Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 3 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Lost Username or Password | Pitmaster Club Information, | Join 30 Days Free | Contact Us ]

There are 2 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse

Meat-Up in Memphis 2021

SOLD OUT! Secure your spot on our waitlist now. First-come, first-served!
Click here for details. (https://amazingribs.com/memphis)
See more
See less

Chateaubriand cooked Sous Vide style and seared on BGE.🙀

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Breadhead
    Banned Former Member
    • Jul 2014

Chateaubriand cooked Sous Vide style and seared on BGE.🙀

Some people claim Kamado's aren't very good at searing...🙄 That's because they don't have a clue on how to use a Kamado properly.👍

I'm SVing a Choice grade beef tenderloin after trimming the fat and silver skin. I've left on the outside muscle instead of trimming it off to just the center cut because I'm feeding 8 people. I dry brined after trimming it and left it in the fridge on a baking sheet with a cooling rack on it, for good circulation around the meat. Today I seasoned it with some rosemary powder and minced garlic and put it in the vacuum packed bag and put it in the Magic hot tub.👍

Then I went outside to set up a searing station for this Big Long Hunk of meat on what I feel will give me the best sear... I looked at my 26" Weber kettle with the Slow n Sear and then I looked at my large Big Green Egg and my standard grate...🤔🤔🤔 Sizing the 2 pieces of equipment up I decided the Slow n Sear didn't have as much cooking space as the firebox in my BGE. So I decided to use the BGE.😆 Here goes another argument.🙈

Meathead told me 6 years ago the reason you're not getting good steaks off of your BGE is because you can't get your steaks close enough to the red hot, Warp 10, lump coal to sear them properly to give them that dark mahogany crust on the top, and for what he and I knew at that time he was dead right. Since then... 6 years now, I've been working on perfecting getting my steaks within 2" of Warp 10 hot lump for searing. I think I've perfected the reverse sear on a round Kamado with very little fiddling around with extra gear, no plate setter needed.🤗👍

Now that I've taken up Sous Vide cooking and all I need is a searing station I got to thinking... that's dangerous! I looked at the fire ring sitting on top of the firebox and they were the same circumference. Then I got to thinking if I remove the fire ring the standard grate will fit on top of my firebox perfectly... like it was make for that, wink, wink.😆

Then I remember Meathead telling me I needed to get my steaks 2" from the red hot lump to sear them properly so... I filled the firebox up until the lump was 2" from the top of the firebox.🤗 This ain't rocket science folks. Then I put my standard large BGE grate on top of my firebox and I thought this can work.👍

You will notice in the pictures I've put 4 starter sticks in different places in the lump pile to get the fire burning quickly in the entire firebox. Plus I put the BBQ Dragon there to get that fire to Warp 10 heat quickly.👍 Then notice the long handle meat hook in place for me to flip my meat, without burning my hands. I like having twice of the cooking space for searing when I'm cooking large hunks of meat or many different steaks. The Slow n Sear limits me to 2 steaks at a time.🙄

With tonights dinner i'm going to also serve a bernaise sauce for the meat. Then I'm doing scalloped potatoes and asparagus. Someone will bring some nice red wine too.🤗

I put the Chateaubriand in the Magic hot tub at high noon... I will Sear it at about 6:00.pm. Pictures will follow.😎
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Breadhead; July 16, 2017, 03:01 PM.
  • EdF
    EdF
    Club Member
    • Jul 2016
    • Atlantic Highlands, NJ
    • Uuni Pro (new kid in town)
      Karubeque C-60
      Large BGE since 2002 + plate setter + pizza stone + upper grid + stainless paella pan for drippings (the best!)
      TEC Cherokee FR since 2014 (portable infrared grill - does a mighty sear)
      Polyscience Sous Vide Pro since 2012 (wasn't much else available in those days)
      Thermapen
      Thermapen Air
      ThermaQ (or its predecessor)
      Thermoworks Hi temp IR
      BBQ Dragon & Chimney of Insanity
      Various other stuff

Funny how time and experience can simplify and make elegant!

