Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Combo Cambro Sous Cooker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Combo Cambro Sous Cooker

I recently purchased an Anova machine. The first few cooks I used a steel pot - most of the cooks were short, a few hours max.
    I am planning an doing a pretty large Tri Tip and got thinking about a different vessel. Well, as luck would have it, I kept some nice styrofoam shipping boxes from Omaha Steaks. I sometimes use them as cambro's after smoking.

I thought, thick walls, tight cover, well insulated. Why Not ;-) Grabbed the smaller of the 2 boxes and started.

I used the retaining ring on the Anova as a template and a serrated knife. Kept the cut out circle intact so I could still use the container as a false cambro. My wife had a great idea to use a non-toxic sealer to keep the styrofoam from shedding. A few coats and it works great.

I did a quick test run. Make soft boiled eggs as per Kenji (3 min boil, 1 min ice bath, 45 mins @ 145F). Worked great! In fact, I turned the heat down after 45 mins to 130F to hold them. Worked too well, the temp barely lost 1 degree in 20 mins!!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170513_163019 (Large).jpg
Views:	134
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	318956

Name:	20170513_163030 (Large).jpg
Views:	142
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	318957

Name:	20170513_163110 (Large).jpg
Views:	128
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	318958

Nice!!

Comment

Perfect fit!

Comment

Sweeeeet!

Comment

While I haven't purchased any SV gear, thus far, I heartily enjoy th' ingenuity of yer sv/cambro!!!
          Well done, Sir!

Comment

Great idea and thank you for sharing the pictures. May I ask you what type of non-toxic sealer you used? I am definitely going to copy your idea.

Comment

• Thunder77
              Thunder77 commented
              Editing a comment
              That is Mod Podge. It's a sealer artists use on their canvases.

Have a similar box from joes of kc. Knew it would come in handt

Comment

I have a styrofoam box similar to yours and used it today to keep some pulled pork warm for our family reunion. I heated a gel heat pack in the microwave and put that in the bottom of the box with the beef on top in a plastic container. The meat was still hot when I took it out of the box, and the heat pack was still very warm 3 hours later.

Comment

I've got a 28 qt cooler that will get the same treatment one of these days ... just as soon as I figure out how to stop using it as ad hoc storage for all the bits and pieces I need for my PBC ...

Comment

• EdF
                  EdF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Now that sounds like our place!

I use an old Coleman cooler that happens to have cup holders on the lid, just the right size. Works great for bigger events/meats.

Comment

Brilliant...👍

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here