Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have joined the sous vide fraternity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have joined the sous vide fraternity

Well, my wife gave me an immersion circulator for Christmas.

I picked up a Coleman Party Stacker 48 can cooler for my water bath and cut the 2.5" hole in the lid. Most people go to that point and they're good to go. I, however, can never leave well enough alone, and I have a 3D printer.

I fabricated a bracket that is bolted to the lid of the cooler to clamp the cooker in, much like the bracket it came with. And, since I will be storing it in the cooler, I made a dust cap to close the hole for storage.

The marks for min and max water level are hard to see, and since the cooker is clamped to the lid, pretty much useless. So, to that end, I am currently printing a gauge that clips over the edge of the cooler to show the levels while you're getting things ready.

I'm planning to do NY Strip steaks on New Years Day, so wish me luck with my first endeavor.
    Last edited by andy.wpg; December 30, 2017, 10:46 AM. Reason: Spelling

Here’s some luck!!

Although, as much effort as you’ve put into preparation I seriously doubt you’ll need it! That’ll be some tasty meat!

Comment

Love the attention to detail. I got one a month ago and still have not used. Too many other options.

Comment

Glad to see you embraced the technology! You’ll love the results I’m sure. I’m an engineer myself so I like your tinkering mindset. Show us some pix of your rig.

Comment

• andy.wpg
          andy.wpg commented
          Editing a comment
          See below! :-)

need pics

Comment

• andy.wpg
          andy.wpg commented
          Editing a comment
          Your wish is my command!

Here are the requested pictures.

First, the empty bracket:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Bracket.jpg Views:	2 Size:	1.46 MB ID:	431406

Next, the bracket with the sous vide inserted:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Full.jpg Views:	2 Size:	1.55 MB ID:	431408

Ready for storage with the dust cap:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Dust_cap.jpg Views:	2 Size:	1.82 MB ID:	431410

And, finally, the knobs that tighten the bracket:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Knobs.jpg Views:	2 Size:	2.25 MB ID:	431412
        Last edited by andy.wpg; December 30, 2017, 03:27 PM.

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Really like it, but I'm too lazy for that!

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Dude you made that? It looks custom molded. Man I’d put that out there for sale....

• andy.wpg
          andy.wpg commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the compliment! :-) The only problem is that I would have to buy one of EVERY cooker to model them! I would have to sell a LOT to make that up.

Awesome set up! Good luck. You'll love it!

Comment

Welcome to the Sous Vide Cult. I'm sure you'll soon have it in the bag! lol Very nice bracket you made for your cooler.

Comment

Very nice bracket! Should maintain a really long cook (say 48hrs for a brisket!).

Comment

Nice. Welcome to the club.

Comment

Pretty dang impressive! The SV community is coed, btw. Along with Potkettleblack your best instruction will be from fzxdoc.

Comment

So, have you fabricated one of these for the Anova’s? 😁 I’m in the middle of a long cook at high temp and am fighting with evaporation more than I expected. As a voice in a movie once said if you build it they will come!

Comment

• Spinaker
                    Spinaker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    barelfly I use three different containers. Use an 8qt, 12qt and a 22 Qt. The lid fits all of those containers. I have used a cooler as well. You can cover the cooler with foil and it will work, but it can still drip. The above option would be nice too.

• barelfly
                    barelfly commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thank you Spinaker - my 8qt is a Rubbermaid so will pick this up and a 12qt.

• Spinaker
                    Spinaker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yeah, I am not sure about the top of a rubbermaid. But I assume they are pretty universal. The 12 Qt that I use is often paired with the silicone lid, on Amazon.

Originally posted by barelfly View Post
                  So, have you fabricated one of these for the Anova’s? 😁 I’m in the middle of a long cook at high temp and am fighting with evaporation more than I expected. As a voice in a movie once said if you build it they will come!
                  No. I don't have an Annova. I could, however, send you the OpenSCAD files and you could play with them to modify it for yours.

OpenSCAD is free and available at: http://www.openscad.org/

If you don't have a friend that has a 3D printer, you could use 3Dhubs. There will be someone in your area that would be able to print it for a small fee.

Hubs is now Protolabs Network. Manufacturing capabilities for complex custom parts–from prototypes to production. 3D printing | CNC machining | injection molding.

I have sent you a zip file with the OpenSCAD files I used. With a little fooling around, you should be able to modify it for your needs. You will notice that the bracket has a a center target (to mark the hole center) that is designed to be cut away with side cutters after use. Remember that you have to oversize holes a little bit because the come out slightly smaller when printed.

Of course you can always contact me here if you have questions. I am by no means an expert with OpenSCAD, but I've been fooling around with it for a couple of years, and can usually manage to make what I need to.

Comment

• barelfly
                    barelfly commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thank you! Hahaha, I have no experience whatsoever with openscad but I’ll take a look at it on the PC and see what. Can come up with. Could be a fun project.

Thanks again for your generosity of sending the files!

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here