Comment

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      With guidance from a Master... until Meathead explained to me exactly why my Kamado sucked as a grill, I had no clue what to work on to do the reverse sear on my round Kamado. Now... I've got it figured out and simplified.
  • MBMorgan
    Club Member
    • Sep 2015
    • Colorado
    • > Weber Genesis EP-330
      > Grilla Grills Original Grilla (OG) pellet smoker
      > Pit Barrel Cooker (gone to a new home)
      > WeberQ 2000 (on "loan" to a relative)
      > Old Smokey Electric (for chickens mostly - when it's too nasty out
      to fiddle with a more capable cooker)
      > Luhr Jensen Little Chief Electric - Top Loader circa 1990 (smoked fish & jerky)
      > Thermoworks Smoke
      > 3 Thermoworks Chef Alarms
      > Thermoworks Thermapen
      > Thermoworks IR-GUN-S
      > Anova sous vide circulator
      > Searzall torch
      > BBQ Guru Rib Ring

> Favorite Beer: Guinness Extra Stout, Fat Tire, Anchor Steam, or Alaskan Amber
      > Favorite Wine: Klinker Brick Old Ghost Zinfandel or Matetic Corralillo Winemaker's Blend
      > Favorite Whiskey: Balvenie Double Wood Scotch or Jameson Irish

Chateaubriand is a holiday favorite here ... so I'll be doing pretty much the same for Christmas. Looking forward to how yours turns out ...

Comment

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      Mike... Chateaubriand + Sous Vide + a good Sear = the most tender succulent piece of beef your mouth will ever feel. The bernaise adds some flavor too. Doing it that way versus cutting it into 2" slices is more fun and it looks fantastic on the cutting board.👌

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      My friend Scary Mary is sending her son off to North Carolina and asked if I would cook him his favorite meal... chateaubriand with a bernaise sauce. I love that cook and gladly said sure.
  • kmhfive
    Club Member
    • Mar 2017
    • Northern Illinois
    • Weber Kettle -- 22.5" (In-Service Date June 2015)
      Slow-n-Sear/Drip-n-Griddle/Grill Grates (In-Service Date March 2016)
      Pit Boss 820 (Retired)
      GMG Jim Bowie WiFi (In-Service Date April 2017)
      Maverick ET-733
      Fireboard
      Home-brewer

Thanks for the details!

Comment

• JCGrill
      Club Member
      • Mar 2017
      • Minneapolis / St Paul burbs
      • Charcoal - 22" Weber Kettle
        Gas - Saber
        Smoker - Green Mountain Daniel Boone
        Portable - Charbroil Tabletop Propane Grill

Looking forward to more pictures.

Comment

• Breadhead
        Banned Former Member
        • Jul 2014

I started the 4 fire starter sticks at 5:55pm. I let it burn for about 10 minutes and then turned on the BBQ Dragon. I let the BBQ Dragon blow for about 8 minutes and then let the fire burn while I took the meat out of the SV bag, blotted it dry, and applied some beef love. Then into the BGE it went to sear. I put a nice crust on it and when it looked like a really beautiful Chateaubriand I pulled it. On to the cutting board it went. The bernaise boosted the flavor some and the sides were great...👍
        Attached Files

Comment

• DWCowles
          Founding Member
          • Jul 2014
          • Smiths Grove, Ky
          • Hi, my name is Darrell. I'm an OTR truck driver for over 25 years. During my off time I love doing backyard cooks. I have a 48" Lang Deluxe smoker, Rec-Tec pellet smoker,1 Weber Genesis 330, 1 Weber Performer (blue), 2 Weber kettles (1 black and 1 Copper), 1 26" Weber kettle, a WSM, 8 Maverick Redi Chek thermometers, a PartyQ, 2 SnS, Grill Grates, Cast Iron grates, 1 ThermoPop (orange) and 2 ThermoPens (pink and orange) and planning on adding more cooking accessories. Now I have an Anova sous vide, the Dragon blower and 2 Chef alarms from Thermoworks.

Beautiful!

Comment

• MBMorgan
            Club Member
            • Sep 2015
            • Colorado
            • > Weber Genesis EP-330
              > Grilla Grills Original Grilla (OG) pellet smoker
              > Pit Barrel Cooker (gone to a new home)
              > WeberQ 2000 (on "loan" to a relative)
              > Old Smokey Electric (for chickens mostly - when it's too nasty out
              to fiddle with a more capable cooker)
              > Luhr Jensen Little Chief Electric - Top Loader circa 1990 (smoked fish & jerky)
              > Thermoworks Smoke
              > 3 Thermoworks Chef Alarms
              > Thermoworks Thermapen
              > Thermoworks IR-GUN-S
              > Anova sous vide circulator
              > Searzall torch
              > BBQ Guru Rib Ring

> Favorite Beer: Guinness Extra Stout, Fat Tire, Anchor Steam, or Alaskan Amber
              > Favorite Wine: Klinker Brick Old Ghost Zinfandel or Matetic Corralillo Winemaker's Blend
              > Favorite Whiskey: Balvenie Double Wood Scotch or Jameson Irish

Simply magnificent, Brian! Great job!

