Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous-Vide Chuckie question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sous-Vide Chuckie question

If I was going for pulled beef from a chuckie what temp would I Sous-Vide it at.

Thinking of smoking it for three hours before and 3 hours after.

My thought are to Sous-Vide it at 160 for about 36 hours.

Do do you think this would work?

Thanks

Steve

I’ve only done pulled chuck once, and I had it soak at 183* for 22 hours after a 3-4 hour smoke with the SnS. It turned out great!

Im sure the resident SV guys will chip in with other ways as well.

Comment

I usually go 135 for 72 hours, because I want to retain as much moisture as possible at med-rare, but 165 for shorter time may work. Still thinking about how to generate an empirical curve for tenderness equivalency with time and temp set as variables so you could convert recipes.

You'll have to go by feel to see when it is tender enough.

Most importantly you don't want to smoke or roast on either end of the SV process any higher than your SV temp, or you've negated most of the advantage of SV.

QVQ chuckie. I tried chuckies several times and was always disappointed. Too dry. I wrapped earlier and it was good, but basically a pot roast. After hearing

Comment

I took a different approach recently. Like Polarbear777 I like a more medium rare finish to my chuck. I also like that it retains not only moisture but has a steak like feel to the finished texture. Therefore I normally don't go that long in the bath. I did one recently at 132* for about 40 hours. Prior to that I smoked it until it reached 115* internal, bathed it then did a post smoke until it got back up to about 131-132* internal. Chef Steps talks about as low as 24 hours. I really think the longer you go the textures begin to change and the meat takes on too spongy a feel to me.

Sounds to me like your 36 hour window at 160* along with the pre and post smoke would be a good strategy. As Polar said, you may want to do the pinch test to see if you are happy with the result. Perhaps Potkettleblack can chime in.

Last week I believe it was Mosca who posted an article praising the laurels of sous vide que chuck roast. The writer went on to say he thought it was as good or better than 70% of the

Comment

For pulled beef I don't see any advantage to SV. Just smoke it until it gets to 203F internal. Now if you want your chuck to be like prime rib, that's a different story! I've done up to 48 hours but didn't see any significant difference between 48 and 24 hours, so now I just do 24 hours at about 130F, then a good sear and slice. You'll get prime rib texture with the flavor of chuck and cost of chuck. They key is to slice it properly (against the grain), and that means separating the muscles and slicing them independently, because the grain runs in different directions.

Comment

• Polarbear777
            Polarbear777 commented
            Editing a comment
            Advantage is it pretty much can’t be dry.
            You don’t cook the meat fibers to the point where they lose all their moisture (well done) and the longer time takes care of collagen conversion. Bag saves every drop of juice.

However I sometimes just do a pan under a chuck for this because I don’t feel like waiting and that turns out good.

I am really looking for a pulled beef. I do not want to slice. Just wasn’t sure what temp to get it to be able to pull. I know doing on a smoker you need to take it to about 200 to be able to pull but I wasn’t sure what temp it had to get to in the SV to pull.

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            18-24 hours at 176F

Or from @PotKettleBlack: 165 x 18-24h for pulled texture

155x24 or 165x18. Times approximate, pinch for confirmation, don't be surprised if you have to go another 8-12 longer.

The advantage to doing one SV is that you can generally retain a bit more moisture, and develop the purge, which you can add to the chuckie when you wrap. Also, it goes faster on the smoker.

I have no problem doing one at 135x72, then smoking to 160 or so, and then crutching to 200 or so. The collagen breakdown that I've accomplished in SV will not be undone by overshooting my SV temp by 65 degrees. The don't overshoot your SV temp really only applies for short cooks on tender meats. For long cooks, you can't really undo the long sous vide, without abusing it more than you would a raw chunk.

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Wait a minute. If I know I'm going to overshoot and go higher, why wouldn't I bath higher in the first place because it takes less time??

• Polarbear777
            Polarbear777 commented
            Editing a comment
            You won’t undo the collagen breakdown but you can cook the meat fibers more than necessary and get well done meat fibers. How much that matters to a pulled finish may be small.

• Potkettleblack
            Potkettleblack commented
            Editing a comment
            You always start with the end in mind. My cook schedule has me start long sous vide on Saturday or Sunday for finishing next week. I conserve more liquid in the meat by SV lower and longer. And if I’m pulling, I want a firmer cook on the smoker. What you do should always be led by what you want the end to be.

