Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Testing one two, Anova over!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ernest
    replied
    That's a post sear. There's no way that maillard would take place in the bag.

Leave a comment:

• HC in SC
    replied
    Did the browning of the chicken happen in the water bath or did you pre / post sear?

Leave a comment:

• Ernest
    commented on 's reply
    LOL!! NO NO NO!! That's my handy work. I'm medieval with a hacksaw.

• Dr ROK
    commented on 's reply
    The pre-sear is only meant to eliminate pathogens on the exterior of the meat only, so they don't multiply at the start of the cook. You are correct in that it will not eliminate any pathogens that may be inside the meat, such as those taken into the meat from the surface by injecting. Yes, they certainly are crazy men over there. I think it would be awesome to work there

• Ernest
    commented on 's reply
    But a pre sear is only just that. It does nothing to the internal temp so I doubt that it does anything to help eliminate thingamajigs.
    I'm a member of chef steps, those folks are mad scientists.

• Dr ROK
    commented on 's reply
    Ernest, while I'm no expert on sous vide, I have read there are some concerns regarding food being in the danger zone for some sous vide applications and therefore a pre-sear is done to help eliminate pathogens. This may be where a research based recipe like those at Chef Steps may be of benefit to you. The folks over there are a lot like the experts on this site .

• smarkley
    replied
    Caveman Cooking = good!

But definitely fun to play with new things!

Leave a comment:

• Ernest
    commented on 's reply
    It will take a lot of experimentation on my part.
    If I Follow recipes I'm basically cooking to somebody's liking.
    Most meats are safe to eat at IT 140. It's just a matter of how much longer do I leave the meat in there for texture and tenderness.
    The way I see it, you set The Thing to cook at whatever serving temp you want your food. So if you like steak at 130, then you set it to 130. As for time, I'm starting at 1 hour.
    You can use freezer ziplock bags, should be easy to open, probe and reseal.

• Ernest
    replied
    Nothing beats cavemen cooking, Henrik. NOTHING!

Leave a comment:

• Henrik
    replied
    Yes, that sous vide sure looks handy. That chicken is mouthwatering. Just don't forget to fire up the grill every now and then also, right? ;-)

Leave a comment:

• Dr ROK
    commented on 's reply
    Recipes typically tell you how long to cook and at what temp to be cooking. There is a large window of time that you can leave the food in the sous vide container without any/much negative impact on the food. Her's a link to a good chart by Chef Steps:

ChefSteps is here to make cooking more fun. Get recipes, tips, and videos that show the whys behind the hows for sous vide, grilling, baking, and more.

• _John_
    replied
    That chicken looks terrific.

Leave a comment:

• Jon Solberg
    commented on 's reply
    They make a foam tape that acts like a gasket for a thin probe.

• Jerod Broussard
    replied
    So I'm taking it you just gotta know when things will be ready, not like you can probe 'em??

Leave a comment:

• Jerod Broussard
    commented on 's reply
    Yeh, then he announced that he made the salad in the shower.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/bbq-stars","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tuffy-stone","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/meathead","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/harry-soo","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/matt-pittman","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-rollins","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/dean-fearing","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tim-grandinetti","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-phillips-brett-gallaway","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/david-bouska","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/ariane-daguin","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/jack-arnold","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here