Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reverse searing steaks starting in the oven versus the sous vide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reverse searing steaks starting in the oven versus the sous vide

Before I got my sous vide about a year ago, I would reverse sear steaks, starting in the oven, and then finish on the cast iron. I put the steaks in the oven at about 250 degrees, and then pull them about 10 degrees early to sear. I know the pros with the sous vide (perfect temp and very hands off), but I'm looking for the cons of the sous vide/pros of the oven over the sous vide.

As always, thank you all for the help and knowledge. I hope one day I can return the favor.

1. Cooking in plastic. BPA is only one of the harmful chemicals in plastic so even "food grade" and "BPA free" bags are probably not as safe as we think.

2. It takes quite a bit longer than using the oven or indirect grilling.

That being said, I will never give up my sous vide as I have never had a bad cook from it.

Comment

Originally posted by Slieb845 View Post
      1. Cooking in plastic. BPA is only one of the harmful chemicals in plastic so even "food grade" and "BPA free" bags are probably not as safe as we think.

2. It takes quite a bit longer than using the oven or indirect grilling.

That being said, I will never give up my sous vide as I have never had a bad cook from it.
      Slieb845 True, it does take longer. If I don't have the time, I'll go in the oven. Anything to be said that when it comes out of the oven, the meat is a little bit drier so it sears better/quicker in the cast iron?

Comment

I think both methods work well. I prefer to use sous vide so I can make board sauce. I will pat the surface dry before searing on my cast iron griddle or pan.
        The oven technique works well too. I like to place the meat on an elevated rack to make sure the air gets under the steak while cooking.

Comment

Like Spinaker I always pat dry with a paper towel first with both methods. I either sear on cast iron and have not noticed a difference in the sear between the two methods.

Comment

Great, thanks everyone!

Comment

Sous vide benefit - less temp gradiant, more exact temp.

Sous vide downside - amount of time needed and it’s a bit more difficult to get that same sear. Even going crazy with the paper towels, you still can’t get the dryness you get from the reverse sear in the oven which has a slight impact to the sear

Comment

• Smoking77
                Smoking77 commented
                Editing a comment
                That was my thought too.

I've done them both ways and can't tell much difference. One nice thing about sous vide is that you don't have to babysit it like you do steaks in an oven, constantly checking temps when it gets close to the pull temp. With sous vide, the meat isn't the boss of you.

For flavor, I still prefer reverse sear on the WSCGC+SnS.

Kathryn

Comment

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                LOL...meats not the boss of you....I like that Kathryn

• Smoking77
                Smoking77 commented
                Editing a comment
                I have a leave-in thermometer for the oven, but it's hard to beat the "perfect" temp of a sous vide.

• Obi-Dan
                Obi-Dan commented
                Editing a comment
                You tell that meat who’s boss.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here