $40 discount. Of course amazon will only refund the sale price. So I'll have to shell out another $35 to get my "replacement."

Hope to interact with Chef Steps on Monday to see if they can make this right.... To be continued.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Hopin this ends up right, Brother!

• theroc
              theroc commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Mr. Bones.

Great development. After hearing about the debacle with amazon, Hannah at ChefSteps immediately informed me that would ship out a replacement unit.

I wholeheartedly second what rodkeary said about ChefSteps' outstanding customer service. They rock!

Comment

• rodkeary
              rodkeary commented
              Editing a comment
              Brilliant. Chefsteps certainly "get it" when it comes to customer service. Very glad to hear you got things sorted.

Originally posted by rodkeary View Post

I had the exact same issue and response. Great customer service but it is only good dependent on whom you purchased it from originally. Either direct from them or Amazon. All others are not covered the same..

Comment

I have an Anova 900w with wifi. Bulkier than the Joule for sure, but I have never had a single issue with it....

I was thinking about getting a Joule someday.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here