Originally posted by Polarbear777 View Post
          I usually go 135 for 72 hours, because I want to retain as much moisture as possible at med-rare, but 165 for shorter time may work.
          Still thinking about how to generate an empirical curve for tenderness equivalency with time and temp set as variables so you could convert recipes.
          You'll have to go by feel to see when it is tender enough.

Most importantly you don't want to smoke or roast on either end of the SV process any higher than your SV temp, or you've negated most of the advantage of SV.

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...s-vide-chuckie
          I love this site, even when I don't understand what is being said...

Comment

Can someone in the know please define the SV pinch test for me? I strive in all my cooks to be as precise as possible with cooking temperatures, times, and internal meat temperatures. Consequently, the pinch test seems rather subjective to me . . . .until I learn more about that. Thanks in advance for your help.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
              Potkettleblack commented
              Editing a comment
              You pull the bag out of the water. You pinch the meat. If it is tender like you want, it's done. If it's not, it needs more time.
              It is subjective. You have to know what you want the end result to be like.
              Sous vide times are not that precise, because every piece of meat was raised differently, and has different genes. So, you see a lot of 8-12 hours. That's not precision. Subjectivity enters

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              Guess it is a bit subjective (but no more than "probe tender"). If you pinch it and it "gives" you're done.

• RustyHaines
              RustyHaines commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks much for the advice on the "pinch test"

My main goal is to not have to monitor a cooker overnight and have moist flavorful pulled beef for a backyard cookout that starts about 3:00 PM on Sunday September 2nd.

I’m planning on making 8 racks of ribs in my smoke vault, 8 half chickens in my PBC and I’ll finish smoking and cooking my SVd Chuckies on my Weber Kettle with a SnS.

Comment

• klflowers
              klflowers commented
              Editing a comment
              3PM on the 2nd. On my way...

• Potkettleblack
              Potkettleblack commented
              Editing a comment
              So, here's the schedule then. Start the sous vide now. It's tuesday. 48 hours takes you to Thursday afternoon. If it's done then, you shock it all the way down, and stash it in the fridge until the day of the cook. You start it with the ribs on the SnS, and you should be fine, especially with a wrap.

@ssndy_56, For Optimum Pulling Temp The Meat Needs To Reach 200* - 205* F At Some Point In The Cook❗️ IMLTHOP, "LIKE THE OTHERS HAVE SAID OR INDICATED", You Have A Lot Of Variables On Your SV Temp And Times❗️ And You Can Add What Ever You Want To The SV Bag For Flavor (Onion), Moisture (Broth), ETC❓ The Main Thing Is To Bring The SV And Meat To A Safe Temp‼️ I Believe I'd Use 165* - 175* F For 22 HTS, Then Refridgerae For 12 - 24 HRS Before Smoking‼️ Note: It Will Take 4 - 5 HRS @ 250* 275* (Weber and S 'N S) To Bring The Meat To Pulling Temp❗️ Plan For It And A Hr Or Two You In The Faux Cambro And You Will Have A "WINNER"‼️
            From A Backyard Cremator In Fargo NC, Dan
            Last edited by Danjohnston949; August 14, 2018, 04:21 PM.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
              Potkettleblack commented
              Editing a comment
              Don’t add onion or broth to your Sous Vide bag. You don’t need extra moisture, and your uncooked onion has no need of beef flavoring.

• Danjohnston949
              Danjohnston949 commented
              Editing a comment
              Potkettleblack, I Think My Using Higher Temps And Shorter TimesWhen SV' Is Safer Than Some Of The Low And Slow Practices Some Seem To Prescribe❓ Whenever The SV Is Done, The Purge Is Immeditey Poured Off And Boiled Down‼️ Additional Herb, Spices, Thivkeners Are Added At This Time❗️ It Is Then Frozen As A Base For Future Sauces❗️ Dan

• Potkettleblack
              Potkettleblack commented
              Editing a comment
              More power to ya. Onion won’t break down under 180*, so there’s not really much point in doing the sous vee doux with them below 180. As to adding broth, makes a flavorful broth. I like to keep the flavor in the meat, along with the moisture, so never really go north of 155,

Here's a visual on the "pinch" test, a highly complicated and scientific matrix of needed information to master....

Comment

I happened to see my notes on the SV chuckie and I misspoke above, I Had the water temp at 165* for 22 hours.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here