Comment

• HouseHomey
              Club Member
              • May 2016
              • Huntington Beach, Ca. Surf City USA.
              • Equipment
                Primo Oval xl

Slow n Sear (two)
                Drip n Griddle
                22" Weber Kettle
                26" Weber Kettle one touch
                Blackstone 36” Pro Series
                Sous vide machine
                Kitchen Aid
                Meat grinder
                sausage stuffer
                5 Crock Pots
                Akootrimonts
                Two chimneys (was 3 but rivets finally popped, down to 1)
                cast iron pans,
                Dutch ovens
                Signals 4 probe, thermapens, chef alarms, Dots, thermapop and maverick T-732, RTC-600, pro needle and various pocket instareads.
                The help and preferences
                1 extra fridge and a deep chest freezer in the garage
                KBB
                FOGO
                A 9 year old princess foster child
                Patience and old patio furniture
                "Baby Girl" The cat

Erik S.

Wow brother, that looks awesome. That side chain meat is delicious too!! Yum!

Comment

• Thunder77
                Founding Member
                • Jul 2014
                • Halethorpe, MD
                • Weber 26.75" Kettle with SnS. Broil King Baron 5 burner. Akorn Kamado, and Akorn Jr kamado. Primo Oval Junior. Love grilling steaks, ribs, and chicken. Need to master smoked salmon Favorite cool weather beer: Sam Adams Octoberfest Favorite warm weather beer: Yuengling Traditional Lager All-time favorite drink: Single Malt Scotch

What a beautiful send off for Scary Mary's son! Superb job!

Comment

• kmhfive
                  Club Member
                  • Mar 2017
                  • Northern Illinois
                  • Weber Kettle -- 22.5" (In-Service Date June 2015)
                    Slow-n-Sear/Drip-n-Griddle/Grill Grates (In-Service Date March 2016)
                    Pit Boss 820 (Retired)
                    GMG Jim Bowie WiFi (In-Service Date April 2017)
                    Maverick ET-733
                    Fireboard
                    Home-brewer

Great presentation! I love the combination.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse

Meat-Up in Memphis 2021

SOLD OUT! Secure your spot on our waitlist now. First-come, first-served!
                  Click here for details. (https://amazingribs.com/memphis)
                  See more
                  See less
                  Working...
                  X
                  Meat-Up in Memphis

Placeholder

Spotlight

These are not ads or paid placements. These Are Some Of Our Favorite Tools And Toys.

These are products we have tested, won our top awards, and are highly recommend. Click here to read how we test, about our medals, and what they mean.

Use our links when you buy things

Many merchants pay us a small referral fee when you click our links and purchase from them. On Amazon it works on everything from grills to diapers, they never tell us what you bought, it has zero impact on the price you pay, but has a major impact on our ability to improve this site! If you like AmazingRibs.com, please save this link and use it every time you go to Amazon

https://tinyurl.com/amazingribs

If you have a Weber Kettle, you need the Slow 'N' Sear

Placeholder

The Slow 'N' Sear turns your grill into a first class smoker and also creates an extremely hot sear zone you can use to create steakhouse steaks.

Click here for our article on this breakthrough tool

The Good-One Is A Superb Grill And A Superb Smoker All In One

Placeholder

The Good-One Open Range is dramatically different from a traditional offset smoker. By placing the heat source behind and under the smokebox instead of off to the side, Open Range produces even temperature from left to right, something almost impossible to achieve with a standard barrel shaped offset.

Click here to read our complete review

Griddle And Deep Fryer In One

Placeholder

The flat top does the burgers and the fryer does the fries. Use the griddle for bacon, eggs, and home fries. Or pancakes, fajitas, grilled cheese, you name it. Why stink up the house deep frying and spatter all over? Do your fried chicken and calamari outside. Blackstone's Rangetop Combo With Deep Fryer does it all!

