Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need some opinions on my plan - Baltimore Pit Beef

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Danjohnston949
    commented on 's reply
    That's One Of The Steps I Forgot Andy❓ I have Noted on Others Posts
    That They Don't Brine or Season Before SVD❓ Dan

• Troutman
    replied
    I'm sure Max will chime in but what he means is once the bath is done you want to shock it in a pan if ice water to stop the cooking process and cool the meat. That way you don't over cook it when you do the final sear.

Leave a comment:

• andy.wpg
    replied
    Originally posted by Potkettleblack View Post
    150F on the smoker is not a good idea. Right in the bacterial danger zone. for a long period of time. If you want to smoke at that temp, you will want to fully pasteurize the beef first, like 6 hours at 135.

Try 225F for an hour. You're just trying to build a bit of browning.

Sous vide at 155 for 8 hours.

Shock in ice water.

I wondered about 150 myself, but knew the experts around here would correct ne. Thanks!

Would there be any benefit in going longer than eight hours?

Second question: Could you explain the shock in ice water? What is the purpose of this?

Leave a comment:

• andy.wpg
    replied
    Originally posted by Danjohnston949 View Post
    andy.wpg, Where th Heck Have You Been Buddy❓ I Was Kind of Looking Forward to Seeing You and Your Buddy when You Were On Your Way to Brainard to Officiate the Sports Car Races❓ Next Summer For Sure❓

We went a different route last year - it appears to be somewhat quicker.

As to this year, we'll talk closer to the date. Its still seven months away!

I will be very interested to see what you did.

Andy

Leave a comment:

• Danjohnston949
    replied
    andy.wpg, Where th Heck Have You Been Buddy❓ I Was Kind of Looking Forward to Seeing You and Your Buddy when You Were On Your Way to Brainard to Officiate the Sports Car Races❓ Next Summer For Sure❓

I Am Not Sure I Can Be Much Help to You on Your Sou Vee/Smoke Question❗️ I Have Only Souix Veee Douixed one Chuck Roast Todate and I Think I Screwed That Up‼️ Basically I Did What You Propose,
    Dry Brined for 24 Hrs in a Bag in Fridge, Dry Rubbed +- 6 Hrs Ahead of the SVD❗️ I Don't Recall the Temp and Times❗️ I Finished it by Searing in the Weber and a Vortex❗️ I'll Try to Find My Previous Post and Pics and Put Them Up for You❗️ I do Recall Thinking the Roast While Tender was Over Cooked and Tasteless❓
    IMHOP, From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Leave a comment:

• Potkettleblack
    replied
    150F on the smoker is not a good idea. Right in the bacterial danger zone. for a long period of time. If you want to smoke at that temp, you will want to fully pasteurize the beef first, like 6 hours at 135.

Try 225F for an hour. You're just trying to build a bit of browning.

Sous vide at 155 for 8 hours.

Shock in ice water.

Sear on Warp 10.

Slice.

Profit.

Guga & Ninja are prolific videomakers. They're also not the most well informed cooks. I mean, they tested the best way to do garlic on a steak in SV.

Leave a comment:

• andy.wpg
    started a topic Need some opinions on my plan - Baltimore Pit Beef

Need some opinions on my plan - Baltimore Pit Beef

Even though we are in the depths of winter - I need to taste some smoke! This weekend is supposed to be fairly mild, so, on that basis I want to do Baltimore Pit Beef sandwiches (Meathead version).

Since I got my sous vide circulator, I want to try this method:

Friday evening:
    -Inject the meat (3-4 pound bottom round) as per the recipe and dry brine overnight.
    Saturday:
    -apply the rub (Mrs O'Leary's Cow Crust) and into the smoker at 150F with hickory for three hours.
    -bag and into the water bath at 150F (we like it on the well-done side of medium)
    Sunday:
    -after 24 hours in the water bath, onto the gas grill to sear.
    -serve and enjoy!

Any opinions on this plan? The 150 temp of the smoker is based on a lot of videos by Guga (Sous Vide Everything channel on YouTube).

Thanks for any advice!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here