Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Required tools for Sous Vide -Q

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Required tools for Sous Vide -Q

What all do you have to have to use the Sous Vide technique? What should I buy?

Nice sized tub with lid. Similar to the one below.

https://www.amazon.com/Perfect-SousV...ainer+with+lid

Comment

• JCBBQ
      JCBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Probably good if you’re cooking but g pieces of meat. I’ve made out fine w pots and then the occasional large hunk in the cooler

What Jerod said. I have a couple of Lipavis and they are really nice. If you're space challenged or just don't want to add some specialty item simply use a suitable pot, they work just fine. An ice chest such as the Coleman Party Stacker works really well too, and some have modified the lids to accommodate their SV circ. If you buy a dedicated SV tub make sure to get the lid that matches your unit.

Comment

What about the circulator, or a vacuum sealer?

Comment

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        I have the Anova and Foodsaver and they work just fine. A lot of folks here like the Joule, and there are a few more choices for vac-sealers. I think EdF has given a great review of his, though I don't recall the brand. Check the reviews on the free side of AR.

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        Anova (think it has Bluetooth and never use the Blue) Foodsaver as well. CaptainMike copied me....I think

These are the three items I use - somehow I got the Gramercy for $32.50 on a special Amazon deal. These three fit perfectly together and the Gramercy is very high quality and easy to use (if you don't need wifi/bluetooth). This setup seems to work out great for something the size of a whole chicken and below. If you want to do bigger, just upsize the Cambro and lid.

Comment

1. Sous vide circulator
      2. Grill capable of reaching very high heat for rapid searing

OPTIONAL: vacuum sealing thingie. If you don’t have one a regular ziplock bag and a pot of water will do (place food in the bag, dunk bag to displace air, when as much air as is possible is displaced without water entering seal the bag).

Comment

Start with a Joule sous vide unit. More power, sleek, great app that makes every cook virtually idiot-proof. Not that any of us are idiots, but you know what I mean.

For accessories, Lipavi is such a nice product. I have these:

I use them all. All the time. Can't go wrong with the quality of Lipavi, IMO.

Kathryn

Comment

Besides a sous vide machine, the only thing your really need is a large enough pot. I mostly use a big stock pot but also have some big plastic containers to use if needed.

As far as vacuum sealer, that depends. I tend to only use on long cooks (overnight). If it’s a steak or chicken that is cooking for a few hours, I may not even seal it up and just clip to the side of the pan. If I’m cooking overnight or longer, I’ll generally vacuum seal.

Comment

I almost never use a vacuum sealer with sous vide, which is counterintuitive to its name. Oh well.

Kathryn

Comment

I have the Joule and really like it. I don't have a vacuum sealer I use zip locks.

I use the rubbermaid container and an insulating sleeve. I always fill it with hot water to speed up the heating process,

Comment

It seems I made different choices than most. I went with Rubbermaid instead of Lipavi

And I chose balls instead of a lid

Comment

• ddmcwhirter
                  ddmcwhirter commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Well...that did it! Just ordered both of those and the Anova. Also an insulation sleeve. "To Meg, with love, Merry Christmas! Daniel"

• EdF
                  EdF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  fzxdoc - I haven't found them to need real cleaning, possible because I've never had a bag leak. They come in a net bag, so I just dump them back in, run hot tap water over it, and hang it on the faucet to dry.

• fzxdoc
                  fzxdoc commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Cool beans, aladdin4d and EdF . Good to know those sous vide plastic balls can be easily cleaned. I must admit I like the look of them, piled up on the water surface.

Kathryn

Very pleased with this setup...

-Anova circulator. Decided on this vs. Joule simply due to the fact you can use it stand alone, without a phone.
                -Food saver vac sealer. A lot nicer units out there, but this has served its purpose well for me.
                -I hacked a Coleman Party Stacker cooler to get a large, insulated SV container at a great cost point.
                -Ikea's stainless steel expandable dish drying rack to hold down floaters.

Here's a great thread, and you'll see the cooler hack at post #10...

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...ooking-vessels.

Comment

My best use for SV & results have come with QVQ. Lots of steps involved so (if possible) think big container and freezing leftovers. Just another good reason to get a Foodsaver.

I have the Gamesaver for now but someday will drop for a chamber sealer. You'll also need a good sized cooler to shock the meat (insta-cool on ice).

Last edited by Larry Grover; December 10, 2018, 08:54 AM.

Comment

I suggest you also get one of these, I reached into a 185* bath without thinking over the weekend and thought my hand was on fire.....

Comment

• Polarbear777
                      Polarbear777 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Been there... I usually have it running at 135 and grab by hand, except when I forget I’m cooking higher.

• EdF
                      EdF commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I made a similar mistake - once!

Had a few foodsavers and with the volume they all failed or became unreliable (50% success vacuuming and sealing a bag was getting annoying).

I went chamber and won’t look back. Hundreds and hundreds of bags with only a couple failures from overfilling the bags.

I use the sealer for freezing bulk bought foods, SV, QVQ, soups, and of course for all the leftovers so the chamber vac gets a workout.

You can seal water bags to make ice packs or to heat up in the water bath and put in a faux cambro to keep things warm for holding/transporting.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here