Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Testing one two, Anova over!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Testing one two, Anova over!

Figured before I do a 72 hour cook I'd take baby steps. First soft boiled egg at 167 for 18 minutes. Perfect yolk but white was too loose. I'll do 185 degrees for 13 minutes Next, stuffed chicken breast. Cooking at 148 for 2 hours I'll be back!

I found a small cooler in my garage that fits perfectly. This 25 qt cooler will be reserved for large item cooks.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      How convenient they came with pre-arranged holes.

• Ernest
      Ernest commented
      Editing a comment
      LOL!! NO NO NO!! That's my handy work. I'm medieval with a hacksaw.

Neato. Sure beats a weed burner, you can't eat the stinkin' weeds!!!!!

You know we sometimes get chickens at the plant with un-absorbed yolks.....and they are never perfect. Good going!!!

Comment

Looks good, could use one of those on the tub for the wife

Comment

• Ernest
        Ernest commented
        Editing a comment
        Hahaha! That's a great idea, I'll report back

• _John_
        _John_ commented
        Editing a comment
        I like the garbage disposal in the tub.

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeh, then he announced that he made the salad in the shower.

Experiment, left it in the water bath for 2 hours at 148. Wanted to see if it'd dry out. NOPE! Perfect breast.

Comment

Gotta love a perfect breast. So you diggin the machine?

Comment

So far, I'm digging it like totally. Perfect for warming up leftovers without drying out. I'm doing some beef short ribs @ 138 degrees. I'll pull one bag at 48 hours and the next at 72. I'll see which one I prefer.

Comment

Comment

Beautiful.

Comment

So I'm taking it you just gotta know when things will be ready, not like you can probe 'em??

Comment

• Dr ROK
                  Dr ROK commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Ernest, while I'm no expert on sous vide, I have read there are some concerns regarding food being in the danger zone for some sous vide applications and therefore a pre-sear is done to help eliminate pathogens. This may be where a research based recipe like those at Chef Steps may be of benefit to you. The folks over there are a lot like the experts on this site .

• Ernest
                  Ernest commented
                  Editing a comment
                  But a pre sear is only just that. It does nothing to the internal temp so I doubt that it does anything to help eliminate thingamajigs.
                  I'm a member of chef steps, those folks are mad scientists.

• Dr ROK
                  Dr ROK commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The pre-sear is only meant to eliminate pathogens on the exterior of the meat only, so they don't multiply at the start of the cook. You are correct in that it will not eliminate any pathogens that may be inside the meat, such as those taken into the meat from the surface by injecting. Yes, they certainly are crazy men over there. I think it would be awesome to work there

That chicken looks terrific.

Comment

Yes, that sous vide sure looks handy. That chicken is mouthwatering. Just don't forget to fire up the grill every now and then also, right? ;-)

Comment

Nothing beats cavemen cooking, Henrik. NOTHING!

Comment

Caveman Cooking = good!

But definitely fun to play with new things!

Comment

Did the browning of the chicken happen in the water bath or did you pre / post sear?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here