Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone own the Anova Sous Vide immersion circulator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone own the Anova Sous Vide immersion circulator?

I have been playing around with the sous vide method of cooking meats and saw this stick device online which would make for a very inexpensive way to get into this method of cooking. I have been doing sous vide cooking on the stove top which requires a good deal of babysitting and with some of the longer cooking times it is a bit impractical, so I was wondering if anyone had some experience with this unit.

Ernest does. I'm sure he will chime in. I am planning on getting one from my upcoming 60th birthday in April.

You can see Ernest's threat here:

Comment

This is high on my "next purchase" list.

Comment

I have been doing Sous Vide with a commercial water bath and an Auber temperature controller. It keeps the temperature dead on. I am waiting for a Wi-Fi Nomiku Sous Vide circulator which is similar to the Anova model. I am attaching a pic of my setup. Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-10-26 17.12.34.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	54911

Last edited by HJVR; January 21, 2015, 03:03 PM.

Comment

• HJVR
          HJVR commented
          Editing a comment
          Here is a link for the new Nomiku:

• Dewesq55
          Dewesq55 commented
          Editing a comment
          It appears that you can pre-order the new one, for delivery in several months from now for the same cost as the Anova that I can have delivered in 2 days. I don't get what the Wi-Fi is all about.

• HJVR
          HJVR commented
          Editing a comment
          With the wifi you can change temps with your smart phone etc. The wifi isn't that important to me, they made it more powerful, turned the dial away from the cooking vessel. And yes it is the same price as the anova which I was considering. It is the next generation with improvements.

I am attaching a pic of the first steak I did by Sous Vide, it is a rare sirloin steak which was almost as tender as a filet mignon. Connective tissue breaks down at 131 degrees. I cooked the steak for 2.5 hours at 134 degrees (I like it rare).
        We finished it in a screaming hot cast iron frying pan.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-10-26 18.21.39.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	54915

Comment

Yes, I do. It is "sous viding" up some experimental baby backs as I type. It's a fantastic piece of thingy.
          It is dead simple to use, very convenient.
          Last edited by Ernest; January 21, 2015, 03:14 PM.

Comment

Sous Vide Baby Backs. I could see where that might turn out very, very well.

Comment

• mgaretz
              mgaretz commented
              Editing a comment
              I've done sous vide baby backs. Tender and falling off the bone, as they do when you make them in a crockpot, but I and my family prefer them smoked.

• Ernest
              Ernest commented
              Editing a comment
              Trust me I'll smoke them before serving. As we all know cold meats attract smoke.
              These will be refrigerated over night then placed on indirect heat grill with smoke while they warm up then flamed.

please post some pics of the baby backs, Ernest. How many hours are you aiming for?

Comment

OG, I'll get a thread with the whole process. I'm shooting for 48 hours at 145 degrees.

Comment

Thank you all for the feedback! I saw a video where they placed a beef brisket in sous Vide for 48 hours at 135 then hit it on the grill with some quick smoke and it was tender at medium rare.

Comment

I received one for Christmas. I've done chicken, tri- tip, & sausage so far. Works great at holding the temp. Mine is about .5 degrees different from my calibrated thermapen. I have yet to smoke something and then use the cooker though. Attached is the tri-tip. I finished it on cast iron
                  Attached Files

Comment

Mine just came in this afternoon. Went out and bought a Filet Mignon for a trial. I'll post all about it later!

Comment

I have one and love it. Steaks are incredible and I can make my wife's Med and mine Med-rare, done the same time in the same pot. Asparagus is amazing! I recommend shaving off the tough skin on the med. to large stems. If cooking with the steaks you may want to nuke them in the bag for 10-15 seconds before service. Mashed potatoes were awesome but seems a bit overkill as the potatoes take a long time to get to mashing softness.

Good thing is meats do not overcook so timing of the meal is easy as long as you start early enough. My first meals ended up way late because I kept forgetting the long cook times.

Makes game meat tender and juicy. Wild boar!

Hint: cut the salt or no salt. The salt stays in the meat and works 100% of the cook time. No oil. Put fresh or dried seasoning on the meat. Oil stops the adsorption of the flavors. I use dried ground Porcini and fresh herbs.

I’m loving it!

Scoobs

Comment

• Strat50
                        Strat50 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Dried porcini and steak go so well together, don't you think? Porcinis (Boletus) grow wild here in Alaska, and we look forward to the early fall to harvest them. I'm originally from the Twin Cities and remember my grandparents gathering them for a few sunday dinners. Good times...

I just got mine and will try it out. I've been using a homemade ghetto version: $15 temperature controller from Amazon, 12 qt square tub from the restaurant supply, $5, aquarium bubbler for circulation $11, immersible mug heater $7, and some random Legos to make a bottom grid with holders to separate packages. Works fine for $40, but thought I'd treat myself to an upgrade now that I know I like it, or when I want two different temps for one meal. IMHO, don't run out and by an expensive tender steak; the leaner, cheaper ones actually come out better. On the other hand, I'm still not happy with my pork chops: still tough and dry.

Comment

• Dr ROK
                        Dr ROK commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Can tell me what kind of temp controller you used? I'm still in the poor mans version.

• Ernest
                        Ernest commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I just did my second pork chop cook. First attempt wasn't impressive. Second one was better. But I think pork loin chops are just too lean.

• Doc Hazard
                        Doc Hazard commented
                        Editing a comment
                        You can search Amazon for temperature controller, Mine was similar to the Docooler® Digital Temperature Controller Thermocouple with Sensor (-58~194°F). When I bought they only had C versions, but now for a bit more, you can get deg F. Now it's about $16, and you need an extension cord to cut up and wire in to power and what you want to control. It fits really nice in a deep double gang box from HD, with a duplex socket below for the controlled item(s). It also will control cooling. I have 3 of them.

I just ordered the new model from their website. They have a special going with a $25 off coupon on the main page. I had pulled the trigger on the older model on Amazon for $199 before I stumbled on the Anova website where the NEW model is also $199 - yet you also get the $25 off and free shipping.

Can't wait to try it out. I am experimenting with Sous Vide right now with a pork chop in my crock pot. The water is 136F and I will leave it in for 4.5 hours then sear in a cast iron pan.

Comment

• PenskeFile
                        PenskeFile commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Correction: the new model (Anova Precision Cooker) is $179 before the $25 off. After taxes, I paid $167

• Ernest
                        Ernest commented
                        Editing a comment
                        You'll love it. I actually take mine on the road, cook in hotel room.

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here