Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chateaubriand cooked Sous Vide style and seared on BGE.🙀

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chateaubriand cooked Sous Vide style and seared on BGE.🙀

Some people claim Kamado's aren't very good at searing...🙄 That's because they don't have a clue on how to use a Kamado properly.👍

I'm SVing a Choice grade beef tenderloin after trimming the fat and silver skin. I've left on the outside muscle instead of trimming it off to just the center cut because I'm feeding 8 people. I dry brined after trimming it and left it in the fridge on a baking sheet with a cooling rack on it, for good circulation around the meat. Today I seasoned it with some rosemary powder and minced garlic and put it in the vacuum packed bag and put it in the Magic hot tub.👍

Then I went outside to set up a searing station for this Big Long Hunk of meat on what I feel will give me the best sear... I looked at my 26" Weber kettle with the Slow n Sear and then I looked at my large Big Green Egg and my standard grate...🤔🤔🤔 Sizing the 2 pieces of equipment up I decided the Slow n Sear didn't have as much cooking space as the firebox in my BGE. So I decided to use the BGE.😆 Here goes another argument.🙈

Meathead told me 6 years ago the reason you're not getting good steaks off of your BGE is because you can't get your steaks close enough to the red hot, Warp 10, lump coal to sear them properly to give them that dark mahogany crust on the top, and for what he and I knew at that time he was dead right. Since then... 6 years now, I've been working on perfecting getting my steaks within 2" of Warp 10 hot lump for searing. I think I've perfected the reverse sear on a round Kamado with very little fiddling around with extra gear, no plate setter needed.🤗👍

Now that I've taken up Sous Vide cooking and all I need is a searing station I got to thinking... that's dangerous! I looked at the fire ring sitting on top of the firebox and they were the same circumference. Then I got to thinking if I remove the fire ring the standard grate will fit on top of my firebox perfectly... like it was make for that, wink, wink.😆

Then I remember Meathead telling me I needed to get my steaks 2" from the red hot lump to sear them properly so... I filled the firebox up until the lump was 2" from the top of the firebox.🤗 This ain't rocket science folks. Then I put my standard large BGE grate on top of my firebox and I thought this can work.👍

You will notice in the pictures I've put 4 starter sticks in different places in the lump pile to get the fire burning quickly in the entire firebox. Plus I put the BBQ Dragon there to get that fire to Warp 10 heat quickly.👍 Then notice the long handle meat hook in place for me to flip my meat, without burning my hands. I like having twice of the cooking space for searing when I'm cooking large hunks of meat or many different steaks. The Slow n Sear limits me to 2 steaks at a time.🙄

With tonights dinner i'm going to also serve a bernaise sauce for the meat. Then I'm doing scalloped potatoes and asparagus. Someone will bring some nice red wine too.🤗

I put the Chateaubriand in the Magic hot tub at high noon... I will Sear it at about 6:00.pm. Pictures will follow.😎
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Breadhead; July 16, 2017, 03:01 PM.

Funny how time and experience can simplify and make elegant!

Comment

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      With guidance from a Master... until Meathead explained to me exactly why my Kamado sucked as a grill, I had no clue what to work on to do the reverse sear on my round Kamado. Now... I've got it figured out and simplified.

Chateaubriand is a holiday favorite here ... so I'll be doing pretty much the same for Christmas. Looking forward to how yours turns out ...

Comment

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      Mike... Chateaubriand + Sous Vide + a good Sear = the most tender succulent piece of beef your mouth will ever feel. The bernaise adds some flavor too. Doing it that way versus cutting it into 2" slices is more fun and it looks fantastic on the cutting board.👌

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      My friend Scary Mary is sending her son off to North Carolina and asked if I would cook him his favorite meal... chateaubriand with a bernaise sauce. I love that cook and gladly said sure.

Thanks for the details!

Comment

Looking forward to more pictures.

Comment

I started the 4 fire starter sticks at 5:55pm. I let it burn for about 10 minutes and then turned on the BBQ Dragon. I let the BBQ Dragon blow for about 8 minutes and then let the fire burn while I took the meat out of the SV bag, blotted it dry, and applied some beef love. Then into the BGE it went to sear. I put a nice crust on it and when it looked like a really beautiful Chateaubriand I pulled it. On to the cutting board it went. The bernaise boosted the flavor some and the sides were great...👍
        Attached Files

Comment

Beautiful!

Comment

Simply magnificent, Brian! Great job!

Comment

Wow brother, that looks awesome. That side chain meat is delicious too!! Yum!

Comment

What a beautiful send off for Scary Mary's son! Superb job!

Comment

Great presentation! I love the combination.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here