Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

looking for first cirulator sous vide--anovo or anovo mini or joule?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

looking for first cirulator sous vide--anovo or anovo mini or joule?

can you guys recommend a sous vide for newbie?

Regular Anova has done great for me for 2+ years.

Comment

I agree, the regular Anova is the best bang for the buck. Reliable and gets the job done, I’ve used it on full packer brisket and everything in between. If you look around you can find them as inexpensive as $99.

The Joule is also a good choice but a bit more expensive, not sure that’s justified. Down side is you have to operate it from a smart device, while the Anova functions both manually and from your smartphone.

Comment

• Jon Liebers
        Jon Liebers commented
        Editing a comment
        anova mini is just $65

My only experience is with the Anova and it is a fine, easy to use appliance that gets used 2-3 times a week. We have 2 and will likely get a third for the RV. A regular 'ol soup pot works great as a SV vessel, but I recently upgraded to a couple of Lipavi SV containers w/lids. It's simply a cleaner process and negates any evaporation issues.

Comment

• Jon Liebers
        Jon Liebers commented
        Editing a comment
        anova mini?

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        What Troutman said. You can do small cooks with a big appliance, but not the other way around. Like Troutman, I do briskets and pork butts with mine and I'm not sure a 'mini' would be efficient enough. That's purely anecdotal on my part, but I err on the side of bigger-is-better.

• JGo37
        JGo37 commented
        Editing a comment
        Take a look at my post, #13. If you're getting a 3rd sous vide device, that might work for you.

I would spend the extra few bucks and avoid the mini. You want flexibility unless you know you’re only going to do small baths.

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm with Troutman . I have no use for remote controls on this kind of device - it's pretty much set and forget.

Further, I've had a circulator since at least 2010. Just use pots you have around - we all do. Foil works well enough to deal with evaporation. Those little plastic balls you can get on Amazon work even better. Get something to weigh it down, or put a butter knife in the bag.

We have the Anova - regular, not mini - and it works great. Done beef ribs and steaks, going to do chicken breast next.

Comment

Joule is quieter, heats faster, smaller than the Anova, and has a cool magnetic foot.

Anova is less expensive, has a screen and a dial and goes on sale all the time.

both are quality devices that get the job done well.

I would avoid the mini.

Comment

• MBMorgan
          MBMorgan commented
          Editing a comment
          +1 re: avoiding the mini

Forget size and look at wattage. So basically:
        Joule = 1100 watts
        anova with Bluetooth and Wi-Fi = 900 watts
        anova Bluetooth only = 800 watts
        anova mini = 750 watts

more Watts is better. Water heats up faster and temperature remains more stable as the unit is able to heat at the same rate the water cools. Also you can heat a larger volume of water.

Also there is another. Instant Pot has a circulator that boasts 800 watts.

Personally I went with the 900 watt anova. It was an amazon prime days deal, so I just ordered it. I don’t use (or even want) the Bluetooth/Wi-Fi functions, it is easier to just manually set it. But it works well.

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          1100 watts is nice. But starting with hot tap water takes care of it too.

• klflowers
          klflowers commented
          Editing a comment
          I got mine on prime day too - 30 bucks.

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          Hot tap water has run through city pipes and your hot water heater. I don’t cook with hot tap, but Sous Vide yeah, and I descale with vinegar solution every few months.

The big difference is when you’re going to 160+. Joule just gets the same vessel there faster than my Nomiku. But vessel makes a difference too.

I have the Joule and I love it. I love the pre loaded temps, times and recipes. It is also much smaller so it can be stored much easier. More power in a smaller package.

I have used the Anova and that is very solid unit as well. I went with the Joule because of it has more power, an app and its compact size makes it a better fit for me.

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          I had the same decision to make, and I went with the Joule. Jon Liebers Both work fine. But I liked the Joule better for the reasons above. I think you get more with the Joule, in a better package.

• mrteddyprincess
          mrteddyprincess commented
          Editing a comment
          I went with the Joule as well because of the 1100 W power. I am not disappointed, but that's just one sided input because it's the only sous vide I've ever cooked with.

• Jon Liebers
          Jon Liebers commented
          Editing a comment
          joule it is! now just need to decide between the field no 8 and the smithey No 10

Ditto for me and Joule. I purchased it on impulse after seeing a demo, I had not yet heard of the Anova. Though the wifi can be fiddly, once it starts, it operates flawlessly. The Chef Steps app is great and well laid out. The recipes are easy to follow and always turn out perfect. It's just the two of us and I smoke items, divide into portions and freeze for later. A sous vide is perfect for reheating frozen items without recooking them.

Comment

Buy a PolyScience. Best out there.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
            Potkettleblack commented
            Editing a comment
            Joule is the same power and much smaller. And way less spendy. The Polyscience probably holds temp better. To a level that isn’t necessary for cooking.

• Jon Liebers
            Jon Liebers commented
            Editing a comment
            too much$$$ for something I don't know how much use it will even get

• RainKing
            RainKing commented
            Editing a comment
            I never said it was cheap. It is incredibly accurate and I like that. The others are fine I’m sure but I’m a stickler for accuracy. I use mine all the time. It’s out at least once a week.

Buy the one thats on sale when you are looking. You'll be happy either way. I bought the joule during a sale and like it. As you can see above people with the anova are happy. Having to run it from a smart phone / tablet limits it usefulness to others but my wife doesnt want to use it anyway. She just wants the end result.

Comment

Remember you are going to need other stuff, with the same style decisions to make.

You're going to need bags. You can get Sous Vide bag sets that come with a plastic pump, or you can get a vacuum sealer and rolls of sealer bag material. The latter is more versatile. A NutriChef sealer on Amazon is ~ $ 60.00.

You'll be using containers for the bath. You can get one that is made for an Anova, use your existing pots, or make one. I like making one from a Coleman Stacker Cooler. The HOW TO is on this site in a thread.

The Ikea Pot Lid Organizer is the best bath rack - they should market it as that, not a pot lid thingy.

If you'll be using your own containers at the start, get the water balls to help maintain temp. They're cheap @ ~ $ 14.00.

If you want to start slow, and work up, you can consider a Sous Vide appliance at the Anova price point:

Click image for larger version  Name:	zinger.jpg Views:	1 Size:	56.6 KB ID:	603585
            This guy works well if you think someday you'll be doing two Sous Vide cooks simultaneously, one big with a device, one smaller and quicker with this.

Have Fun!

Comment

Joule ordered, Rubbermaid 12q container, clips, etc. Thanks all.

Comment

I've only had a Joule, and it is fantastic. Not hating on other options, but I could easily recommend the Joule.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here