Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A 800w Sous Vide circulator for $60...🙀

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A 800w Sous Vide circulator for $60...🙀

Oh my... I paid $199 for my 800w Anova SV circulator 2 years ago. Now here we are at $59. I predicted a while ago these things will continue falling in price like toasters and microwaves did. Soon... they will be in every home in America. They are just that good. https://www.amazon.com/Sous-Vide-The...de+circulators

You may also want to add this vacuum packing device to your shopping list. https://www.amazon.com/Gourmia-GVS43..._huc_mrai_1_dp

Then you might need these too. https://www.amazon.com/FoodVacBags-2...WAPBXGG3JSYQTT
    Last edited by Breadhead; July 25, 2017, 08:34 PM.

Seems like us early adopters always pay the higher price doesn't it. Soon they will be down to around 25 bucks like a good toaster.

Comment

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes...😡 My first microwave was ridiculously high priced. As was my first cell phone, that was bigger than my forearm.. As was my first computer. I paid $5000 for my first flat panel big screen TV too.🙈

• Thunder77
      Thunder77 commented
      Editing a comment
      I remember the first cell phone I had. It took up half of my big briefcase, and was powered by a camcorder battery!

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, but we have the glamor and gravitas of having been early adopters! ;-)

1st microwave was an Amanda Radarange. All stainless steel. CDN $850.00 after 25% employee discount in 1982. Man that thing was a bear!

Comment

When I was a kid in the early 80s my dad bought a new-fangled device called a VCR for over $400! The last time I seen one in Walmart before they stopped being produced (maybe what 2 years, 3 years ago?) they were about $30, with way more features than my dad's first Toshiba I think it was. Funny how things change like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Breadhead View Post
        Oh my... I paid $199 for my 800w Anova SV circulator 2 years ago. Now here we are at $59. I predicted a while ago these things will continue falling in price like toasters and microwaves did. Soon... they will be in every home in America. They are just that good. https://www.amazon.com/Sous-Vide-The...de+circulators
        The customer reviews on that thing are pretty odd. Several of them report great satisfaction with the packaging and how quickly they received it, but say they haven't yet cooked with it.

Comment

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          True but the technology is so basic/simple that I've never heard of a circulator not working accurately. I'm going to buy a few of those. One for me so I have 3 circulators to cook with and to have some to give away as gifts.

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          My nomiku has stopped in the middle of long cooks for no reason. I've read about people having software issues with Anovas.

Breadhead, you are NOT helping my MCS here....

Comment

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          All Pit members are enablers.😬 We will never tell you to wait or to be careful when you're contemplating buying gear.😂 We want to see pictures of it coming off the truck, unpacking it, and you cooking with it.🤗

This isn't quite a "fair" comparison because you don't always heat water from 72F to 135F but it does show the range of power across several of the "premium" SV circulators.

Click image for larger version

Name:	sv-watts.png
Views:	124
Size:	464.1 KB
ID:	352764
        Last edited by RobertC; July 26, 2017, 01:24 PM.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          My joule heats water much faster than my nomiku, which I never use anymore.It will also work in a smaller container, which makes it go a lot faster.

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Yessir! RobertC ! Thanks!

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          When I bought my 800w Anova 2 years ago I turned my hot water heater up so it comes out of the spicot at 131°. Then if I need my water to be 185° to do veggies I boil a big pot of water and dump it into my 131° water so i get to 185° quickly. The 800w circulator is all I need.👍

BTW, this is not an ANOVA...jus' sayin'

Comment

Breadhead Turning your hot water heater up is probably not very economical -- that's a full-time 24/7 solution for a part-time problem. A secondary issue is that, in general, higher power output not only heats water up faster, it can also allow you to use a larger cooking vessel should you need it. The exact maximum size of a vessel will depend, of course, on how high you need the temperature to be and how well it's insulated.

Comment

• RobertC
            RobertC commented
            Editing a comment
            I use my French press to make cold brew concentrate.

• Breadhead
            Breadhead commented
            Editing a comment
            How do you make the concentrate RobertC ...? And what do you do with it?

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            I used to use a filtron, but it got lost somewhere along the way. I still like that cold-brew method.

Breadhead I use about 80g of coarsely-ground coffee (the grind I normally use for French press) to about 700 ml of tap water, but the exact coffee:water ratio will depend on your own personal taste. The afternoon or evening before, I dump both in a French press, stir once or twice, pop the lid on but don't press down, then let sit on the counter until morning. Then I gently press, pour the concentrate into a clean mason jar, and keep that in the fridge. When I want hot coffee I pour some into a cup and either dilute with boiling water to taste, or else I dilute with tap water and pop it into the microwave. When I want iced coffee I drop ice cubes into a glass and pour over the concentrate. As with the coffee:water extraction ratio, the amount of dilution will also depend on your own personal taste.

The coffee doesn't heat so the aromatics don't volatilize as easily, nor do the acids leach as easily.

For guests who don't like the residual grinds, I pass the concentrate through an Aeropress before dilution. I don't do that for myself.

Comment

• Breadhead
            Breadhead commented
            Editing a comment
            Very interesting... thank you for informing me. I've never heard of that method before. I'll give it a try.👍

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here