Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HC in SC View Post
    More research needs to be done on my part I suppose...
    HC, if you're interested in sous vide, check out these two resources:

1) Chef Steps: http://www.chefsteps.com/gallery#/?g...ll=sous%20vide

2) Serious Eats:http://www.seriouseats.com/search?te...+vide&site=all

Both sites provide excellent information and tons of it.

Comment

• HC in SC
      HC in SC commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks!

Those sites are fantastic Dr Rok.

Comment

Sous vide beef short ribs. I wish I could use the words that I'd really like to use use right now!! 138 degrees for 54 hours. That steak or prime ribs that you dream about got nothing on this!! For this alone, MONEY WELL SPENT!!

Comment

Baby oh baby, those look soooo good!

Comment

You just don't know Dr ROK! YOU JUST DON'T KNOW!!

Comment

• Dr ROK
            Dr ROK commented
            Editing a comment
            I think I'd be standing there at the cutting board eating slice after slice after slice after slice. They gotta be "Hell with my company, these are mine" good.

• Ernest
            Ernest commented
            Editing a comment
            That's what we all did. Ate it right there at the cutting board

How did you sear them after the water bath?

Comment

This is right out of the bag Seared in my cast iron with salt little beef tallow. Didn't change much, just a little crisp.

Comment

Here's beef short ribs after 65 hours. Silky, still slice like a steak. Very very very beefy flavor. No need for teeth. Very very satisfied.

Comment

You're killling me holmes!

Comment

I have a sous vide supreme box and it is fun. Chef Ryan and I did a dinner for a special friend a couple of weeks ago where we cooked 13 2.5" thick tomahawk pork ribeyes from Compart farms. We needed three sous vide machines. Then we pulled them out and seared the snot out of them on a 5' long japanes hibachi where the coals were about 2" below the meat. Then a morel cream sauce underneath. Fantastic stuff.

That said, a while back I took two identical buffalo ribeyes and did one sous vide and another indirect charcoal grill. I then seared them both at the same time on a hot direct charcoal grill. The sous vide was a bit more tender, but the red neck sous vide (reverse sear) was much better tasting because it had picked up smoke during the slow portion of the cook. It also had better color.

Comment

Thank you Crai....Meathead. I think Sous vide is more of convenience and flexibility with tenderizing as a plus. Nothing beats caveman cooking. I just finished my experiment and I see no reason for a 72 hour cook for beef short ribs. I won't go past 54 hours. I prefer the texture of 54 hour ribs. Both were quite beefy, much more beef flavor than braised ribs. Money well spent. Next, I'd like to drop some chicken legs in before work and just brown them for dinner after work.

Comment

Gorgeous, man. Really.

Comment

Ernest, I was going through a Chef Steps BBQ class and ran across this info that I thought you'd be interested in. Sounds like a great experiment for you to try and report back
                        "So, should you smoke your food before or after you cook it? Smoking prior to low-and-slow sous vide cooking has the advantage of allowing the flavor and color to continue to develop. The components of smoke react with the components of food in a way that is a lot like the Maillard reaction (the reaction between amino acids and sugars found in all protein-rich foods, in which molecules keep reacting to one another in ever more complex ways, helping to develop rich aromas and deep, brown color). Once these reactions have begun, they’ll continue to evolve as the cooking continues inside a sealed sous vide bag. This means that the patina of smoke will darken, the rind will become chewier, and the smoky flavor will mellow.
                        If you want a more vibrant, traditional pit-smoked flavor, then we recommend smoking afterthe sous vide cooking step. Some barbecue pundits claim that you cannot get proper smoked flavor after the food has been cooked. But this is demonstrably false—try it and see. In fact, try both ways of combining sous vide with smoking to discover which you like more. Whatever your preference, once you’ve experienced the remarkable texture and consistency of sous vide food—combined with the convenience of only having to tend to a smoker for a few hours—we predict you’ll convert readily."

Comment

Much appreciated Dr ROK!

Comment

Just stumbled across this sous vide set up. Not sure what it's going to cost, but it looks like it'd be an awesome machine/technology. I subscribed to the email list, so when it comes back into stock I'll find out. Love the phone connection that "learns" how you want things cooked and the refrigeration technology.

Mellow is a smart sous vide machine for your home. Designed for busy food lovers, Mellow makes sous vide cooking a 5-minute step to fresh, delicious, healthy home cooked meals.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here