Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joule connectivity issues - urban legend, or??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Joule connectivity issues - urban legend, or??

Not sure if this is still alive. I really like the idea of SV/BBQ cooking. I was looking at Joule on Amazon through your link. About 8% of the ratings were a 1 star. Of those that I read, they were complaining about connectivity/dropping issues with I think both WIFI and Bluetooth. What is the group’s experience with connectivity. I see that Chefs disowns any software issues in their warranty. I can understand this in a way due to the number of variables not in their control. Thoughts?

I've never had a connectivity issue with my Joule and it is probably used at least 4-5 times per week in our house.

Comment

• HiGradeSmoker
      HiGradeSmoker commented
      Editing a comment
      Rodkeary,
      How long have you owned your Joule?

• rodkeary
      rodkeary commented
      Editing a comment
      11 months.

Disowning software issues seems like a poor product decision to me (a product manager) when the remote is the only way to control it. Too bad. No direct experience with it BTW.

Comment

Mine works like a charm, and I use it a lot--a couple of times a week or so. No connectivity issues.

Kathryn
      Last edited by fzxdoc; June 24, 2018, 10:48 AM.

Comment

Same here, I use mine weekly, never had any connectivity issues, that I can remember anyway.

Comment

I guess a follow up question to my original is, How long have folks owned their Joule?

Comment

Since they were first released.

Comment

The correct answer is buy an Anova

Comment

• HiGradeSmoker
                HiGradeSmoker commented
                Editing a comment
                Hi Troutman,
                Please expand

• johnec00
                johnec00 commented
                Editing a comment
                +1 Troutman - mine has a little switch thingy right on the circulator for "on" and "off". Works first time every time. Oh, and costs half as much!

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                Exactly what johnec00 just said as the reason

There are so many variables in a persons specific home location and router setup that it is hard to predict whether a gizmo will have connectivity issues so I don't pay much attention to those sort of reviews.

On the other hand, if 90% of people had connectivity issues that might be good to know.

Comment

I've had a Joule for maybe 18 months, and I find connectivity to be poor using both wifi and bluetooth. My sous vide is set up in the garage, and if I'm in the garage connectivity is fine. If I go up to my office, second floor of my house, more or less directly above the garage, the connection unfailingly drops. This has no effect on the Joule itself, which just keeps on keeping on.

Whether this has something to do with my house, my particular Joule, my geospatial relationship to some cosmic vortex, or whatever, I have no idea. I use the Joule frequently, and it works just fine. But if connectivity is an important issue for you, caveat emptor.

Comment

• HiGradeSmoker
                  HiGradeSmoker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Keeps on keeping on is what counts. My concern was that it would forget what it was doing and shut down if it lost connectivity. Do you reconnect once you’re back in the garage or does it matter because it has been cooking for what ever time was required?

• Baltassar
                  Baltassar commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It seems to reconnect when you get back in range. I never let the Joule turn itself off -- I set a timer, and when time's up I go deal with it myself. The connectivity thing makes not difference to the food. It's just odd that something that is supposed to be cool and up-to-date works so poorly.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here