Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

a successful steak dinner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a successful steak dinner

Thanks to all again. I cooked a striploin that was as good as any steak I have ever eaten. 1 pound striploins from costco. Sous vide to 140 degrees. Seared on weber chimney.

Greek potatoes. Garden fresh vegetables. Neighbour brought greek ribs.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0994 (1).JPG
Views:	184
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	376620Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0993.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	376621Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0995 (1).JPG
Views:	166
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	376622Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0996.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	376623

Looks amazing. Something I recently learned here and you may went to try is "The Big Chill". It's taken my sousvque to the next level. Eliminates that gray gradient at the edge of the meat.

Fire meets water with the introduction of the sous-vide-que cooking method. By starting steak in a temperature controlled sous vide water bath, it's rendered perfectly cooked every time. Before hitting the grill, the food is shocked in an ice and water bath to stop cooking so that it can be grilled without overcooking.

Comment

I suspect your right adamjs83 about it being even better with an ice bath. For this experiment I wanted to make things as simple and repeatable as I could. I'm really happy with the results. I'll try the big chill another time and see the results.

Comment

Lookin' good.

Comment

Beautiful!

Comment

Great looking photos!

Comment

Very nice!

Comment

Yeah buddy!!!! Was that amount of red ok for you and the family?? Perhaps 145° next time? I love Greek food. Any idea how those ribs and taters were cooked? That's a great looking steak for no chill and 140° bath.

Wait.... it was you trying to make the well done burger right?

Comment

HouseHomey - yep that was me and the well done burger. The sous vide solved my juicy burger issue, I cooked the burgers to 150 in the bath and put a sear on them and I have now acquired a taste for a bit of pink in my burger.

The steak was perfectly done for my taste. Solid pink, no red. I cooked my wifes steak longer on the grill till it hit 165 and she was happy. I've always struggled in a restaurant to get the right level of 'doneness'. I thought I liked medium well because sometimes I'd get red and sometimes I'd get well done. Nice to know that I can cook it the way I want it every time now.

I did the Greek potatoes. Just googled the recipe so it was my first time with them. People said they were as good as restaurant potatoes. Here is the recipe <http://allrecipes.com/recipe/186811/...d=cardslot%202>

My neighbour did the greek ribs so I don't have her recipe. They didn't work for me, so that project is still under construction. But did I tell you about my steak??

Comment

• HouseHomey
                    HouseHomey commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes sir!!! Nice work. Simple taters but nail the cook and PRESTO!!!!! I just looked again. Yum! fzxdoc noted your SV purchase first. Wow good call it seems. I am totally Into your queast for "More Cooked" meat. I can't wait to see the rest. Keep it coming.

What a feast, Hugh ! Sounds like you've got your steaks dialed in pretty much perfectly for your tastes. Congrats. It's a fine thing to have developed yet another TNT (tried 'n true) recipe.

You seem to be pleased with your decision to buy a sous vide unit before a smoker purchase. You've been having fun with it, looks like.

Kathryn

Comment

• Hugh
                    Hugh commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks for your advice fzxdoc. The SV is a hoot. Also went and got a chimney Between them and the gasser, there is nothing I can't experiment with. I'm having alot of fun. I will probably do a PBC in the spring as next summer's project and to up my smoking game.

That steak looks delicious.

Comment

• HouseHomey
                    HouseHomey commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes sir it does!

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here