Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best way to hold sous vide fried chicken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best way to hold sous vide fried chicken

Not specifically a question about sous vide, but since its involved, I thought I'd ask it here. Besides, with the incredible depth of talent and experience around, I'm sure someone will have the answer!

I am going to make fried chicken on Sunday. Sous vide to 155F (dark meat 3 hours, white 1.5 hrs) then coat and fry for perfect chicken.

Our deep fryer is small, and I will only be able to fry 2-4 pieces at a time. How do I hold the done pieces until all are ready? My thoughts were on a rack in the oven, uncovered at 250F.

Anyone have some advice?

Thanks!

I'd say yes to your thoughts. Except I'd suggest no higher than its lowest setting (160-170?), so as not to continue to bake the breasts into overcooked land. Just keep 'em pleasantly hot to eat.

Comment

Sometimes holding in an oven will bring out moisture and you lose a bit of crunch. Since fried chicken is so awesome, will you have time to run a test batch ahead and see?

Comment

Question? What is sous vide?

Comment

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          It’s cookin in a baggie!

If you hold in the oven, I suggest placing the pieces on a wire rack that is in a sheet pan. That way the chicken will not sit in the drippings.

Comment

Originally posted by allsid View Post
          Sometimes holding in an oven will bring out moisture and you lose a bit of crunch. Since fried chicken is so awesome, will you have time to run a test batch ahead and see?
          Not really. It wont be for long, so I think I'll follow Huskee's suggestion and do at the lowest possible temp.

I'll report back here with results.
          Last edited by andy.wpg; January 12, 2018, 04:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MILLERTIME58257 View Post
            Question? What is sous vide?
            Its a method of precision cooking by vacuum bagging the food and using a water bath to cook the food to a precise temperature.

Here's a good description:

“Sous vide” refers to the process of vacuum-sealing food and cooking it in a temperature controlled water bath. Learn how to cook sous vide at home. You can bring the steakhouse home with perfect results, every time.
            Last edited by andy.wpg; January 12, 2018, 05:45 PM.

Comment

Yes in the oven. Do the breasts last. Thighs, first, then drums, then wings then breasts.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	75D8544F-66F5-4F70-8666-54B4DE424EA4.jpeg
Views:	151
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	439002 Yes on the oven if not for terribly long.

For Sous Vide fried chicken I like SV 135-140, but that’s a preference thing (I still will cook long enough to pasteurize).

Then coat and fry up around 400F because you want to quickly cook, brown, and set the crust before the inside overcooks. The fry step is a only few minutes at this temp.

Whatever you do it is essential that you sprinkle salt on them as soon as you get them out of he fryer and onto the rack.

Comment

• RonB
                  RonB commented
                  Editing a comment
                  What does the post fryer salt do?

skip the HTTM and fry it in tallow... serve hot.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here