Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

looking for first cirulator sous vide--anovo or anovo mini or joule?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You're going to love that Joule, Jon Liebers . I even take mine when we travel to visit the kids because they love sous vide steaks, breakfast egg cups (like Starbucks), etc. I bought a second Joule so I could do meat and veggies at the same time (different pots). Then I bought one for one of our daughters. She loves it for salmon especially. This Xmas our other daughter is getting one from us. So the whole famdamily will be sous viding on Joules. And now my Joules can stay at home.

That Joule app is the best thing since sliced bread. All the times, temps, and recipes are literally at your fingertips. No brainer. No worries with running it from my smartphone or iPad. In fact I prefer it that way. I can see what's going on with it wherever I am.

BTW, Joule was running an Xmas special. Don't know if it's still in effect.

Have fun with your Joule when it arrives.

Kathryn

Comment

• Jon Liebers
      Jon Liebers commented
      Editing a comment
      oh I know I don't "need it" just wondering if those that have it find it very useful or not.

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      Once you have it, it’s hard to tell if a recipe is only for premium or not. The courses are generally premium content, but I haven’t looked at one of those in a while.

• Jon Liebers
      Jon Liebers commented
      Editing a comment
      you are so right. Been loving the Joule!

Have the Joule, never experienced any other one as that was the one I ordered from recommendation from a chef (close personal friend)…. great success, did the job fantastic!

Comment

I have the Anovo. Very pleased.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainMike View Post
        My only experience is with the Anova and it is a fine, easy to use appliance that gets used 2-3 times a week. We have 2 and will likely get a third for the RV. A regular 'ol soup pot works great as a SV vessel, but I recently upgraded to a couple of Lipavi SV containers w/lids. It's simply a cleaner process and negates any evaporation issues.
        Could you elaborate?

Comment

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          On what, Mark, the Anova, the vessels, or the SV process? I'm a believer and I'd love to share my experiences.

Saw you went with Joule. I've had mine for over a year. Works great. I went with it because of power and Cooks Illustrated Recommendation.

Comment

When shopping for a circulator I was stuck between the Joule and the Anova as I believed they both are very good units. I ended up getting the Joule for these reasons. Smaller, more wattage, magnetic foot and USA built and ChefSteps is a local company (Seattle Washington). No regrets. A few weeks ago I did have a failure. I contacted ChefSteps, went through the troubleshooting steps, they determined it was bad and sent me a new one free of charge even though I purchased it through Amazon. Customer service is among the best I've ever had. So my insignificant vote is for Joule but Anova is a winner also.

Comment

I'm happy with the Joule but my wife's new insta pot thing has a sous vide mode that worked great for some spare ribs.

Comment

My Anova is a totally acceptable piece of equipment. To me the Joule is utterly useless as I don't want to play with a "phone".

I was also gifted a Slaiya, came with vacuum bags, clips, and hand pump for ~$60. Conveniently, it also has a nifty twentieth century device called an on-off switch. It also works just fine for my purposes.

Comment

Originally posted by johnec00 View Post
                My Anova is a totally acceptable piece of equipment. To me the Joule is utterly useless as I don't want to play with a "phone".

I was also gifted a Slaiya, came with vacuum bags, clips, and hand pump for ~$60. Conveniently, it also has a nifty twentieth century device called an on-off switch. It also works just fine for my purposes.
                So let me get this right. Because you don't want to mess with your phone the Joule is useless?

Comment

• johnec00
                  johnec00 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  My post said useless to me, the Joule only works with a "smart phone" . . . Don't have a "smart phone", don't want one, and certainly have no use for a kitchen appliance that can only be operated with one.

• EdF
                  EdF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Personally, this is why I prefer the Anovas. I have a hand tremor and like the idea of manual controls over using the phone. But really, it's a personal thing. Both are fine brands.

I have a Sansaire & Joule but default to the Joule. I love the wifi and use it concurrently with my ThermaQ Blue which is on the BGE so I can monitor two separate cooks with one device.

Comment

I only have 1, and haven't had others so I can't compare 1 being better. I have the Anova 800W with Bluetooth. I like that the unit has its own controls and isn't dependent on an app, but can still be used & controlled with an app. Personally I don't like the idea of something that HAS to be run with an app, but that's me. I also won't buy a BluRay player or TV that doens't have its own buttons, what if I lose the remote? Same deal in my mind.

Comment

Any other brands worth considering? When I search it on Amazon, I get a lot of Gourmia, ChefSteps, and Wancle in the results.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
                      Potkettleblack commented
                      Editing a comment
                      ChefSteps is the Joule.
                      Gourmia and Wancle are, IIRC, Chinese companies that have basically stolen designs from Anova, Nomiku and Sansaire. But I think they are functional devices that work acceptably. But Anova and Joule are the market leaders.

• Potkettleblack
                      Potkettleblack commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I will say this: Given the price of the Wancle, I'd just get an Anova on sale. The Gourmia stick is offered at a remarkable price.

• Murdy
                      Murdy commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks for the reply. We were looking at dehydrators to give as a gift before Christmas, and ran across Gourmia for the first time. Never heard of it, but it reviewed well, as I recall. Ended up going with a Magic Mill, though.

It would seem that the Instant Pot folks have jumped into the sous vide game, too: https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-S...stant+pot+sous

Comment

• Potkettleblack
                      Potkettleblack commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I feel like Breville will be jumping on the bandwagon any minute now.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here