Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SV Cooking Vessels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SV Cooking Vessels

I have the Joule by Chefsteps. It works great and I really like that it is so much smaller but as powerful as the competition. I'm in the market for a cooking vessel for larger cuts of meat or portions of ??? I would like to have one with the top cut out for the Joule to reside and have a tighter fit for less evaporation. Also I am having trouble determining the best size container to consider. I've done some research but get derailed when it comes to selecting a size. Any suggestions for the best all around vessel and size?

What's the biggest clod you SV? I'd take that measurement and add an inch or to to the dimensions. That should cover you for the larger cooks. I'd also get a smaller container for your average SV. I', thinking something the size of a brisket for the large size, and something that will hold some steaks of maybe a roast for the smaller container.

Comment

Go to Amazon, they have a pretty good assortment of large containers. I have a 26 quart polycarbonate model that will hold a medium size full packer brisket....

Lipavi Container

They also make a matching lid specifically for your Joule. Reduces evaporation to almost nothing on a long bath. There are also guys who have modified drink coolers for even larger needs, if you are handy that is. The Lapavi and Rubbermaid units have served me well, I highly recommend them.

Comment

Gents, I'm No Expert On Souix Veee Que Or Any Thing Else‼️ Let Me Share With You What To Have Used To SV Up To 4 - 8 1/2# Pork Butts With My Joule At A Time❗️
        From A Backyard Cremator In Fargo ND, Dan

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	588
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	548152Click image for larger version

Views:	635
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	548151Click image for larger version

Views:	629
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	548150Click image for larger version

Views:	629
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	548149

Comment

I take a different course. We have many sizes of pots around here, right up to a huge stockpot and a canning pressure cooker. So we pick whatever one is appropriate for a cook, and drop the little plastic spheres in to take care of the evaporation issue. We also have a metal rack to weigh down the packages. Both are available from Amazon.

Name:	20170324_192442.jpg
Views:	644
Size:	236.4 KB
ID:	548220

Comment

• Omega-Man
            Omega-Man commented
            Editing a comment
            I have that same stainless steel contraption but i always put it on the bottom and then placed my items in it. Sometimes they would float. But, your way is nothing short of genius! My new method!

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            TBH, my wife figured that out!

• JGo37
            JGo37 commented
            Editing a comment
            Not to mention Beer Pong while you're waiting!!

I have a Lipavi C-20 (26 quart) and the Lipavi C-10 (12 quart) with the cutout lids. My Joule works just fine with them. I use the smaller one when the round stockpot I have is just not the right dimension for sous vide for several steaks. The big one, as Troutman mentioned, can hold a few chuck roasts or a packer.

I also bought this Lipavi L10 Sous Vide Collapsible Rack. It's great!

Name:	91HGeL28NgL._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	651
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	548224

Name:	81vMvw0v52L._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	637
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	548225

Name:	41K7bVlqsRL.jpg
Views:	618
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	548226

Kathryn

Comment

• Hulagn1971
            Hulagn1971 commented
            Editing a comment
            I have this exact same setup. Works perfectly.

• Steve B
            Steve B commented
            Editing a comment
            Same here. Only I have an Anova. Love it.

Coleman Special

Name:	Coleman SV.jpg
Views:	591
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	548231

Comment

Thanks for the responses. I've managed to glean some information that will help me decide. It appears for my needs the C20 or 26 quart with lid and rack would be the best option. As shown in the posts stock pots work fine for the smaller cooks. Just need to get some of those ping pong balls.

Comment

• fzxdoc
              fzxdoc commented
              Editing a comment
              I just put plastic wrap on my stock pots for longer cooks. Works fine for me, but the balls do look pretty cool. For shorter cooks you don't need anything on top of the pot.

I love to use this container from Cambro. Then you can pair it with this lid and you have no evaporation on those really long cooks. All of the cambro containers have a universal opening. So this lid will work if you get a bigger or smaller container.

Comment

• treesmacker
              treesmacker commented
              Editing a comment
              I have the same Cambro container and would highly recommend it. I have similar lid, though not silicone.

This setup has worked very well for me... a modified 24-can Coleman "Party Stacker" cooler (I think it's the smaller version of Omega-Man's cooler in post #7 above):

1. Cut lid in half for easy access without having to remove the Anova to check contents of the cooler. Saw this done somewhere with hinges and a drain plug but decided I didn't really need them.
            2. Used a hole saw to make a cutout for a cable grommet that matches the diameter of Anova SV (2-3/8" for Anova, probably smaller size for Joule).
            3. I use the same stainless steel rack that EdF uses, inverted, in the cooler to hold down floaters.

At any one time, I can SV a "large" full packer brisket (maybe 2?), or multiple butts, or several racks of ribs. Latest cook was a whole tenderloin that fed about 15 people. Longest cook so far was 48 hours, and did not need to add any water during the cook.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20180814_103533.jpg Views:	1 Size:	433.0 KB ID:	548971Click image for larger version  Name:	20180814_104152.jpg Views:	1 Size:	453.7 KB ID:	548973Click image for larger version  Name:	20180814_103909.jpg Views:	1 Size:	600.4 KB ID:	548974Click image for larger version  Name:	20180814_103713.jpg Views:	1 Size:	555.9 KB ID:	548972
            Attached Files
            Last edited by BourBonQ; August 14, 2018, 05:42 PM.

Comment

• cgrover60
              cgrover60 commented
              Editing a comment
              I like this idea. I use a Coleman Party Stacker as a faux Cambro and could easily modify for dual use.

• jamin35008
              jamin35008 commented
              Editing a comment
              Love this! Thanks so much for posting! I have one of these coolers and just ordered everything to turn mine into a cooker! Thanks again!

• BourBonQ
              BourBonQ commented
              Editing a comment
              jamin35008 5 years and still works great, with fairly heavy use. The only thing I would do differently would be to cut the lid closer to the hole where the Anova sits, instead of exactly down the middle. Maybe even on an angle, so that I can remove more of the lid while the cooker stays in place. I'll do that on the next one!

What a great idea! Not overpoweringly large and perfectly functional. Thanks for posting this detailed hack. Dave

Comment

For the clear plastic tubs, look on Amazon for a a tub and a hinged lid with the cut out in the corner that fits either the Lapavi or the Rubbermaid tubs. Remember that lids are not necessarily interchangeable so get one for the tub you're interested in. The corner cutout makes so much more sense and increases the usable capacity of the cooker.

Comment

So, in the credit where due department, this is a pic of my wife. Refer to entry 5.4.

Name:	20161005_162554.jpg
Views:	558
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	551197

Comment

• tbob4
                  tbob4 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Awesome photo EdF! Where was that taken?

• EdF
                  EdF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Belfast Maine - a very nice town!

Just ordered this one based on a recommendation from a user that does big cooks..

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002NQB63E..._BfICBbT97XZCA

Comment

The Cambro 12qt with ping pong balls works for me. I also have a 18qt if needed. I also use a thermal blanket around the Cambro that I got from Amazon fresh, seems to work ok and keep the heat in

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here