Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's pretty cool but it takes away the fun part of guessing (cooking)

Comment

Did a poor mans sous vide tonight with the final sear on the gasser. Here are pics and step by step info.

Here's how I hooked up the pit probe so it didn't fall into the water. the paper clip helped keep the probe vertical. Without it the probe would tilt to the left or right depending on where I moved the transmitter. Click image for larger version

Name:	pit probe set up.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	51187

How the entire set up looked. Click image for larger version

Name:	total set up.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	51199

Steak seasoned with S & P, 5 cloves garlic, about 10 thyme sprigs. Click image for larger version

Name:	meat in vac bag.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	51197

Cooked at 135 F for 1 1/2 hours. Took out of bag, reserving juices, and seared in pan that was heated on gas grill. If you sear in the house, you need to make sure you shut the smoke detectors off . Seared in pan to get some fond going for the red wine sauce. Took out of pan and continued sear on grill grates that I'd turned upside down. This is the steak resting as I prepare the red wine sauce. Click image for larger version

Name:	browned steak resting.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	51200

Here's a few shots of the steak plated with the red wine sauce. Look at that consistent color from edge to edge! I'm tellin ya, this was top sirloin, but it tasted and chewed like rib eye. The Mrs. was freaking out it was so good. Click image for larger version

Name:	Kathy cut.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	51201
      Click image for larger version

Name:	med rare througout.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	51202
      Click image for larger version

Name:	my cut.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	51203

The Mrs. plate. Usually there are all kinds of scraps left that she cuts off. She's not one to eat ANY gristle or fat. Click image for larger version

Name:	Kaths plate.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	51204
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Dr ROK; January 10, 2015, 08:29 PM.

Comment

• Ernest
        Ernest commented
        Editing a comment
        WELL DANG!! That's a beautiful steak!

That is very cool. I am turning 60 at the beginning of April. Today I got the word that I have permission to buy myself an Anova as my present from the GF. I'm very excited. When I checked out the new butcher today where I bought the goat meat, they had some rib-eyes in the case that had so much marbling they almost looked like waygu. All I could think about when looking at them was how awesome they would be cooked sous vide and a reverse sear.

DEW

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here