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

The Pit Barrel Cooker May Be Too Easy

Placeholder

The PBC has a rabid cult following for good reason. It is absolutely positively without a doubt the best bargain on a smoker in the world. Period. This baby will cook circles around the cheap offset sideways barrel smokers because temperature control is so much easier.

Click here to read our detailed review and the raves from people who own them

The Undisputed Champion!

Placeholder

The Thermoworks Thermapen MK4 is considered by the pros, and our team, to be the single best instant read thermometer. The MK4 includes features that are common on high-end instruments: automatic backlight and rotating display. Don't accept cheap substitutes.

Click here to read our comprehensive Platinum Medal review

Grilla Pellet Smoker proves good things come in small packages

Placeholder

We always liked Grilla. The small 31.5" x 29.5" footprint makes it ideal for use where BBQ space is limited, as on a condo patio.

Click here for our review on this unique smoker

Delta by Nuke,
                  Stylish and Affordable
                  Gaucho Grill

Placeholder

Delta by Nuke burns wood or charcoal and comes with an adjustable height grill grate. This Argentinian grill will get your flame on!

Genesis II E-335 
                  A Versatile Gasser That Does It All!

Placeholder

Weber’s Genesis line has long been one of the most popular choices for gas grillers. The new Genesis II E-335 offers solid performance, a sear burner for sizzling heat and an excellent warranty.

GrillGrates Take Gas Grills To The Infrared Zone

Placeholder

GrillGrates(TM) amplify heat, prevent flareups, make flipping foods easier, kill hotspots, flip over to make a fine griddle, and can be easily rmoved from one grill to another. You can even throw wood chips, pellets, or sawdust between the rails and deliver a quick burst of smoke.

Click here for more about what makes these grates so special

Is This Superb Charcoal Grill A Kamado Killer?

Placeholder

The PK-360, with 360 square inches of cooking space, this rust free, cast aluminum charcoal grill is durable and easy to use. Four-way venting means it's easy to set up for two zone cooking with more control than single vent Kamado grills. It is beautifully designed, completely portable, and much easier to set up for 2-zone cooking than any round kamado.

Click here to read our detailed review of the PK 360

Click here to order directly and get an exclusive AmazingRibs.com deal

Our Favorite Backyard Smoker

Placeholder

The amazing Karubecue is the most innovative smoker in the world. The quality of meat from this machine is astonishing. At its crux is a patented firebox that burns logs above the cooking chamber and sucks heat and extremely clean blue smoke into the thermostat controlled oven. It is our favorite smoker, period.

Click here for our review of this superb smoker

Masterbuilt MPS 340/G ThermoTemp XL Propane Smoker

Placeholder

This is the first propane smoker with a thermostat, making this baby foolproof. Set ThermoTemp's dial from 175° to 350°F and the thermostat inside will adjust the burner just like an indoor kitchen oven. All you need to do is add wood to the tray above the burner to start smokin'.

Click here to read our detailed review

Digital Thermometers Are Your Most Valuable Tool And Here's A Great Buy!

Placeholder

A good digital thermometer keeps you from serving dry overcooked food or dangerously undercooked food. They are much faster and much more accurate than dial thermometers. YOU NEED ONE!

Click here to read our complete review

Track Up To Six Temperatures At Once

Placeholder

FireBoard Drive 2 is an updated version of a well-received product that sets the standard for performance and functionality in the wireless food thermometer/thermostatic controller class.

Click here for our review of this unique device

The Cool Kettle With The Hinged Hood We Always Wanted

Placeholder

Napoleon's NK22CK-C Charcoal Kettle Grill puts a few spins on the familiar kettle design. In fact, the hinged lid with a handle on the front, spins in a rotary motion 180 degrees. It's hard to beat a Weber kettle, but Napoleon holds its own and adds some unique features to make the NK22CK-C a viable alternative.

Click here for more about what makes this grill special

Finally, A Great Portable Pellet Smoker

Placeholder

Green Mountain's portable Davy Crockett Pellet Smoker is one mean tailgating and picnic machine. But it's also gaining popularity with people who want to add a small, set it and forget it pellet smoker to their backyard arsenal. And with their WiFi capabilities you can control and monitor Davy Crocket from your smart phone or laptop.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order